tov - will old gear be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Berg, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Berg Member

Hi all,

With the massive changes to items (purple slots, charms, jewellery , reforging,...) I was wondering whether the current coe/pow/darkness d. Items will be revamped as well?
    Or will the change exclusively affect tov items?

Then like 90% of the current gear might become obsolete...

Berg
  2. Snapshot Active Member

I am pretty sure no current gear will be revamped. If any gear is revamped I would imagine it to be really high tiered items (Hydra helm maybe? that is if the gear increases to a point where it needs to be. it is already far ahead of other gear)

I believe the point is to have 99% of the gear become obsolete. It happens nearly every expansion
  3. Ucala Well-Known Member

It's an expac, or is this your first expac to experience? :p check out the difference from SF to DoV, stats went through the roof
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  4. Wurm Well-Known Member

The difference from DOV to SS to COE wasn't too extreme. I hope that current gear stats won't be pushed much higher, the stats we have now are pretty insane (in a bad way).
  5. Ucala Well-Known Member

they were pretty extreme I think. SS wasn't an expac also
  6. Wurm Well-Known Member

It had enough content to be an expac.
  7. Estred Well-Known Member

Imo a bit of a mistake because it hyper accelerated some issues in the stat system by reaching caps. Though DoV did have very well defined and designed item Tiers that had a progression through the whole expansion.
    Wurm likes this.
  8. Wurm Well-Known Member

Yes it did and every area made you feel that you were making progress.
  9. Quabi Active Member

I never thought I'd see anyone complementing DoV itemization, but I guess the majority of the players who hated it probably quit in 2011.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  10. Wurm Well-Known Member

I never understood the hate to begin with, most of the screwy stats were fixed way before the release of the second part.
  11. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

People felt that way in part because they doubled the stats on gear from SF to DOV. This pretty much trivialized all gear pre-DOV.
    Estred likes this.
  12. Snapshot Active Member

I want to chase a new set of gear every expansion or else I would get bored. I like always having something to chase.

The hullpiercer is not a good example of this, give me my bow :(
    Neiloch, Anfis, Chronus and 2 others like this.
  13. Estred Well-Known Member

I still hate what it did. However I can admit that the structure within DoV itself was well done.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  14. Wurm Well-Known Member

Oh I know. I was in beta and I knew things were bad when they handed us full sets of SF raid gear to test solo overland.

But there was a nice progression in DOV. And every step in that progression made you feel stronger.
  15. Wurm Well-Known Member

That pretty much sums up why most of us play :)
  16. Quabi Active Member

I actually hated the structure within DoV itself. Having one narrow band of relevant content is terrible, imo. If you raided even just easy mode encounters (some of which were one groupable without being overgeared), it was a waste of time to even look at any heroic loot outside of Temple of Zek [Challenge], which required raid gear (and thus, was really just an x1 raid zone that fit towards the end of easy mode x4 raid progression).

DoV was an example of how to get everything wrong about itemization at once, which is actually hard to do since some aspects of good itemization tend to contradict each other (e.g. exciting items and carefully limited power gains). I could go on, but itemization is probably the main reason that such an inordinate number of raiding guilds died during DoV.
  17. Chronus Active Member

I liked how it went PQ -> Rime -> Kael -> 1group ToFSx2 - > Drunder honestly. I liked that I really wanted that helm from Strategist's Stronghold for the something like 10 reuse and how each piece of gear was an upgrade as you went into harder content.

Compared to now it's solos -> Dreadcutter + HE. Any other zones aren't really required unless you get immensely lucky on an essence drop. DoV did zone progression better, not itemization.

Anyways, I think they said no old stuff will be upgraded at SoE live, makes sense because purple adornments are the power of red and yellow combined, that's what we have on every slot right now pretty much, even solo zone armor has that. Hydra helms will likely stay best in slot anyways, they made a joke about that at SoE live iirc.
    Kalderon likes this.
  18. Ucala Well-Known Member

they have always gave you end game raid gear in beta (up until the new SS/ CoE is when they started giving you crap gear.
    I remember having the bauble that gave you full set of DoV HM gear baubles
  19. Plinc Active Member

even though it is not required, SG and ST crafted items still beat the crap out of Steward gear (refined and experimented of course)
  20. Ucala Well-Known Member

BG gear beats the crap out of Steward gear :p