Two player mounts

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sturmlocke, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hello again,

you guys might have already seen our discussion here, where we talk about character model upgrades and improvements. A subject that we also touched upon are two player mounts. A picture says more than a thousand words, so here it goes:

[IMG]
    Please forgive the quality - I had to do most of the editing on my phone because my sons were keeping me busy, busy. It should be enough to get the point accross though. I just want to trigger your imagination. Feel free to take it and fix the perspective and enhance lighting, shadows and more. Click the picture above to feel the vibes pls.

Now, this idea could be limited to a handful of mounts that we can use to fly around together, like a flying magic carpet for the sinking sands region. In addition, I have seen the feature request here, mercenary mounts. I like the idea and my suggestion would be that these two player mounts are not restricted or limited to real players, but that you can also take your mercenary with you in pretty much the same way.

Reason: Atmosphere and enhanced immersion, with the added bonus, that one player can "drive" a couple safely to their destination when questing or exploring together. I feel like this could be nice for ppl playing solo with their mercs, but also for ppl or couples wanting to roleplay a bit. It's all about your imagination after all. This is a feature that a beloved game called Star Wars Galaxies offered to its community - a feature that I very much enjoyed with my friends and family back in the old days.

I'm open minded on how this could be done, implemented and even monetized for that matter.

What say you? @Wife: I can show you the world of Norrath... I can open your eyes... if the engineers and powers that be allow it.
    Breanna, Aethos, Sunlei and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Like everything except the monetized bit. We should stop encouraging that.

Sid Meier did an interview with the BBC recently. Interesting read.
    Aethos and Sturmlocke like this.
  3. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

I don't see the benifit.
    Not that it matters but I am gonna vote no on this idea
  4. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

I kind of hate that idea. What would be the point?
    Siren, Jinksie, Bludd and 3 others like this.
  5. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

C'mon, you know you want to animate this.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  6. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

lol
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  7. Sunlei Well-Known Member

LOVE THIS, omg such a great idea and you are so very on the mark "It's all about your imagination after all"

Hey chariots too, and we need horse racing courses and 'game rooms' with some type of course by foot.... some players are so far away on another planet called ,'no'
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  8. Sunlei Well-Known Member

lol!! You guys spent to much time on discord, it's ruined you all :p
    Aethos likes this.
  9. Jinksie Well-Known Member

Ha! I think this is an adorable idea.... yet my merc and I are not *that* close. Besides... how would a centaur sit on a flying carpet? Hrmmm...
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  10. Fannoncodder Member

It's telling how the big giant barbarian looks to be getting frisky with the wood elf in front of him while kissing the back of her head.

Hard pass on that. People would find to many ways to make it WAY too weird.
  11. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Wow, that was fast. So much feedback - thank you! I appreciate your thoughts on this and, for the sake of open exchange ofc, I'll try to respond to each and every one of you.

[IMG]

What benefits or what reason would this have?
    • Fun and enhanced immersion. A topic that we are speaking about right here
    • A feature that the role playing server might appreciate (still alive, I assume?)
    • Due to our parenting and home office work, wife and I go afk a lot, always alternating ofc, and most of the time one of us stays behind waiting for our digital partner to return. Adding a feature like this = I can take my wife's char with me when she is afk
    • About mercs and 2p mounts: Some ppl want their mercs to be part of the adventure, which makes sense. When your partner drives away with your car, you don't go running behind it at maximum speed, do you? I'm sure you'd prefer to sit in the car instead of following the vehicle by foot. Sure, gonna be honest here, something like the latter has indeed happened to us a couple of times in the past, but only because my wife forgot something and I'm one speedy son of a snail, lol. By combining the two ideas, you can kill two birds with one stone. See here
    Someone mentioned a centaur + a magic carpet:
    • add an even bigger magic carpet (lol)
    • limit or restrict it to the mercs that will fit or are humanoid in shape and form, disable the rest when going duo on a 2p mount
    • now that I think of it, a Centaur merc doesn't necessarily need to be on a 2p mount, seeing how a centaur should be able to keep up with the 1PS of our horse mounts
    • make mercs like centaur automatically scale down a bit for the 2p mount
    • and more, wip
    Someone else mentioned chariots and horse races? Wow, those are actually good ideas. I mean, we do have flying events already, right? Aren't flying events already part of the Faydwer Faire in Kelethin? Why not add to that?

Which reminds me of something from the past. Ah yes:

[IMG]

And dynamic events in AoC, including horse races and much more.

What was just mentioned, is actually something that was added to Age of Conan one day, and I remember us and our guildmates just having some smalltalk and doing some of the races just for fun or when we were taking a break from saving the world - the latter happening a lot in virtual worlds in both virtual and real life worlds. Something that Swtor also likes to do from time to time btw:

Not everything has to be dead serious or have a world saving reason behind it. Back in the old days, when playing games like SWG, we used features like these a lot. I still remember when I started interacting with ppl in SWG for the very first time. A fellow Wookie picked me up at the docking station one day and invited me to his house, as strange as that might sound, but only to show me his player crafted city and all of his collections. We drove there with his two player mount and that alone added so much to the overall experience and adventure. Didn't need to call a taxi for this one. If I recall correctly, Guild Wars 2 just announced a feature just like this not too long ago. They implemented it in a different way and setting, but the idea in itself is there, and it looks good to me. In addition, some smartphone mmos, like World of Kings and Dragon Raja, two games that I stopped playing due to the extremly cartoony or cute anime visuals (I really tried to give it a chance though), have a bunch of minigames too and for what it's worth, those were reeeeeally fun.

[IMG]

^ Ppl might find ways to make it look weird? Au contraire, mon cher, ppl have already found ways to make it look weird, if you get what I mean. It's already too late. You can always make something look weird, inappropiate or even unethical, if you really, really want to. That being said, it's just like in real life - everyone is different. Take my wife and me for example, she's a featherweight 65-70kg right now, and I am sitting at around 116kg of pure manpower. You can make that look weird too, and in fact we have, which is why we have two beautiful sons now. :) I actually love the fact that our barbarians look so big and strong, just like me in real life, haha! Skinny chars are really not my cup of tea, which is one of the two reasons I haven't played a male Vah Shir just yet. More options = the more personal preferences you're going to be able to satisfy.
  12. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

This one's a hard no on our end. Sorry to kill this one.
    Dude likes this.
  13. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

No worries, it was just an idea after all. It does seem like a too time consuming or difficult task. By all means, not a must-have feature, just something that would add to the overall immersion and more. You're being honest here and that alone means a lot to me. *thumbsup* Now our aging character chars, that's something more serious and a topic worth the effort.
  14. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Breanna, Aethos, Bludd and 2 others like this.
  15. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

It's not in any schedules at the moment though.
  16. Manafizzle Well-Known Member

How about just the flying pterodon where you ride on the back and your merc dangles in the pterodon's claws by its foot?? No? Not happening? Ok...
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  17. Manafizzle Well-Known Member

Sturmlocke likes this.
  18. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

This 100%. My wife was just asking me about those pictures and models, after she zoned into those events a few hours ago. Night and day difference, if you ask us. If we have to decide whether you guys work on 2p mounts or upgraded player chars, our player chars 100%. They served us well for two decades, but it's time to give them some love. That being said, Mana's idea in the two posts above this one is not that bad either.
  19. Sunlei Well-Known Member

even some new hair styles would be so appreciated, or how about at least let us stand on the horses backs like i can make my robot do now :)

or the way we can use different graphic drivers and characters are naked?
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  20. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

LOL... WHAT? You can actually do that?