Undocumented Complex Systems

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Dockter, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Raeven Well-Known Member

Odd, according to a post I found on Reddit you need to have disassembled a piece of monolithic gear to see it, but you say you have not done that. Perhaps you just have to HAVE a piece of the monolithic gear to see it. Which I don't.

I am puzzled as to why a green adorn from VoV is purchasable in RoR with renewal talents.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Taled Well-Known Member

Monilith isn't 'a green adorn from VoV'; It *is* a green adorn from RoR that is only upgradeable (and purchasable) via removing the power/essence from the 'strongest gear' available in VoV.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Raeven like this.
  3. Sleppen Active Member

I gave up on trying to figure out all of this stuff a long time ago. I often read things here that I never knew about and never suspected. Example: that mercenaries from more recent seasons are more beneficial than mercenaries from earlier seasons, even though they are facially identical. I've farmed a celestial inquisitor for all of my characters (either Captain K the amnesiac zelmie or Zel the trash-talking snake). Now I'm not sure whether Tazi the desert inquisitor is actually more effective even though she is just treasured. Then there is all the stuff about what percentage of your stats go to a merc, depending on the tier of the merc, but once again, I found out about that right here. It's on the wiki, too, but why isn't this in the game?

As a soloist, I don't lose sleep over this stuff. I feel for those of you who do heroic or raid content. Figuring out all of the stats must be a nightmare. I don't even know what any of that stuff does. From reading posts here (especially Sig's posts), I have learned that Potency is good, Critical Damage Overcap might be important (to a soloist), and Resolve is meaningless (for a soloist). I still have no idea what Fervor actually does, but it seems like it might have some value. For that matter, I really don't know what CDO does, but I see people saying that it's really important in RoR.

By the way, I'm not inviting anyone to take the time to explain this stuff. I'm just posting it as an illustration. For me, the bottom line is that I can get gear that is sufficient for the solo content. It's just a little weird -- and annoying -- that I really don't know what a lot of the stats mean.
    Feara and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Almee Well-Known Member

A current example is what I complained about in my recent post here on the forum. As far as I know, all of my agents came as Overseer rewards so when Heist Societies- King of Thieves. requires devited and righteous agents I use those agents--or I try to, anyway.

But the game rejects them even though they get the little star under their iicon, showing they are the agents needed, yet the game says an agent is needed to do the quest.

On other quests, you can use any agent and it will accept it but you may not get anything more than a pitiful reward or a mishap. The quest still works.

But through at least three festival Overseer quest lines, agents have been rejected even though they are the ones required. I even took screenshots to prove it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to insert screenshots in the forum for whatever reason and I can't find directions to help me figure out why I can't add them to posts.

Anyway, this is just one example of the type of mechanic, either intended or a bug, that drives away new and returning players. The whole Overseer questline is pretty esoteric, in my opinion, but it really gets weird during festivals.
  5. Melkior Well-Known Member

Sig has explained the forums image issue a few times. Unlike Discord which lets you post images directly, you have to host the picture on another site, then link to it here. It's a bit of a pain, but there are a number of free sites that you can use for this purpose. I'll experiment with the issue you are having. I have yet to not be able to use the appropriate agent or have it rejected. That is in fact an odd bug.
    Almee, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Dude like this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I like DeviantArt.com, personally; they don't insist on you paying 5 arms and 3 legs for the privilege of posting what's suddenly "THEIR" images (I guess that's what's going on with those sites' mentality) like Imgur or Photobucket or Post-It or whoever it is that does that. X-P

At least dA is free. ;->

And Almee, "you just ain't lookin' right." --worm in Labyrinth

I've posted the instructions lots of times on the Homeshow forums! :D To wit:

1. Yep, get yourself a free (or at least cheap) image hosting site, Melkior's on the nose with that. :)

2. Open a post here.

3. Do whatever you have to do to your screenshot in MS Paint or wherever, then publish it to your 3rd-party hosting site.

4. Once published, what I do on dA is the following; ymmv:
    a. Right-click on the dA-published image. A drop-down menu comes up, with either options like "View Image" or "Open link in other tab" or whatever. Something similar. I click on whatever it takes to get me to a new tab/page/etc. where only the image is really there.
    b. I then Copy the URL across the top of that very no-frills resulting page (for anyone reading who doesn't know what a URL is [sorry to single you out, Mom! :D], it's the "address" of the web page you're currently looking at. The one at the top here, for example, is: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/undocumented-complex-systems.608453/page-2).
    c. I come back here to the open post.

5. Wherever you want to insert the image, an open post basically acts like a Word doc; just get the cursor where it's wanted, then hit the little "tree in a landscape" icon at the top of the post, to the left of the...filmstrip? for inserting videos (or "Media").

