Too much ascension

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Nkito, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Nkito Well-Known Member

For the first time, maybe ever, I find myself unable to justify logging in outside of raid time. Besides the scroll maintenance and inevitably nerfed tithe I realize that 80% of my growth can only come from increasing my ascension abilities. Whether this be through research or paying money, neither are affected by me logging in and playing the game. This needs to be addressed.

Whether its increased scroll drops or even nerfed ascension across the board, something needs to be done because the player progression and reward for playing is not in a healthy state right now.
  2. Alittlerusty Member

Just wish they remove the need for scrolls.
    If I log in one day of the week , and can punch out 10 mill xp then I should be able to .
    Having to depend on scrolls is crazy..
  3. EQ_Jack Active Member

Nkito, you are not alone, I wish the DBG game designers would just get back to expansions that involved huge areas to explore, dungeons to fight in, and interesting things to see. This latest expansion, is just a small sandbox with a huge grind, It just isn't that compelling for me to keep going.
  4. Tyrus Dracofire Well-Known Member

i have been away for awhile since early 2015, we used to get almost a yearly expansions, so now you saying we get "sandbox" with lot of grinds?

geez, is the grinds made by devs with all other companies are becoming fads of MMO?
  5. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

More scrolls, adept and master SCROLLS dropping, and the ability to scribe an expert scroll when you are only at apprentice level would make ascension more reasonable. As it stands...well I've written enough about it lately.

edit: compromise would be can only scribe higher tiers from lowest tier if you are a subscriber.
    Conifur likes this.
  6. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Its not a grind ;) its evolution (or degradation depend on the side you onto) from subscription type of game to oh so common nowadays flash browsers games with P2W mechanic
    Conifur and Mizgamer62 like this.
  7. Phaedrix Active Member

See, it's win-win! Players don't burden the rickety servers with their presence, yet they pay money all the same. Right? You'll all keep paying, right? :eek:

KA would offer a brilliant business model if it were impossible to cancel a subscription. Sadly, as anyone with more than a modicum of common sense can attest—to say nothing of business sense—that's not the case.
  8. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Nah they not dropping - not even in experts (which I been farming more or less reliable nowadays with PUGs)
    Plus given fact that PAGEs drop rate probably same as illegible scroll drop rate (aka 1 scroll on 200+ instance run) and you need 10 to 14 pages of same kind for single spell you need at least 2000-2800 instances to run to get that many - which is not practical unless you have some automated program that do it for you
    Conifur and Mizgamer62 like this.
  9. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

I know they're not dropping. That's what I would like to see happen to save this game.
    Mizgamer62 and DoomDrake like this.
  10. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Me too but this not going to happens - this will ruin at least one line of profit generation in game lol
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  11. Melt Actually plays the game

I got 2 journeymans back to back. Not even seen another since, in probably 50 heroics and 500+ solos.
  12. Lil Mantis Member

I just started down the ascension trail yesterday.. Level 2 now. I found a spell (I think, it was a drop from a solo dungeon but it's a level 6 spell. Will have to check to see what it is exactly. I just know I couldnt do anything with it at the time.
  13. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Yeah. And you know I most likely run a ton more dungeons than you do. You just got yours back to back, whereas I got mine spread out across an expansion. It's a joke.

I wasn't caring about it when I had other ways to progress, but now that tithe and ascension are pretty much the only upgrades available other than a couple dream pieces in expert and/or raid, i'm stuck saying I can pay and improve right now or wait...FOREVER for a fairly minor upgrade after that forever passes. Frustrating.
    Snikkety and DoomDrake like this.
  14. Conifur Well-Known Member

They ran the year subscription right before it went live. I am paid until Oct '17. They got their money in advance. Come Oct '17 I will cancel the automatic re-subscribe they have and never pay a penny to this game again. My bet is the model was set up to get people to do the year and "lock them in" and then nickle and dime them until the year is up at which point people will think they have put more money into it, they might as well continue and see what the next zone increase brings them. Great business model for a game run by an investment company.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  15. Azian Well-Known Member

I'm going to apologize in advance because I find this particular argument pretty amusing. That discounted price was $71.99 for a YEAR! That's a GREAT deal for the subscriber and not so much for the company. $6/month is pretty tough to beat so to accuse them of some nefarious alternate plan revolving around that price is a quite off base to me. Frankly, if you are that unhappy with the game why are you punishing yourself by continuing to play knowing that it only cost you $6/month? That's less than a single trip to any fast food restaurant one time per month. That's 1/2 of a movie. That's 2 gallons of gas (roughly). I could go on and on.

Seriously though, this is your argument? You are forced to play for the next 6 months because otherwise you'll be out a blistering $36 worth of non-entertainment for you between now and October? You might want to take a few deep breaths on that line of thought.
    Raff, Xerikton, Pixilicious and 2 others like this.
  16. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

I think the point was that the sub locks you in, but then things like ascension force you to pay more money here and there, so while you're riding out your sub, you are also paying full tanks of gas along the way for these new micro (macro?) transactions they have put in place. So then by the end, you figure, well, I've already given them X amount so I may as well keep playing. The sub is just the locked in mechanism to make it less easy to just walk away entirely while the "nickle and dime you" I would say 10 spot and 50 spot you... So sure, they may get you for a very reasonable price with the sub, but they KNEW they were going to make several hundreds of dollars from some players and perhaps a few extra subscriptions worth from others. Because let's face it. Right now I'm waiting on a 20 day expert spell. After that, I'll have a 40 day master to look forward to. And the only other way I have to progress in the game right now is tithe at also very slow increments. The pull to pay up is real.
    Conifur and Whiomaju like this.
  17. Azian Well-Known Member

I understand that's what Conifur is trying to say, I just find it to be an awfully thin argument. Nothing is absolutely required of us from the purchases. Those are optional. Now, I personally did buy one ascension spell upgrade early on but haven't purchased any others and don't plan to unless maybe I change mains. (Can you guess which spell I might have upgraded early on in the ascension process? I bet you can. :p ) Most of that was from DBC that I'd accumulated already from simply having the subscription too and only required a very small addition.

My point is not to argue that the game hasn't pulled in a pay to win setup. I completely agree that it has. I just think trying to tie that in with the discounted annual subscription as being some big scheme DBG had is not valid.
  18. Lil Mantis Member

So I'm new to the whole ascension process. What is the item you are talking about that can be purchased in the store? Is it like the daily scroll you get from the trainer?
  19. Regolas Well-Known Member

I've cancelled the subs on all my accounts. It's very hard for me to walk away completely but definitely not worth me spending anymore money on. I also took up the 12m for 6m price offer last year.
  20. Lil Mantis Member

That's a hard deal to pass up. I would have jumped on that offer too.