Uniquely EQ2

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ColbyJack, Feb 13, 2016.

1. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

I'm gathering a thread of things that are unique to this game, for reasons I'm keeping quiet at the moment, and I was hoping people could help me out!

What I'm wondering are what are some things that are unique to EQ2? Like, you don't really see them in other games or they hold a ton of lore or whatevs. I'd love to see screenshots as well, if you've got them. Just a cornucopia of awesomeness that is this game!

Ideas good for this thread
    • Notable NPCs
    • Unique mobs, monsters, and mounts
    • Special fluff or deity pets
    • Bosses and/or unique boss fights
    • Landscapes or zones
    • Notable PCs (go ahead, you know you want to say your character is bomb)
    • Notable people in general
    Ideas NOT suitable for this thread
    • PVP discussion
    • Why TLE is broken and doesn't meet your expectations
    • Why the Devs are broken and don't meet your expectations
    • This game is not unique lol WOW was first EQ2 copied everyone
    • Why this thread sucks
    • TLE still needs fixed why is it still broken Devs suck
  2. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

the housing, mainly prestige and all the unique ways people design them or redesign therm.
    Cloudrat, Febrith, suka and 3 others like this.
  3. Aivet Well-Known Member

Cool idea, I look forward to reading some of the lore boffins' responses.

(Caution: possible utter ignorance of lore, but hopefully I'll get it mostly right). For my money, one of the unique things about EQ2 is the fact that the sky has changed. As in, we had an explodey moon, then Kerafrym was locked back up in there and now the moon's less explodey. So the actions of the players have actually altered the solar system in which the game takes place. Not terribly common for fantasy type games, I would think.
    SierraDawn, claudia6913 and Ceyllynn like this.
  4. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

That's actually something very very cool I hadn't considered, for sure.
    SierraDawn likes this.
  5. Meirril Well-Known Member

I'm just going to start off with saying that WoW and EQ2 have a history of co-development. If you look at how they developed it is quite obvious that the designers of each game were watching the other one and they weren't shy about adopting ideas from the other game.

That said, EQ2 does have a few gems that other games haven't replicated. I've actually been surprised that other games haven't adopted the collection system into their games. Shinny hunting occupies hundreds of hours and is a real driving force for some players. For something that doesn't really impact your characters performance, it significantly impacts the player experience in a very positive manner.

Tradeskills are also something that EQ2 developed and gave a higher amount of importance than most other MMOs. I can't think of any other games that have a series of quests dedicated to crafting for the sake of crafting. Also the process of crafting is a bit more involved than just collecting the materials like most crafting systems. I can think of other games with more involved crafting mechanics, but the overall experience of crafting in EQ2 is exceptional.

Lore wise EQ2 probably has the most convoluted set of deities of any MMO. Huge families of deities that bicker amongst themselves often breaking out in fights between deities. Most other games have a paper-doll that sits behind the story and just acts as a plot device. In the past EQ2's deities feel more like they have personalities and their actions are based on that with the story coming from them, rather than their actions being dictated by the story. Unfortunately that has been lost in more recent EQ2 events. The prophecy was more important than what individual deities would do, and indeed in Norrath's darkest hour the gods were surprisingly silent and inactive. Instead of every deity attempting to solve the problem, only a few actors took the stage. A poor decision.
    Febrith, suka, SierraDawn and 5 others like this.
  6. Spindle Well-Known Member

I'll pretty partial to my weirdo Dark Goblin Bat mount. I have some of the other strange mounts, too. The variety is nice the artwork for the mounts is astounding.

Co-development? You mean the teams and companies actually worked together on WoW and EQ2? That's pretty trippy.
    claudia6913 and Ceyllynn like this.
  7. HaphazardAllure Well-Known Member

Leaper mounts, for one. I've never seen mounts that could jump crazy high in another mmo and it amuses the hell out of me. I'll probably be back to add more to this thread later. :)
    suka, SierraDawn, Prissetta and 2 others like this.
  8. Xerikton Active Member

aa's have been rather unique to the eqs. rift tried to copy them but here once at max level it is all about the aa's and max tier of spells. other mmos just have gear.

spell tiers (lacking a better word) is unique to eq2

there are so many things in crafting too.
    suka and Prissetta like this.
  9. Avithax Well-Known Member

