toon in kingdom of death

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Ra'Gruzgob, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Original concept of death/rebirth of toon/char is shown in mmorpg PlaneShift. When toon dies, he/she is transferred to the kingdom of death - a large maze filled with dead ends and dangerous paths from which the player must escape. Upon returning to life through the portal, a temporary fine is imposed on the toon’s characteristics. Wait, don't rush to say that you don't like this idea. Today there is mmorpg with far more serious implications for toon. Namely, that toon, in case of his death, has to start game again (from 1st level).
    In my opinion, in EQII the death of character is too insignificant in its consequences for playing solos or two-player (or maybe for larger number of players?). That is, for those who either don't participate in raids or occasionally participate. And it significantly reduces interest in this game in generally. For RP in particular. Anyway, this is right for me, although I think I'm not alone in that opinion. Also, when I focus on completing quests, the insignificance of death does not contribute to interest. I understand that in EQii someone’s toon can die many, many times in one game evening. And such a player would not want fines to increase in any way whatsoever. But I am sure there are those who like to play carefully, so as not to die and for whom death of his toon is significant and very undesirable. And I think that a compromise is needed. For example, can divide consequences of death (easier/heavierly) for those who play solo or two-player and for those who participate in groups of 3 or more toons and in raids. It also seems to me that it's perhaps that if the difference in consequences is significant, then this may contribute to a greater interest in raids, as well as in purchases of "items that facilitate the fate after death" (hmm .. indulgences) in the market. Yes, and more significant penalties for death can contribute to a greater interest in better arms and equipment of toons, potions, totems, more advanced skills.
  2. Obano Well-Known Member

I tend to see our characters as being immortal. They don't really ever die, they just kind of get knocked unconscious and get back up again.

Maybe what you propose could be used in a special ruleset TLE server. I remember when Eq2 first came out in 2004 you had to retrieve a "shard" or something on death. It would be interesting to revisit that mechanic in future TLE adventures.
  3. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Yes, and in this "immortality" our characters are like mobs/NPC's (which endlessly respawn), with which they fight and who send them from time to time to the graveyard for another respawn. The perception/feeling that is called fight for life is lost. As a result - apathy and the extinction of game interest :(
  4. Melkior Well-Known Member

Interesting, but you are probably not going to see a change like that in the game at this point. Like Obano said, they actually have gone the opposite way in EQ2 (and EQ1 for that matter) in removing penalties for death due in no small part to overwhelming requests to do so. While I understand your point, I believe you are in the minority as far as what drives your interest. Given my time constraints, it is not a feature I would like in this game. Just another person's perspective.
    Dude likes this.
  5. Zartayn Member

As the OP states, its a feature that could work in a RP solo/duo environment.

Its not really something that works in a mmorpg imo. Too many factors can affect number of deaths which ultimately means groups spending alot of time standing around waiting for peoples i deaths maze.... just not the focus in the kinda game EQ2 is, where death happens alot.