Transmuting on Main Character?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Arlik, Oct 25, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Arlik Guest

Folks, are there any real advantages to having transmuting on a main character over a mule-type character? It seems the benefits of tinkering far outway those of transmuting. The only thing I can think that would be an advantage would be that you can "break down" your own quest rewards for shards, dust, etc. Anyone else have any further insight? Thanks in advance.
  2. ARCHIVED-Zehl_Ice-Fire Guest

Advantage: you get to transmute any NT gear you get or stuff from raids or instances.
    Disadvantage: tinkering has several invaluable "toys" for any class but tinkerer use only - power stone, heal stone, FD, self evac, call of the tinkerer.
  3. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

Arlik wrote:
    Basically it all comes down to you and your personality and how you play this game. ME personally my main (ohiv) is a tinkerer and I am very thankful for it, not only for raiding but for general pugs. The toys for him are just too valuable for me to want to loose them. My alt (who happens to be level 80 also) is a transmuter. There are a few things I really really do miss him not having since he isn't a tinkerer, but since my guild didn't have a transmuter to break "stuff"(tm) down I leveled him up to do that. Overall I would say if you are thinking of being a transmuter because of raiding, simple answer don't there will usualy be folks that are transmuters that can do that for you, and tinkerering is just too dang helpful for classes.
  4. ARCHIVED-Arlik Guest

Thank you both for your insight. As a healer, it seems FD would be invaluable, so tinkering sounds like the way to to. Thanks again.
  5. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Arlik wrote:
    It is kind of a no-brainer. There isn't a single thing a transmuter can do that you can't get the benifts of it in return for a few plat. No ammount of plat will get you the benifits of tinkerer-only items.
  6. ARCHIVED-Thicket Tundrabog Guest

My main is a transmuter. He's the only transmuter in the guild so I get to munge No-trade stuff that people can't use when grouping with guild mates. I can also munge lore or no-trade solo material. I have a 400 tinkerer alt. Tinkerers get some cool stuff, but I still prefer having a main transmuter.