In 2008 I invited a lady to group with me in Jarsath Wastes, we never disbanded and are still happily married. I'm definitely not the only one with this type of EQ2 story but it's the only game i've heard of where a lot of couples met by chance and went on to make families and even 2nd generation players in measurable numbers.
  10. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Not played that many different MMORPGs but the epic weapon quests that started in EQ and now in EQ2. For each class and different than each other. Each told a story and was worth doing at the time in both EQ and EQ2. Even if just to separate the type of players from each other (ie: In EQ it was said "There are two types of Shadowknights. Those with their Epic of Innoruuk's Curse... and all the others).
    suka and HaphazardAllure like this.
  11. Meirril Well-Known Member

Umm...no. That isn't what I meant at all. What I mean is a mechanic appeared in one game, and months or even years later ended up in the other game. Some people would call it taking inspiration from other games. Others would call it blatantly ripping off the competition. Both teams of designers are guilty of it.
    suka and Spindle like this.
  12. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Meirril, both companies admitted that they play other games to learn from them, so that's why we see elements appear in this game. Nothing wrong with learning from your enemies, after all.
    Cloudrat, suka and Berserkerkitten like this.
  13. Rainmare Well-Known Member

they were trying to solve the problem. the Council of the Gods was trying to figure out a way to deal with a Diety-killing capable dragon, that they couldn't kill because killing him would unleash the power and undo creation. Rallos said 'screw you all, i'm kicking his ****' with the alternate plan of stealing the Godslaying power for himself to rule the other Gods with it as the 'King of Kings'.

to do that, he had to manifest, fully, on Norrath. which is why he was going to eat/sacrifice his 3 most powerful kids. Sullon took exception to that, and the Gods decided, that Rallos needed to be put down for the greater good. So Sullon has us face her and her brothers to prove we are capable, then helped us face Rallos. Killed him, dividing his power amongst themselves to become the Hounds of War.

though I like the idea of the dieties, and I think also uniquely, are not all just 'elemental' powers. we got Earth/Fire/Water/Air...but we also got 'emotional' powers like Hate/Love/Fear/Lust...and even some abstract ideas like Tranquility/Dreams/Nightmares/Torment
    suka, Kurisutaru, Spindle and 5 others like this.
  14. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

I play MMOs for a living, so I can't really think of an awful lot of things I've only ever seen on EQ(2) and no other game out there. Age of Conan uses AAs and even calls them exactly that, different spell tiers are at least as old as Wizardry and Final Fantasy, housing is featured in a ton of games and has been there since Ultima Online, a system incredibly similar to item infusion was introduced to Neverwinter and Star Trek Online about a year ago, epic gear quest lines at least as old as Final Fantasy XI. And yes, that's an MMO, even older than WoW.... but there's still a lot of stuff that makes EQ2 stand out to me.

I'd say the massive selection of races and classes is pretty unique, especially with the more exotic stuff like Frogloks and Ratonga. EQ2 also features some of the best, funniest and wittiest writing I've seen in an MMO, and it's full of jokes, references and easter eggs, some of which might elude average Joe on their adventures in Norrath.

I think the way EQ2 treats female characters is pretty unique, too. Queen Antonia is a (secret) badass, but unlike female characters in most other MMOs she doesn't need a thong and a tank top to be awesome. Put a suit of heavy plate armor on a female character and the stuff doesn't magically transform into a metal bikini the way it does in almost every other game out there. There's a bit of an uproar going through the WoW community right now, just because the devs decided to cover up Sylvanas' navel for the first time since... well, ever, really.

Faction betrayal is pretty big and unique in my opinion. I'm sure there are other games out there that allow you to change sides, but I've been wanting to play a Tauren on WoW and betray the Horde ever since I transferred my first Ratonga to Qeynos, back when they were still evil. But Blizzard won't allow it. Of course nowadays I can just use the travel globe on EQ2 to journey right into the enemy capital and the stupid guards will even cheer at me, but betrayal was a pretty cool thing before they messed it up. I can't think of any good, major MMO off the top of my head which has a proper betrayal mechanic.
    Somebody already mentioned the crafting, so that's a big deal, too, of course. Tradeskill timelines and special rewards, the possibility to become a dedicated crafter rather than an adventurer, I haven't seen such complex crafting in a lot of other games, except maybe certain other former SOE titles, which have since been shut down.

