Top DPS Classes

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Badfish, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Badfish New Member

Anyone have any insight as to the top DPS classes during classic EQ2? At least according to parses from other TLE servers?
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The most highly skilled player who takes the time to really learn their class.
    Soara2, Breanna and Blazen like this.
  3. Fangrim Active Member

This is just not true.No matter how good a player is they will be beaten by a lesser player on DPS depending on class. The best player in the world isn't going to top the parse on a templar. Same goes for other DPS classes over flavour of the month ones.
    Soara2 likes this.
  4. Redlight Well-Known Member

5. Bhayar Well-Known Member

The point here should stay focused on the OPs question--top DPS classes, not all classes in EQ2. Both you and Sig are correct in your summary. Top DPS classes vary from xpac to xpac or even during an xpac due to incessant twinking and lack of true balance between classes (dev issue there). If you've played this game long enough, you know this is a fact that one xpac's darling is the red-headed stepchild the next xpac for the above reason. Sig is also correct that players want to roll the top DPS class, but then spend zero time learning the class and think they can simply faceroll the keyboard and top the charts and invest minimal time in the equipment, spells/CAs, casting orders, etc. So you're both correct. I've had this conversation more than once with players who were crying about their place on ACT. Sooner or later, your class, (if at the top), won't be. So be prepared. Keep working on it, because at some point, it will be again. That's something you can take to the bank in this game. That said, if a templar ever beats you on the dps chart, stop playing and pick up "Hello, Kitty." Everyone will thank you.
    Soara2, Zenji and Sigrdrifa like this.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

True. But when it comes to DPS classes, while one class may have an advantage over another if all other things were equal, rarely is player skill equal. Pick a class you want to play and learn to play it to its utmost. If you hate the class, you won't play it, no matter how much potential DPS is involved.
    Soara2, Bhayar and Breanna like this.
  7. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Wizard is pretty strong all the way up, warlock is up there with them. Summoners are ok until like eof. Swash pretty useless, brig is good, predators are okay, but i wouldn't even put one in my ideal setup.

No.
    Kalika likes this.
  8. Kalika Well-Known Member

DPs is somewhat meaningless due to the impact of pay to win ... the lac of balabce and mecanics (dps mod in the 500, haste the 300, MA it depends in vanilla those two stat were below 100 without buffs)
    • ~110 potency from SC/platinium expac purchase
    • ancient spells, if have ancient spells on my level locked 26 fury and the difference from Grandmaster to ancient is huge, and from expert to ancient it is really big ...
    • even assuming "similar" gear my necro cannot touch wizards or scout with high percentage os aoe auto attack, it' s not about skill since the "same" necro toped the parses on Stormhold (i agree that this was not ok
  9. Pilarin Member

Top dps grouping/raiding on a TLE server? That would be probably one of wizard, warlock, ranger, assassin, necro, conjuror.
    Best soloing classes necro and conjurer, shadowknight. Because of suvi ability. Your dps is zero if you are dead.
    Soara2 likes this.
  10. Lovidicus Active Member

This is the default BS answer. This is what people want to be true, but it isn't that simple. Yeah, you should play what you think is fun. But at least find out which classes won't automatically **** you. If you're looking to compete at the highest level then class does matter.

With that said, Bhayar makes a good point. I'll summarize since he doesn't know how to use paragraphs =) Power shifts from expac to expac. There isn't a single class always on top.

This is actually true, but only while leveling. An SK that knows what they're doing and buys gear and skill upgrades can easy top the parse until getting close to level cap. And even at level cap, they'll still beat lazy players.

Swash is useless? Mine is always at the top of the parse. If you know what you're doing, swash is fine. Same player on an assassin will do more dmg. But even-so, they're given a run for their money - when the swash is competent. And they can solo a lot easier than assassin - though solo isn't really something anyone should do in eq2. Solo just doesn't compare to group xp.

This person dones't know what a TLE server is. Ignore their post.

To answer the OP's OQ:
    The T1 dps tend to stay on top. Those are Wiz, Assn, Ranger, and Warlock. You're safe with any of those. With that said, nobody will care if you're on top on one of those classes because you're supposed to be. If you want to impress people and feel like you're winning, pick a T2 DPS class like swash, brig, conj, or necro. When an assassin is on top nobody gives a ****. But if you're a brig beating an assassin then you've got something.

Also, don't play a necro. The servers are lousy with them. And honestly, they're not as good as people think. Until AA they're probably only the 2nd or 3rd best solo class. That's their only real perk. But as I mentioned, soloing is stupid in eq2. Even on the best solo class, even if you're duo'ing, you won't come close to the xp a group would net. Even with a crappy tank that pulls slow and doesn't gear up.

Those are my 3 cents anyway.
    Turkish likes this.
  11. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

No it's because a true raid setup would only bring a brigand as scout dps in this game is severely underperforming on every TLE at this point.

Guard, Dirge, coe, Three healers.

Zerk, dirge, coe, mystic/inquis, BRIGAND

Fury/inq, wiz, warlock, troub, illy, pity necro

Fury/inq, wiz, warlock, troub illy, SK.

If you're running any other raid force than you're just shooting yourself in the foot in terms of maximizing your raid force. Swash doesn't bring any debuffs that are beneficial, that is why swash's are useless. Mobs actually have zero point zero outgoing damage on this server. Mages are also vastly superior because of how group procs work. If I had to pick I would say let the third healer have a swash alt when you don't need the third healer in the MT group. But i'd rather just make my main tank group unkillable so I can just never worry about that than deal with them dying to anything.

Just because your swash is getting buffs/gear and/or your other dps is bad doesn't mean the class is amazing/good.

Edit: Predators are extremely bad up until around RoK. Even then you're going to notice minimal differences in outgoing compared to a brigand to warrant giving up super cool things like defensive debuffs. With how interrupt was balanced, right now a rogue can actually press any random button in any order and beat an assassin who perfectly times his concealment, death mark, masked/ambush.
  12. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

Only does player skill ever come in slightly when its 2 of the same classes competing. I'm sweating on my sin only parsing 1.6k (could upgrade a couple pieces of gear and spells but overall im pretty solid) and that's the low end of what t1's are putting out. Summoners can afk with their scout pet on aggro and match that.