Ty peeps for the no vote

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Wulfhammer, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Silverdragonx Member

same thing will happen 2 weeks into DOF though, we'd have all expansions out within 6 months at the rate some players go.
    Siren, Mizgamer62 and Wirewhisker like this.
  2. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Beats grinding shards on Live, which the rushers would apparently like you to do.
    Mitten, Siren and Mizgamer62 like this.
  3. Vunder Well-Known Member

They do need to add a level restriction to the votes. We had people bragging about getting none TLE people to make a toon on the servers and vote no.

I think 15 or 20 would be ok. Letting level 1's vote is a mistake.
  4. Torvaldr Well-Known Member

lol did you actually think people voted this way because you asked them to? I'm pretty sure it was voted a certain way because that's what people were going to do regardless.
  5. Mongo New Member

Im not 50 and I voted yes, primarily because my class is nerfed and gimped until we get AA. As well content is not balanced at all for the server. There needed to be revamp of all the old content to mesh with current game balance. As it is there is not much challenge. I don't think id keep voting yes every month, but at least get to the 2nd expac.
    Dread1313 likes this.
  6. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Oooh!! Oooh!! I can do this too!!

I personally saw 86 people proclaiming that they were getting big-money funding to make lots of accounts so they could all vote Yes.

Was on the internet...must be true!
    Wulfhammer, Mitten and Siren like this.
  7. Meirril Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there isn't enough information to come to any statistical answer. There is no information to give a medium or mean number of alts per account. While it is easy to assume that each account only has 1 level 50 on it, it is actually a bad assumption. The population is small enough that if even 8 people have multiple level 50's on the account it is going to be statistically significant.

The single largest error is probably going to come from number of alts. "Dedicated crafters" are going to be the ones that skew the numbers the most. They tend to have upto 9 alts per account to cover all of the crafting classes. Depending on how much they like adventuring it is easy for them to have multiple crafter/harvester/adventurers in the 30+ range. Actually they are the most likely to have multiple max level adventurers on the same account since they have a vested interest in playing more than one character.

Also dedicated raiders that started as fighters would have an incentive to create 1 or more alts. Simply put there aren't many slots for fighters, so creating a second DPS or priest to raid with would happen often.

And talking about Deathtoll since it is a PvP based server the major activity for the level 50s should be PvP. As such raising the level cap actually creates a period of time where people PvP less as they try to level and get equipment from the new content. Avoiding new content actually encourages PvP to continue at the current pace. So yeah I dispute the claim that not advancing expansions is bad for Deathtoll. It really depends on how committed the players on DT are to PvP.
    Mitten and Siren like this.
  8. Gromph Member

Commitment to PvP. Hahaha!

My 'commitment' to the game, along with everyone elses, stretches as far as the game being entertaining. I don't pay money to exhibit some sort of 'loyalty' to a product I'm paying for that has devolved into a content-less ghost town in the end tier.

Durango used some valid numbers to outline a realistic picture of the situation on these servers, not some hypothetical nonsense the no-voters cram down everyone's throat in chat. Attempting to discount his post by throwing in conjecture and obfuscation about how many alts there may or may not be are doesn't avoid the fact that there are less than 1500 voters on Deathtoll, and about a third of them are operating at the endgame with nothing to do except exhibit 'commitment' to the server. In fact your argument for there being up to 9 alts would simply further reduce the population in lower tiers, making his percentages of endgame players even higher.

The only thing avoiding new content does is encourage cancelled subscriptions. I'd contend that your statement that 'avoiding new content' is somehow a good thing actually beats out all of the other drool filled threads I've read recently for the dumbest statement of this vote period. If this were even remotely grounded in reality you would see server populations increase over time, not decrease as we see in every MMO ever made. Why do you think games release ******* expansions? To give people something to do so they don't quit.

Maybe you're on to something and we should shift the MMO business model towards guilting subscribers into exhibiting commitment to their servers and 'pvp' so they don't quit. Keep giving us money otherwise you lack commitment to your server and pvp! You've either revolutionized the industry or you're a complete moron.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about in terms of PVP. When there is nothing to do in the game besides wander from zone to zone looking for people to mow down people stop logging in. Real pvpers play on pvp servers for contention over world bosses, and fights over who controls a dungeon, not for 6 man manicured gank groups that beat up on harvesters, bot groups, and solo questers.

This is why we see 8 people in Neriak, 6 people in Freeport at 9EST on a Thursday night - prime time gaming, compared to the multiple instances worth of active players we saw a few weeks ago. Nothing to do and nothing to fight over, except maybe a broken title system.
    Dread1313 likes this.
  9. Meirril Well-Known Member

Of course players are looking for entertainment. Forgive me for thinking that players on the TLE PvP server want to first and foremost PvP. I assume that is why they are on Deathtoll and not on a blue server.

If you find the server to be empty now, imagine adding 8 more zones and more instanced content for the current server population to spread themselves over. While the majority of 50 players will rush to 60, some of that population will prefer to lock and take on leveling players just like with the 10-40 crowd. More opportunities to dilute the population.

To be honest I never expected either of the TLE servers to have much staying power. I think after the next expansion comes out that both TLE servers will suffer horrible drops in population as people go back to their mains to explore the next expansion.

But disrupting the current PvP meta isn't going to encourage new players to join Deathtoll. The only thing it can do is drive the existing population away. Deathtoll has already had its growth, all it is going to do from this point is decay and it is a question of what will delay the inevitable depopulation of the TLE servers the most.