I think the way titles and surnames are handled on EQ2 is pretty unique, as well. This may not be a big deal to lots of people, but I think it's pretty awesome how some of your titles are tied to your AAs. A lowly adventurer, who starts his Journey as "Bob" may eventually become Slayer Bob Bobbington the Living Saga. I like what these titles say about the characters. Most other games only reward titles for completing certain quests and achievements. Yes, EQ2 does that as well, but takes things a little further imo.
    Also, collections. Probably not 100% unique anymore today, but no other game lets me pick up such a massive selection of beetles and moths. :p
    Cloudrat, Thoas, Febrith and 10 others like this.
  15. Rainmare Well-Known Member

Also the holidays where you actually help/see the gods (some in mortal guises) is great and again unique

the lady on Nek beach during NoTD, her name is an anagram for Terris Thule, Demi-Goddess of Nightmares
    there's a questline to help many incarnations of Bristlebane, who reveals himself at the end for Bristlebane Day
    You can see Brell during Brewday, and even get quests from him.
    the big Heroes Festival quest giver is an anagram from Morelle Thule, Demi-god of Dreams
    we had questlines that we got to meet Erollisi Marr during Erollisi Day, and even a follower turned evil turned demi-goddess rival as the Lady of Insurrection Ullkorruk.

I like that the godly 'families' aren't always the same alignment, nor do they always get along.

Xev Bristlebane (greed) is an evil bastard, while Fizzlethorpe Bristlebane (mischief) is a chaotic good guy.
    Innorruuk (hate) is not on friendly terms with his daughter Lanys (Envy/Malice)
    Rallos Zek (War) is/was an evil arrogant *******, while his three most known kids, Tallon, Vallon, and Sullon Zek (Tactics/Strategy/Rage) are of a more neutral bend.
    Fennin and Soluesk Ro (Fire/Flame and/or Sun) are known for their decidedly vicious temper tantrums, while Ayonae and Druzzil Ro (Music/Magic) are known for more temperate and kindly actions.

They can even have intimate involvements/crushes such Varig Ro has a crush on Erollisi Marr, or that Quellious (tranquility) and Cazic Thule (Fear) apparently jointly created Morelle and Terris Thule. Terris taking after dad, and morelle after mom.
  16. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

I do agree, that the Gods that we have are unique and fun. I particularly have a massive crush on Solusek Ro, and I love seeing little clues that the Gods are dabbling in the affairs of mortals.

edit -- because Sullon has come up twice now, I love to mention that Sullon (as far as I know) is the only mortal to be elevated to Godhood.
    SierraDawn and Spindle like this.
  17. Badhealer Active Member

I like how EQ II carried much of the lore from their original game, it often brings back good memories when a quest item or NPC that I had long forgotten about is referenced. Not sure how many other games offer such a rich history. While the grind frustrates me at times, I still find EQ II has a good balance of unique quests & story lines to keep me interested.

My family loves crafting and some people refer to the game as Evercraft. EQ II has a huge head start on the competition with housing and decorating options. EQ1 has housing 'neighborhoods', that I would love to see in EQ II.

I am glad to see that EQII has offered a more diverse set of clothing styles. I agree with Berserkerkitten that it is nice that the full plate armor does not turn into a g-string on a female character. The same armor set should appear similar on male and female characters.

EQII does a good job combining many of the features I look for in an MMO, it has became the bar on which I judge new games. I have tried many other games including, DDO, Rift, Vanguard SOH, DAoC, GW2, Secret World, LoTR, UO, WoW, NWN... each has unique features that I would love to see in EQII, but overall they fell short on overall playability and enjoyment. The only game I enjoy as much as EQII is Skyrim, but that is a single player game and it is too easy to ~TGM.
    Febrith, SierraDawn, Spindle and 2 others like this.
  18. Nelie Well-Known Member

Like some, I am not familiar with a wide spread of MMOs out there and what they have exactly. I do like the customization effects of our weapons. My personal one is the Radiance effect.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    SierraDawn and Prissetta like this.
  19. Spindle Well-Known Member

Heck, I didn't take it badly as 'back in the day' I could see something like (as they are all sitting in the deli munching) 'Yo, dude, that sounds a tad far-fetched. You try it first. If it works for you, we'll stick in in somewhere not too obvious. If it sucks, we'll smack you in an Easter Egg. Deal? Deal, nom nom nom'

And, as mentioned, everyone played lots of different games. Heck, 'after hours' we'd pop open the tequila and hit Duke Nukem or Diablo or whatever. Some things don't change ))
  20. Dishes New Member

Now that I stopped playing, what I miss most about this game is exquisite chests dropping.