UPDATE: Custom UI Timeline

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Oct 15, 2019.

1. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

It will be during that time frame, yes.
    Breanna, Schmetterling and Cyrrena like this.
  2. Noctew Active Member

Not much they can do about it at this point. The EQ2 engine is singlethreaded (with some multithreading bolted on in places where they could safely do it without a complete rewrite, e.g. resource loading when zoning), and CPU development took a different turn right about the time EQ2 was released: Intel could not fulfil their promise of 10 GHz single core CPUs instead more and more cores were added to CPUs over time. An AMD Threadripper CPU has 16 physical/32 virtual cores...and the game can only use one of them. But that's just the way it is. Most of the time - except in raid situations - EQ2 has no problem reaching 30 or even 60 fps despite these limitations, when at launch you were lucky to get 15 with graphics turned way down.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  3. Suziekew New Member

Well, I don't get it. I hear people talking about lag all the time and I have played EQ2 since beta and never once experienced any sort of lag, even in raids, unless there was something dire happening to my server. I have had a few computers along the way, but none of them multi-thousand, state-of-the-art. They are custom, but just regular.

I've played with and without custom UIs and have used Profit, Fetish and, currently DarqUI. I don't know why people complain about lag but I don't think disabling the UIs is the answer. As someone said, if you're going to do this, then do it on test and offer a good incentive for people to come over there to raid. As for me, I'll be looking for a really good perk or refund for the week I won't get to play. Yes, I'm a snowflake but I no longer raid and really like my little comforts.
    Rosyposy and Naramsin like this.
  4. Tkia Well-Known Member

Actually, it is. I had to do exactly that recently when I bought a new laptop with a high res screen. Text on screen was so small that I couldn't read anything and only the chat windows have any font size control. After dropping the res to increase text size I found I can no longer fit all my bags/boxes on screen when I open them. And this is using a custom UI piece that reduces the size of my bag windows. Come default UI time those windows are going to be off screen, multiple stacked, buried and all sorts of unusable until they put the UIs back.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  5. Schortt Active Member

Good Lord people you would think the world was coming to an end. Its not. Will it be an inconvenience for some? mostly healers mind you. Yes. But the developers need us to try to go about business as normal as possible to get whatever data they can the help out. If they can figure anything out a weeks worth of time is no biggie. Ever thought that they have some bigger plans that they could do if they can tone down the lag issue? Our raid force tried to do Ragrax 12 last night. And the lag made it virtually impossible. I for one am going to "tough" it out and do what I can to help.
  6. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

I can easily tell you the reason of the lags - it's numbers. Millions, Billions...can you even imagine 294792038202 in a binary format? The amount of data transfering back and forth? Amount of items in bags, banks, different currency in our wallets?

The only way to get rid of lags is to reduce the amount and numbers of variables in the game. Honestly, why do we need spell dc, ability dc, flurry, multiattack for example? Haste, casting speed, recast, recovery? Combain these in to two stats with similar effects. Let Haste, for instance, affect cast speed and recast, remove the rest. If you need weapon attack faster just reduce it's delay.

And so on and so forth.
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you feel this way, but they announced last week that custom UIs would be turned off this week.
    Breanna, Schmetterling and Dude like this.
  8. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Why pay raiders to play on Test? Test is there all the time and they cannot be bothered for the most part to go there and test things.

Why doesn't Gninja just come and visit us on Test, give those of us on Test raid gear and lead us in Raids so they can test what they wish to test?
  9. Dockter Well-Known Member

No, actually they didn't announce last week "when"....
  10. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

They did not give a specific date, they said next week, which is now this week, but now they have given a specific date which is actually now next week, so you have an extra week with your custom UIs.
    Feldon, Blazen, JemAs and 2 others like this.
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

The lag on that fight isn't about custom UIs.. it's about the number of mobs and the massive number of dets they're putting on us. Extra lag when lots of mobs and dets are flying around isn't something new or unknown.
    Gillymann, Rosyposy, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If they did nothing to try and find the source of the lag and fix it, then the shouting would be:

"I am quitting because DBG obviously cares nothing for their customers as they have done nothing about this lag and its on their side as I have no issues with other games."

They are investigating and trying to find the source so they can fix it, but they need people to continue to play so they have people on the servers as normal and so the shouting is this:

"You are inconveniencing me, so I am not going to play until you no longer are doing so."
    "You should not be doing this on my server."
    "This has nothing to do with the lag, test something else."

So DBG is not going to win no matter what they do. People need to stop and think, ok take the week off, don't play, and maybe the UIs will have to be disabled longer because there are not enough people participating to get them the data the need.
    Bishia, Rosyposy, JemAs and 3 others like this.
  13. Leed Active Member

Don't forget - on top of that in order to incentivize people to keep playing specifically during that week they are offering bonuses specifically during that week. What do people do? 'But I want that bonus some other week so I don't have to log in during that specific week.' (Completely missing the reason the bonus is there)
    Bishia, Blazen and Cyrrena like this.
  14. Tkia Well-Known Member

For some people it's a lot more than an inconvenience. Due to issues in the default UI like lack of font size control taking away a custom UI that gives it can make the game unplayable for the duration for anyone with vision issues for instance.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  15. Songwind Member

How do I switch from my custom UI back to default? "/load default settings" in game does nothing, /load_uisettings only brings up ones I have stored, changed the eq2.ini file to point to default and that did not work, "/loadskin default 1" did not work. Tried Day Break suggestion (alt+o) and choosing the 'Load UI Skin' button on the lower right side on the General tab. All UI's loaded, including the default, will be listed for you to choose from, there was no Load UI Skin button.
  16. roliin New Member

time for eq2 vacation why don't you guys make the default UI more usable
  17. Sabap New Member

For what it's worth, I have been leveling a bunch of my toons by doing the questline in Plane of Magic. That said, every time I turn in the first quest from "Shirada" in the "Khali'Vahla", I get a message that says "Are you sure you want to reset your UI, all of your windows and hotbars will be set to their defaults" (or some iteration of that). This has happened every time on 6 different occasions, only on that 1st quest (consistently reproducible), also FWIW I am using the DarqUI with EQ2 Maps.
    Perhaps there IS an issue with the custom UI's. I hope this test yields some positive results. I realize it is inconvenient, however, on the other hand, I am glad to see work/maintenance going in to the game.
    Bishia, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  18. Mermut Well-Known Member

If you made a heroic toon, that's the cause, not the custom UI.
    Heroic toons can use a specific setup and prompt you if you want to swap or something, I believe. I've never used the heroic toon setup, but I remember that causing oddities back when they came out.

I've used a custom UI since I started raid healing (right before Sentinal's Fate came out) and I've never been prompted about resetting my UI.
    Cyrrena and Dude like this.
  19. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I don't know what people are going on about , I play on a laptop , I use the default UI and I can change the size of the bag slots .
    There are no frames on my windows unless I want it
    I don't know if that would be unfair , but have you people looked at the old UI lately ?
    Like I said some of the things are not as elegant as the custom ones , but it is still functional.
    try out all the ways you can customize the good old in game UI.
    I have all 10 action bars on my screen and so on and I have most of my screen empty so I can see the action
    One problem I got with the in game UI is as a healer I can see what's going on in my group but in raid I can't see who needs cures in other groups .
    I was in a pretty active raiding guild and they had a workaround by calling out such curses on voice chat.
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Dude like this.
  20. Zinj Well-Known Member

I've been using the default UI since day one.
    Cyrrena, Schmetterling and Zeddicious like this.