UPDATE: Custom UI Timeline

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I didn't have to revert to "default" (the Blood-Red Spray vs. the Original Lovely Blue, which I had to select again once the Blood-Red Spray came in, back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) once I logged in after 10/22; it was just there, and a rather unpleasant surprise (I've been busy with non-EQ2 things and missed the notice beforehand). :-/

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Geroblue like this.
  2. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

if my dealing without my UI for a week determines that UIs are not the cause, and that something else is the issue, and causes it to be corrected, thus granting me smoother playtime, then that is what I will do, gladly, and accept the smoother gameplay in the long run. a week is a short amount of time compared to the 4.5second delay I face in raid when I can't press my buttons for those 12 hours a week I raid. I'd really hold the complaints unless they say they're not turning them back on at all. Then, by all means, blow up. This is not directed at just you, but everyone I've heard and read complaining about the lack of custom ui. Yes it sucks. But it's one more step that shows they're actually doing something to try to correct an issues - one more step of ruling something out as a cause. It's a pain, but i'd rather go with it and maybe, hopefully, see the game grow a little bit, than not.
    Cyrrena, Xille, Rosyposy and 2 others like this.
  3. Frogert New Member

I would have to say after raiding all with without custom UI that while some zones (Earth Tier4) still have some lag, as a whole every RAID zone had a drastic reduction in lag or no lag at all. To me this says something is wrong with at least 1 of the custom UI, much like Profit was causing lag several years back I would assume there is a Custom UI spamming something to to the server causing lag. This wasn't a single night either we raided every night Mon-Thursday. It was very noticeable and almost make me dread them turning the UI back on. Hopefully they discover the specific problem.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

Well I can say that during raids I was seen no change with/without Custom UI (I use Profit UI). However, zoning was problem before and still a problem now.
    Obano likes this.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

I've seen zero change in button lag in raids myself...
    Rebelde, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Button lag was bad tonight.
    Cyrrena, Breanna, Obano and 1 other person like this.
  7. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Seems like the 2015 test still rings true today.

Rip 1 week of UI's.
  8. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

Because many people decided to take vacation from the game while "the UI event" lasts. There are hardly any groups forming now even in the prime time.

I never really had issue with lags, and there is definitely no difference with, or without custom UI on the matter. But there is a difference to my eyes with this bloody red UI!
    Xille, Rhodris, Cyrrena and 3 others like this.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen! :-/

Uwk
    eagerly awaiting the return of the Cool Blue :)
    Xille, Cyrrena, Rosyposy and 2 others like this.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I ran CD PUGs, my guild raided, I ran solos and PQs. My guild and other friends did the same, and we didn't "cheat" by jiggering things to use a custom UI, although I know for a fact that a number of people did, which would contaminate the data.
  11. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Before I spend more money in EQ/EQ II, I'm going to wait and see if the custom UIs get turned back on or not.
    Modification, if necessary, I can live with that, but the default needs a major over haul.
    Cyrrena and Snikkety like this.
  12. Melt Actually plays the game

I know for a fact that many people not playing as a result of the UIs being turned off will also contaminate the data... this is an intrinsically flawed test, because there are too many variables to just say "Yeah that's the problem."

There are many many people who aren't playing because of no UIs, there are many people not playing because content has just fallen flat for them. The last few months before an xpac are always the most empty. If they do decide that the UIs are causing the lag, the lag will definitely be fixed because a lot of people will quit if they're turned off permanently. I understand the want to find the source of lag, but if it ultimately is the UI, I'm sure a lot of people would rather have lag and UIs and no lag and default.
    Cyrrena and Geroblue like this.
  13. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

My main objection is the collour theme. I'm a scholar and a teacher; every day I spend hours reading,writing, typing, checking students homework. My eyes just bleed when I see this red UI after a day of work.
  14. Xevran Well-Known Member

The red color is pretty awful. Most games use blues/grays/tans for UI elements for a reason. I can get over the color pretty easily though, I care more about functionality and some of the default windows are lacking basic functions that custom UIs have. Like the Crafting and Broker windows.
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Crafting a level 6 chair, with a level 10 crafting character, is a major pain. Don't know if its the default UI or not.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyrrena like this.
  16. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

If anything I lag worse now than I did running Profit. So may I please have my UI and maps back please?
    Cyrrena, Mermut and Rosyposy like this.
  17. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Open your EQ2 installation folder, then the UI folder. There is the Default folder, and a folder called Default_Blue. Copy everything in Default_Blue and paste it into the Default folder, and you get rid of the red. It doesn't bother the Launcher, it does not repatch to the red scheme.
  18. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I don't even notice the red. I guess I hate it so much that my brain has decided to filter it out.
  19. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

Thank you Sigrdrifa!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  20. Abasinolanam Active Member

I don't think that keeping the custom UIs off permanently was ever mentioned. They know that would be a deal breaker and cause mass exodus.

The sad thing is that I don't think this experiment proved anything. But at least they're trying to identify the source of the lag and I appreciate the efforts.