UPDATE: Custom UI Timeline

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Davl Rannos New Member

Been thinking this for a long time, the numbers these machines are crunching now are pretty insane, wonder what a division by 1000 or 10000 would do to the game as a whole
  2. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Sufficient lag this morning I had a difficult time inventorying my characters. I gave up.
    Cyrrena and Feldon like this.
  3. Xevran Well-Known Member

So, are custom UIs being turned back on today?
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It's not the size of the numbers. The computer is internally not representing them the way you see them. Remember, bits, bytes, etc. IF there is a number-related issue, it will lie in how many calculations are required to calculate each hit, heal, etc.

I suspect that Windows is the source of the memory leak, it's notorious for not recycling handles.

My bet for what is actually causing lag is (1) automated bot programs and/or (2) need for server hardware upgrades. But, who knows?
    Cyrrena, Xille, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  5. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

They are not, the planned downtime is Tuesday 22 - Tuesday 29.
    Xevran and Breanna like this.
  6. Feldon Well-Known Member

The lag has persisted despite UIs being defaulted to standard -- if not actually enforced -- for 3 days and prior tests of raid content with the default UI enabled. The idea that custom UIs are causing server lag (where servers are inundated with requests and are unable to respond in a timely manner) was improbable before this test and should be confirmed to not be the problem at this point.
    A memory leak in the client -- and I say this as someone who can rarely run the EQ2 client for more than about 30 minutes before it crashes the whole computer -- would not cause server lag.
    Cyrrena, Tkia, Xille and 3 others like this.
  7. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

strange, I can run single or multiple instances on one PC for hours without the client or entire OS crashing,...
    but perhaps not so strange after all, as I use a slipstreamed, security-tweaked/hardened, superfluousness-removed/disabled version of win7pro64bit on all but one system, the exception is a similarly tweaked version of win7ult64bit.
    /shrug
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  8. Dude Well-Known Member

I run Windows 10 straight out of the box, store installed build and have no problems with crashing ever.
    Cyrrena, Bekkr, Siren and 2 others like this.
  9. Xevran Well-Known Member

Ok thanks for responding. Guess I'll have to brave the hedge maze without a map.
    Cyrrena, Siren and Breanna like this.
  10. Raff Well-Known Member

I don't find the lag all that unplayable. Sure, it spikes from time to time. So, just cool your heels until it levels back out.

And even if the lag causes you to lose a bit of loot or fail an encounter? So what....cause it's just a game, right?
    Cyrrena likes this.
  11. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I can feel happy playing, or I can feel tormented.

I prefer to feel happy. Very much prefer.

My days of trying to keep the air search radar working in a storm at sea is over !
    ( Last sentence posted for dramatic effect. Not to be taken seriously, even though I have done that... but it was last century.)

Good grief. I'm still having problems getting used to saying, and typing, the phrase 'last century'.
    Cyrrena, Cuelaen and Rosyposy like this.
  12. Chrisworld Active Member

So we're not even allowed to use the default blue UI during this? Bummer, I really hate the red one and switched back to the blue one years ago, not long after red became the default.
  13. Mermut Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they've set the UI to default only by forcing the game to only look at the default ui directory.. not even the default_blue directory
    Cyrrena likes this.
  14. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I know, right?! Me too!
  15. Siren Well-Known Member

I have never run a custom UI in EQ2 in 15 years, I know that freakin' hedge (and McScroogle's Frostfell ice maze) like the back of my hand, and furthermore have never run a custom UI in any game, ever, and am an MMORPG junkie, lol.

I can barely remember breakfast; if I can do this every year, so can you. :)
    Raff, Cyrrena, Xevran and 2 others like this.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Go to the EQ2Map website, look up the map, and if needed, print it. It will be a help.
  17. Moparfan New Member

In the 11 or so years I've been playing this game I can count on one hand how many times I've had the game crash. Using multiple machines with Windows XP, 2000, Windows 7 and now Windows 10.

I have a feeling a lot of people simply don't have optimized computers, machines full of bloatware, spyware, un-optimized connections, not proper DirectX 9.0c installed, etc. I mean come on, if it's a memory leak why have none of my machines experienced it? And I've had many days of playing 6+ hours straight zoning a lot etc.

Just saying.
    Raff, Cyrrena, Bekkr and 2 others like this.
  18. Hennyo Member

Want to point out for people who think this, that any memory leak in this game is "graphics" related, and typically will only happen with some of the more advanced options enabled, like certain shadow effects with long draw distances.

Even then, I wouldn't say the game exactly has a "leak", just that some zones with certain effects request more memory than is allowed with a 32bit program causing it to crash.

To this day, with the right settings, moving in the correct way, you can crash the game in Greater Faydark from having a memory overflow error. In fact, during he xpac that zone was current, a dev at the time outlined in a forum post how to enable 4gb instead of a 3gb memory buffer for the game.

That said, if you just run the game on standard settings with a good computer, it typically is very stable and will rarely crash.
    Siren and Cyrrena like this.
  19. Bekkr Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know it's true-ish. My confusion is because A: that was a really long time ago and "last I heard" seems incongruous, and B: that's not at all why the first time combine xp was nerfed and I'm finding it hard to believe Feldon doesn't know that.

Also to my knowledge it wasn't just sages but all the scholar professions and I never saw any of said whining before the change (though there's been evidently no end of it after the fact), nor was that ever part of Domino's explanation. The change makes a lot of sense and was a generally good idea. Tradeskill quest and writ xp was upped pretty significantly at the same time to make up for it. All other professions ended up leveling faster than previously, and scholar classes were only slowed down a small amount.
    Rhodris likes this.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yep, Default Blue as well. >:-/

Uwk
    who has to wonder: why Default Blue? It was the ORIGINAL COLOR; if anything, the New Blood-Red Sprayed All Over the Screen is the more recent "choice," but we still got to make it -- well, we had to beg to get our original Blue back, but at least, we could... :-/
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.