Troubadour or Dirge which is best for solo ?

Discussion in 'Dirge' started by ARCHIVED-wow1970, Jul 10, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-wow1970 Guest

Hi all just started playing eq2 again and was just wondering peoples opinions on whether a troubadour or a dirge is better for a soloing and a little pvp. Thanks in advance.
  2. ARCHIVED-Mildavyn Guest

[p]Both classes solo about the same as each other... which is to say slowly. Neither class has the burst damage of the other scouts, so have to rely on kiting and cunning use of their other spells to kill encounters.[/p][p]I believe that dirges have the edge on single targets, while the troubs are alot better at soloing groups of mobs as we have much better AE damage. Dirges have lifetaps which would help alot, but troubadors get charm and mez. [/p][p]Both classes can solo. Pick your choice based on which flavour you want. Would you prefer to be more melee oriented, or more spell-casting oriented?[/p][p]As for PvP, I beleive the troubs have the advantage in soloing, but dirges win for groups.[/p]
  3. ARCHIVED-wow1970 Guest

Thanks much for the info. Basically its a toss up i guess also i have one more question. Later on in the game which class is more sought after for raiding or more useful. Also to answer one of your questions i would like to be more melee oriented.
  4. ARCHIVED-Shalra Guest

[p]You are asking this question on a DIRGE board... what do ya think we are gonna say! LOL[/p][p]JK!!! Welcome to EQ2... hope you enjoy it! [/p][p](P.S. Dirges seem to be more sought after on my server... )[/p]
  5. ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd Guest

At the risk of pounding a dead horse into a grease-spot in the sand, at least give a thought or two to what sort of character you want to play. Do you want to be a cheerful but shallow fop who basically sings one song, the one where the boy meets the girl and then stuff happens and they do stuff together that'd get me banned from the message boards if I went into detail but you get the idea? Or would you prefer to play a serious musician who sings songs about serious issues and who's pretty darned serious, darn it?
    Clinical depression and black lipstick are strictly optional.
    A well-run dirge and a well-run troub will be comparably sought-after; not identically, but to 20% either way, and it probably varies by the day of the week and the phases of the moon and the guild in question as to which.
    No, I don't know why people want troubadours, but they do.
    Whysp
  6. ARCHIVED-duuf Guest

Need for guild dirges =3x Troubies. Main tank group = Dirge Off Tank group = Dirge Scout Group = Dirge Squishy Group = [strike]Dirge[/strike] Oops Trouby In all other respects Whsyp's advice is flawless.
  7. ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd Guest

[p]Only caveat to the need for 3x as many dirges is that there are probably twice as many dirges around as troubs, so the supply/demand situation isn't quite as extreme as the demand part would suggest. [/p][p]Whysp[/p]
  8. ARCHIVED-Topa Guest

I would say Troubadour's are better at soloing. Assuming we are talking about soloing on tier heroics, like in the "farming" sense. If you just mean soloing solo mobs to grind levels, any class can do that fine. For heroics, Troubadours have more options/outs then dirges do in their charms and mezzes. If we can't keep a mob snared down its toe-to-toe time and we probably all know how that usually goes. Our life taps are a help, but its 400-600 hp every 10 seconds, which isn't going to keep up with most heroic mobs for long. I would say well played Troubadours are more sought after then Dirges. Troubs are just alot harder to come by from what I have seen. As far as the 3:1 ratio for raiding it depends alot on your raid force make up, but 2:2 can work just fine too if you have more then 4-5 casters in your raid force. Main tank group = Dirge (Guard, Swash/Coercer, 3 healers) OT/Dps group = Dirge (maybe zerker and rogue and couple healers) Mixed Group = Troub (Sorcs/Summoners/Chanters, Druid, Pred/Rogue, Crusader etc.) Mixed Group = Troub (Sorcs/Summoners/Chanters, Druid, Pred/Rogue, Crusader etc.) Just an example, I'm not a raid leader mastermind or anything, but Troub buffs: STR/STA, Power regen, Haste, Melee/Spell Crits, Double attack, Deagro, and then the spell procs... So I mean alot (all but spell crits and Aria) of that stuff is good for Melee classes and its all good hybrids like Crusader.
  9. ARCHIVED-Antryg Mistrose Guest

