UPDATE: Custom UI Timeline

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

That custom XML file in Profit has two roots -- it's surprising that it works without crashing anything.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyrrena like this.
  2. Lillaanya New Member

Is it intended that I have to reload my custom ui every single time I log in? This is really annoying.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Dude Well-Known Member

I use DS
    I use DarqUI and do not have to load it every time. You might try updating your UI. If that doesn't help, you might try asking for help on the forums of the UI.
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

the /loadui for me was once. I changed accounts, didn't have to do it there.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I also use DarqUI and only had to change it once and it works for all 4 accounts.
  6. Prox Well-Known Member

Mine was a mess ....I ended up deleting the game from laptop and desktop and starting fresh .
  7. Breanna Well-Known Member

8. Prox Well-Known Member

It may have been operator error too.....lol
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I think that's even more painful. :(

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Geroblue and Breanna like this.
  10. Cataclysm Active Member

Of course you can run it in a lower resolution, but that's not the point. Plus it's 2019 not 2015.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  11. Cataclysm Active Member

"Yes its no problem to turn down our screen resolutions"
    Actually it is, because if you use display scaling (which most people do with a 4K monitor) your Windows UI will be too big when reduced to 1080p.. So you'd have to screw with that too, just for one game.
    The image also does not look as good as on a 1080p monitor due to not being native resolution.
    Not to mention everything else you use on that monitor will now be much lower resolution.
    Remember you bought that 4K monitor and 4K graphics card for a reason, to see things in 4K.
    What's worse is that none of the issue are to do with performance, just UI scaling.
    A quick and dirty interim fix for this would be a pixel doubler in EQ2 on the horiz and vert.

"4K have a 16 times higher graphic RAM usage as 1K "

Completely wrong. 4K has 4x the frame buffer size of 1920x1080p. Texture stay exactly the same size in VRAM or RAM across the PCIe bus. Graphics cards have had no issue with 4K for well over 6 years now. The problem is COMPLETELY to do with EQ2 and nothing else.
    Snikkety likes this.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The EQ2 game engine handles most graphics rendering via the CPU, not the GPU. Some while back they tried to shift more rendering to the GPU, and that's when we got GPU shadows. It's really baked into the original game engine so hard that it's apparently going to take a whole new game engine, and EQ3, for it to be updated.
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

My opinion is that not many that play the game here have 4k monitors.

I have a 40" 1080p one, best I can afford. And it was on sale due to the 4k ones coming in.
    Snikkety, Cyrrena, Rosyposy and 2 others like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thank you for using that term (EQ3)! :D

And yeah, that was a SONY/SOE thing, I think. They (especially SONY) had bet on the idea that CPU single cores would keep improving to the point where they got to like double-digit GHz speeds, etc., etc., etc., and that only idiots would bet on things like video and sound cards having their own PUs and that more than one core would be installed at a time in a computer (how many folks don't have at least double or quad cores now?).

But then again, these were the same folks who tried to bring people Betamax... :-/

Uwk