6. Paste the Copied URL into the blank line in the Insert/edit Image box, then hit the green Insert button.

7. Et voila! :D

Good luck! :)

Uwk
    who thinks, "If this still doesn't work for her, I don't know what I'm gonna tell her; this is the only way I know... :-/"
    Breanna and Almee like this.
  7. RubyHOF Member

I'd like to add to this list:

Resolve Buff Packages. IE, what exactly is being debuffed besides potency, and by what amount? This should be publicly available information and failure to show this information creates huge disparities in player effectiveness.
    Feara and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  8. Naramee Active Member

on one side you are right on the other no or maybe not but just to take the monolithic adornment stuff. They did not seem to have thought this realy through so people hat the chance to use a bug. If they had and explained before hand they would not have the probs coming to them after wards as they did. So I would say maybe they should, at least a few things. I still wonder if that gm from years ago was right and the game is going down the drain within the next 1 or 2 years
  9. Almee Well-Known Member

I've been using Flikr, and maybe that is my problem, as I thought I had done what you suggested when trying to post an image. I'd get a little image box, but no image on the post, once it was posted, so I'd edit and delete the image box.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm...drat, that should've worked. :(

Or at least something like that procedure.. :-/

Uwk
    Almee likes this.
  11. Taled Well-Known Member

Some websites outright prevent third-party linking to their hosted content; I'm not sure whether Flikr is one of those. You can use Imgur, or post the image in Discord and link to the image the same way, without issues, typically.
    Almee and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  12. Shwetty Active Member

just post the pic in discord, then right click 'copy link' and paste the link into your post...viola
    Almee and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  13. Melkior Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly from other posts, Almee had some sort of technical issue trying to use Discord. It wasn't clear to me whether it was just the app, or the web version, or both.
  14. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

I would like to see a systems squash. Too many niche mechanics for a dwindling player base.
  15. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd be perfectly happy with adornments just being gone as a thing, entirely. This whole procedure of removing every single adornment from an item when you replace it for an upgrade, then plastering the adornments on to the new thing one at a time, it's tedious, it ain't fun and having to keep track of what combination of adornments you're using or what you're about to need for the content at hand is just ... bleh.

Having been away from the game for a very long time, I'm frustrated with much more simple and basic things than that, though. Player stats. I have no clue what any of them do or how high they should be. One the one hand, from what I understand there are only two attributes these days that matter for any character, one for damage and one for HP, the rest do nothing. On the other hand, there's potency, ability mod, fervor, crit, but also crit overcap, doublecast, multistrike ... Yes, some of them are pretty self-explanatory by their names, but I have no clue how to prioritise them, when to stop trying to raise them and focus on something else, some are also annoyingly vague in their description. My crit damage is now blue, and the game tells me this stat is now capped, so I'm guessing putting anything else into it is wasted? Why have I got several hundred percent block chance? How does that even manifest itself? If I remember correctly, ability mod raises ability damage by up to 50 percent or something, but it doesn't actually tell you how much of an effect your current ability mod actually has. You can literally put *millions* of points into it and I have no clue how much is too much. Or too little. Or just right.

I'm finally catching up on Ethereal Trackers, another fun feature the game doesn't really make you aware of in any way or tells you to catch up on if you haven't been around at the exact time they were introduced. I can upgrade my deity pet to give me higher attribute bonuses. I can upgrade a heroic AA to grant me significantly more ability mod points. Should I go for these? Are they significant? Do they still matter compared to, I dunno, crit overcap, fervor, potency, whatever is most important at the moment?

I agree that exploration and experimentation can be fun. Within reason. When it comes to just catching up on mechanics, trying to understand my class, wanting to become a better player, the game feels prohibitively cumbersome, clunky and overly complicated. I appreciate the wiki and all the helpful members of the community explaining some of these aspects. It just would be nice not to permanently depend on help and 3rd party websites for even a basic understanding of how things work. Do they offer college courses on EQ2?
  16. Almee Well-Known Member

Discord messes up the audio on my computer. I've had several very tech savvy people try to find a workaround without any luck. Right now, my audio is out again because I accidentally hit the Discord shortcut when moving my keyboard and I couldn't stop the program from loading. I removed the shortcut to keep it from happening in the future.

All of the tech savvy people said Discord is flaky about audio--especially on older computers (ASUS G751JL 17-Inch Gaming Laptop [2014 model]), and mine is a dinosaur, But it works great, so I keep using it. As long as I stay away from Discord, it does everything I want or need it to do.
  17. Melkior Well-Known Member

Yep, I thought I remembered something like that. Is that true of the web version as well? You can uninstall the App and just access it through the web browser. Does that cause the same issues?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Feara and Almee like this.
  18. Almee Well-Known Member

I honestly have no idea. I installed Discord on my computer. Then my game friends had me install it on my cell phone, so we could talk via Discord, and in the end everything got balled up and I just gave up. Chemo, traumatic brain injuries, radiation, and Parkinson's haven't left my brain in great shape for figuring thing out anymore.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Feara like this.
  19. Almee Well-Known Member

If this goes as planned, I should have a screenshot of the glitch. If not, then Flickr doesn't share or I did something wrong.

[IMG]

Well that didn't work. On to DeviantArt. [IMG] [IMG]
  20. Taled Well-Known Member

Yep. As has been said previously, you cannot send out a 'Celestial Item' by itself. They require that you send an actual agent to wear the item, 'equipped' for those bonus traits, in order to utilize them.

This is not a glitch or a bug.

Edit: Note how in your chat, in red text, it clearly states in the error message that 'An agent is required to use this Overseer Equipment'.