Can't really help with the PvP side as it doesn't interest me - comments I've seen though on the very skewed classes there make me think that either bard class is doing it tough, especially 1 vs 1 or small groups. Raiding though, 100% cast iron guaranteee - Troubador. The only group that anyone want a dirge in (over a troubador mind - EVERYONE wants a bard in their group) is the MT group (way better MT buffs than troubador's - Parry & Stoneskin >>>> Defence & um, ah, whatever else troubadors are supposed to get in balance ...). The OTHER groups though have DPSers in 'em. And ALL DPSers are limited by the aggro they generate - and the soothing sounds of the troubador deaggro sound trump anything in the dirge's repertoire. Driges will add more dps to a melee-centric group but that doesn't help them when they pull aggro, and dirges have stuff all to buff casters. So 3 groups will clamour for you as a troubador, only 1 as a dirge. Add in that dirges are way more interesting to raid as, and you will understand why all raiding guilds seem to be always trying to recruit troubadors. Of course if you stop to think WHY there are way more dirges in the game than troubadors you may rethink becoming a troubador .... which is also the reason there is no bard in my signature - levelled 1-70 as a Dirge, betrayed to troub for raiding and retired bored silly after a few months of it
  10. ARCHIVED-duuf Guest

Antryg Mistrose wrote:
    Ain't so: Dirge > Troub for Tank group, scout group and off tank group. Troub > Dirge for Caster group. Dirge = Troub for mixed group As far as hate issues Hyran's is a pretty dang effective answer. Try telling any of our melee they need to trade CoB for Deagro and watch the laughing begin.
  11. ARCHIVED-Antryg Mistrose Guest

Nobody disputes: [ol][li] Dirge > Troub for the MT or OT group[/li][li]Troub > Dirge for a predominantly caster group[/li][/ol]I don't agree with your other points though. Most raid encounters don't need an OT group - Blobs in DT, 3 princes and a few in EH are the only ones that come to mind. As for deaggro of the troub vs extra melee dps of the dirge - that depends how much dps the raid is putting out. If your meleers require a dirge to get decent (ie capable of pulling aggro) dps then laughter certainly is appropriate.
  12. ARCHIVED-Topa Guest

I think you're underestimating the need of OT/adds tanking groups... 8 Avatars, Mayong instanced and contested, Matron, maybe Chel'Drak, Wuoshi, Tender, Gardener, Prince Thirneg, both EH Unicorns, Clockwork Menace... idk I mean not all of those need full blown fully buffed OTs, but my guild anyway generally has 1-2 OTs on those encounters, and Dirge buffs them better than Troub. But I do agree with you for general DPS groups Troubadours are better then Dirges, mostly cause casters get so little out of a Dirge, where as melee still gets most of the good things out of a Troub or a Dirge. They lose Tombs, Boon, Cacophony, but gain deagro and the raid gains another Jester's Cap as well.
  13. ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd Guest

Could I just point out that the OP titled the thread 'best for solo'. I know raiding is the end-all-and be-all of EQ, and us non-uber-raiders are mere pointless noobs, but sheesh. Let the soloists have at least one thread to themselves.
    Not that we've been exactly burning up the bandwidth, granted.
    Whysp
  14. ARCHIVED-duuf Guest

wow1970 wrote:
    Whysp:
    OP's second post 3rd reply down

Top's list is awesome but let me add another: Rumbler

Top is in an top Everfrost guild and my dirge is in one of the other top guilds on Everfrost Death's Door.
    We run 3 and 1, how bout you Top, I know you have at least 2 dirges in your raids, do you run 2 and 2 or 3 and 1.

And as to this
    "If your meleers require a dirge to get decent (ie capable of pulling aggro) dps then laughter certainly is appropriate."
    I don't know what our average is but I know we do over 30k (decent enough?) with the majority of the dps coming from our scouts, fighters and priests, and they would still laugh at deagro over CoB.
  15. ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd Guest

duuf wrote:
    Oops. My bad, sorry.
    Whysp
  16. ARCHIVED-Topa Guest

We're currently 2/2, but we were rolling 3/1 for a good part of EoF.