Tutorial: Easy Hair Shine

Discussion in 'Signatures' started by ARCHIVED-Seagoat, Aug 29, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-SapphireSniper Guest

Photoshop does have dodge blend modes.. it has color dodge and linear dodge. :)
  2. ARCHIVED-K_Aramae Guest

3. ARCHIVED-Seagoat Guest

Dustpaw@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Sure thing! :)
    I chose "Dodge" for the dark hair because it provides greater contrast while utilizing and enhancing the underlying hair color. On the dark-haired images above, "Dodge" was the blend mode that gave me what I felt was the most realistic sheen. On light hair, "Dodge" was way too intense, even at lowered opacity.

Mostly because the two layers are different. :) The bottom layer contains the overall shine, while the top layer provides more intense highlights in certain areas. Using them both at 100% would have been too harsh, and merging them into one layer wouldn't have given me the "blend mode-on-blend mode" intensity I was looking for in the highlights.

Well, I wrote the tutorial for PSP9; in PSP9, the steps can be followed verbatim. ;) If you (collective, not specific) are using a different program, it's a given that some steps will have to be changed, added, or omitted depending on the program you're using. I leave it up to the user to determine their own comfort level when it comes to altering the tutorial to suit their needs. :)
    Of course, if someone wanted to translate any of my tutorials so they can be used with another program, they're more than welcome to do so as long as they provide a link to the original tutorial on my website. :)

You're quite welcome! I enjoy doing them, and if they inspire the people who read them, that's even better. :D