As for the population of cities...shouldn't the high level players be in the end-game zones? And adding a new expansion will give people more reason to sit inside a city instead of the new content? You can argue that city population should reflect the number of people playing, but during a prime time hour I'd suspect less people will be crafting and more of them will be trying to get out of town and do something.

As for Durango's numbers, I'm not arguing with the numbers. I'm also not saying that they are good either. Honestly I haven't checked his sources at all. I do disagree with his interpretation. Everyone's actually. There isn't enough statistical analysis presented to come to any reliable conclusion. A number is just a number, but the interpretation offered from those numbers is significantly flawed to the point that it isn't possible to draw a conclusion from the information presented with a high degree of confidence.

In other words people can say whatever they want to and point to the numbers. Without more information about the population you can't support any of the claims being made.
  10. Dread1313 Active Member

Yeah, I voted yes on all 6 of my accounts, likewise I also voted yes on all 6 of my accounts for vitality pots. I am divided though because I wanted vit pots, I got them, and defended the votes. I wanted DoF and didnt get it, because of the votes and now I am conflicted. Its ok. Its a defeat. I will pause here and share a good classic with you all..

Having said the above. Its cool, its how life is - the only thing you have control over is how one reacts to that. I will just keep taking my break from EQ2 (playing EQ1 now and LOVING IT! DBG still gets money, and I still get to enjoy one of their MMO's so its a win-win.)

I will wait till DoF gets released and come back, probably about that time I will be getting tired of playing EQ1 and it will be time to come back. Everything happens for a reason folks. It's one of those things you learn to live with in life. Part of being an adult I guess. (having said that the kid inside me tends to get his way from time to time too lol)
  11. Dread1313 Active Member

I hate to say it but I agree with Krae, he makes a sound judgement of all of this and I was thinking the same thing as well.
  12. Dread1313 Active Member

Fixt that for ya chief===^

By the above aforementioned logic it would be prudent to say that there are very little "botters" or at the very least "botters" (read: MULTIBOXERS for those of you who refuse to get your terms right...) are a very small minority since multiboxers all voted yes. (THEY HAD TO BECAUSE LOL REZONSLOL)

/rolleyes
  13. Dread1313 Active Member

yeah, now THAT will be interesting to watch.

Kinda feel bad about the whole voting thing to be honest. Its like a double-edged sword, it gives the players a voice, and a choice - but it could end badly as well. I say in order to save this little experiment they need to do away with the "90 day voting" crap".
  14. Dread1313 Active Member

Same way they spotted witches back in the day of witch trials. They point at you and if suspect you of such, then guilty as charged. Ad infinitum.
  15. Dread1313 Active Member

The same paranoid people that are seeing rampant bots everywhere are like the same paranoid people seeing rampant [insert burning taboo societal issue here] everywhere.

I just ignore those freaks because they are what I call "out of touch with reality".
  16. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Should have been 60 days between votes, with 3 no-votes making it 30 days between votes.
  17. Dread1313 Active Member

Actually... you guys have it backwards. Since by all your assumptions multiboxers can race and get to the top faster than "a casual" (please dont call me a racist for saying the word "CASUAL"), most multiboxers would want to keep the content stale so they can control the market longer. Elevating content would just make it where "the game is on again!" and they would have to try hard to race more once again rather than have content on farm.

You might actually say that it was probably them who voted no on elevating content because that makes them able to be "top dawg" just a little bit longer.
  18. Dread1313 Active Member

LMFAO! This post is legendary! Congrats sir you have a new follower!
  19. Dread1313 Active Member

I agree.
  20. Wabit Active Member

You need 4 different characters to properly experience the adventuring part of the game, and once EoF comes out you need to add a 5th. Each toon levels at roughly the same pace within a 5 level window, and only 2 hrs adventuring max 5 days of the week (anything over that goes to crafting), the other 2 days are FFA. Has to have a tank, healer, scout, and mage. Doesn't buy vita pots, take ports, or sprint unless running away from something, reads every line of text/listens to every spoken word.

#1. Starts in Halas (after boat ride): does 1-20 in FFS, BB, and SH; 20-30 in SH and RoV; 30-40 in RoV and RE; 40-50 in CT and PF.
    #2. Starts in Neriak: does 1-20 in DLW, FG; 20-35 does every heritage quest start to finish one at a time, harvests and does collections, and splitpaw: 35-45 Bloodlines and RV; 45-50 the rest of the heritage quests, tartons wheel, prizzy runes.
    #3 Q based: 1-6 IoR; 6-10 Q burbs dungeons; 10-20 Ant; 20-30 TS, 30-40 EL, 40-50 EF.
    #4 FP based: 1-6 IoR; 6-10 FP burb dungeons; 10-20 CL; 20-30 NF; 30-40 Zek; 40-50 LS.

Realizes they forgot OoLS during Runes runs, but goes there and find every named needed for access camp by AFK summoners.

But then I guess I'm a rusher to 50, got there right after the vita pots came into game (didn't use any) and mostly quested (solo) the way there, and only did group dungeons for heritage type quests. Took about 500 quest turn-ins (repeatable only count once) and some collections. My leet Guardian dps and heals made everything oh so fast and easy. Or maybe I just have more play time than most, because the only time I ever had more than 5% vita was when I took 4 days off for a vacation.

I also voted no for the unlock, thought 30 days was too soon. And to give the devs time to get DoF right for loot and difficulty.