Trying the game for free.

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Axa187, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Axa187 New Member

Worth playing? is it possible to reach everything using free version?
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

Free to play content stops at either the Altar of Malic (AoM) or Terror's of Thalumbra (ToT) expansion. I don't recall which and I can't find it listed anywhere.
    If you want the expansions past that you'll have to buy Planes of Prophecy (PoP). This gives you all the content between it (the current expac) and where the free content stops.

That being said, if you have the most recent expansion, you have access to all that content, even as a free member.

If you're trying the game out to see if you like it, free will certainly give you plenty of content to try out. You can get to level 100, even if AoM is the last expansion included for free. Getting there should certainly give you an idea whether or not it's worth the $30 to gain access to the remaining 2-3 expacs beyond what is free.
  3. Meneltel Well-Known Member

It is worth trying for free, all you will pay is in time and cost of internet. I hope you like the game and stay and play with us. Good luck and come back here with your questions, we don't bite... hard...
    Cyrrena likes this.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

It really depends on what you want out of the game.

Want to explore and just have fun? You won't need to spend a dime. There is a lot of content up and through AoM.

Want to raid? That really only happens in the current expansion, so you'll need to buy the PoP expansion.

Want to play on the special servers? You'll have to pay for that.

So ... what do you want out of the game?
  5. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Altar of Malice is the last xpac available free-to-play. It's three xpacs prior to the current one.

Trying EQ2 as F2P is a good idea. You'll figure out if you are happy playing that way or want to go all-access to unlock certain features, and/or purchase Planes of Prophecy, which will give you the ability to play through the remaining xpacs, and also unlock the Mercenary feature. (There are a couple of races and a few remaining features from Age of Discovery that have to be unlocked separately.)
    Cyrrena likes this.