1. baconlettuceandtomato Active Member

It really really pisses me off when I look up something on the broker, find it listed for sale in someone's house, switch chars to get the right alignment, travel there, and then find out they haven't paid their rent and I can't get in their house.

It seems to me I'm being penalized (wasting my time) because they haven't paid their rent. Why does the broker list their house if it's not open to the public? Is there UI some clue I'm missing that would tell me they aren't open for visitors?
    Xsara, Quillyne, Feldon and 5 others like this.
  2. Buffrat Well-Known Member

If your house isn't open to visitors it won't display their house location on the broker, so.
  3. Ketu Member

I've experienced this a few times and there's nothing you can do except try to contact the seller. It's especially annoying if you're trying to buy something worth thousands of plat. Wouldn't it be great if you could pay their rent to get in?
  4. flameweaver Well-Known Member

I know they won't, but they could fix the code so that houses with unpaid rent were treated as not accepting visitors, which would remove the problem described by the OP
  5. Feara Well-Known Member

I have sent mail to the seller in hopes that it doesn't happen to the next player. I have never received a response back.
  6. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

This is annoying. And it never fails to be somewhere I don't often go, like Kelethin, so by the time I get there ready to drop big plat, I've wasted time and all for nothing. I wish that if your rent isn't paid it reflects that on the broker, and shows it without the address.
    suka, Dulcenia, aspekx and 6 others like this.
  7. Maltaros Active Member

*smile* This is why I put all of my vendor boxes in a prestige house.
  8. Xillean Well-Known Member

Yeah its supper annoying, After wasting my time several times I just gave up, if the house is a prestige one ill go since it doesn't have rent, but if its one of the others bleh :/
    aspekx and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  9. Buffrat Well-Known Member

Must be a new bug then, since in the past when my house dropped to unpaid it removed my house listing from the broker.
    Finora and Spindle like this.
  10. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I save up my loyalty tokens and place four chests in non prestige homes so this never is an issue.
  11. Ynnek Well-Known Member

On the other side of the coin.... we need a "just pay my damn rent automatically" checkbox.

In the old days, the devs stated they didn't want the possibility of something automatically draining someone's account if they didn't log in for a while. The economy has changed since then, plat balances have gone up, and housing costs have gone down.

Last time I did the math, my balance could autopay my house rent for the next 10,000 years...
  12. Feara Well-Known Member

YES WE DO! This is exactly the kind of unpaid rent rage that really gets me :mad:.
  13. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Even if it just auto paid it from the money "on the door" I'd be thrilled. Just slap ten plat there and forget about it.
  14. Xianthia Well-Known Member

There is a flaw in the system. (not discussing prestige homes) If you own multiple homes and one of the homes has the rent paid (even if it's not the one being used to sell from) the broker will show that home as still open to buy.

Before multi-house owning came into being I used to use the broker as my "oops I have to pay rent". I'd check myself and any alt on the broker and if it showed their house closed to go to purchase from I'd run and pay. It no longer shows that, even when I've purposely let the rent lapse to see if would show up as not available.

(hope that made sense in what I was trying to describe)

Edite - may not be a "flaw" per se, system just needs a tweak or two.
    Finora and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  15. baconlettuceandtomato Active Member

Um, so are you saying that if somebody only has one house and hasn't paid rent their house won't be listed by the broker, so no one will go there unnecessarily, but if they have two houses, and have paid the rent on only one, and the sales display is in the unpaid house, then that's when I go there for nothing?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Basically. X-P

But yeah, I always wondered about that...and it seems to be even more recent than multi-housing; like, perhaps, when more and better Search functions were added, or the Bag Pour, or something? Around about that time, anyway, is where I starting noticing it, but I'll take folks' word for it here that it was earlier. Dang! :(

But the idea of putting all sales crates in a prestige house is brilliant (thanks, Maltaros!)! Now just to base the prestige place in someplace neutral, so anyone can get to it... X-D

Uwk
    who wonders: does it list which "side" the prestige house is on (Qeynos or Freeport) on the Broker, and is glad that ALL the Uwk Horde-ling toons on the Gold account can have a Mistmoore Crags Estate for free (good Veteran Reward! Now, just to get a better one for the "real" 10-Year Anniversary...)
    Xianthia and Xillean like this.
  17. Xianthia Well-Known Member

Yes, that is what I'm saying.
  18. flameweaver Well-Known Member

There's always the option of the prestige house in Thurgadin, a bit of a trek to get there but at least it's neutral.
    As an alternative, purchase a cheap house in New Halas/Gorowyn, and 4 x treasure horde's (1 from veteran claim and 3 from Loyalty Merchant) purchased and placed by the character owning the house will give 100% rent reduction and resolve the problem of unpaid rent.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Avahlynn like this.
  19. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Maj'dul also works if your toon is over 60ish, and thus the aggro is grey.

To Uwk: Doing the large Qeynos homes 2 and 4 Bayle Court (I think) they are right there at the portals for the prestige homes and the area isn't heavily patrolled. I've taken an evil aligned toon through one of those Qeynos homes to the prestige portal many times with nary an issue. Freeport is a bit harder.
  20. Ahupu Well-Known Member

Not really Avahlynn, since you can use the housing and leaderboard to visit any house in the city you are in, from anywhere in the city, or go to any of your own houses from any city that can be bound in (alignment is immaterial, as long as A player can set their bind point there you, can go to your own houses).