To Commission or Not?

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Jazabelle, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Tock Member

I've done commissions very rarely, and only when a project interested me and I wasn't asked. I need to feel passionately about my projects, and if it's someone else's vision, I'm not going to be into it. I did throw myself into three separate projects with enthusiasm to obtain a hard-to-obtain LoN item once, but that's it.

That said, it should be interesting to see what becomes of the housing zone selling thing. I would gladly design and sell off unique and interesting homes if it meant funding my Station Cash addiction!

I would feel passionate about that. >_>
    Kisy and Afista like this.
  2. Kasumi Member

as a newbian home decorator I would feel too uncomfortable doing it. I also am a lot like you in the sense that I don't like feeling rushed. I have too much going on and I like to have my life outside of the game. :D

I like the idea of selling layouts way better than commissioning. Wish there was a market for that and that they could be sold on the broker or you could tour it first then buy some how. It would be super cool. PLEASE ADD THAT SOE!
  3. Quickpaw Active Member

No one's ever asked me for a commission (not a complaint), if they ever did I suspect I'd turn 'em down...probably just as well, I suspect I'll be a 'talented amateur' if I decorate in the game for twenty years.

I like decorating, but I like playing other things in the game as well...I enjoy adventuring, hunting, harvesting(!), the occasional roleplay, chatting (anybody who's heard me on the Homeshow channel could attest to that I'm sure). Taking commissions would make me want to do only that, at least while I'm commissioned to do whatever work, rightfully so I think...and I don't want to have my time monopolized like that. The game's about having fun for me, and there's lots of ways for me to have fun in it.
  4. Kisy Active Member

I used to commission. One bad egg ruined it for me. Now I build and decorate for myself or my guild. I still get offers, but I decline them.

Commissions also became a bit of a JOB for me. When your getting "paid" for something, I ended up feeling like when I was online, I needed to be working on that project and doing nothing else. So while I was raiding, I would feel guilty for not being in the house working on it, or if a guildie asked for help in a zone I would feel guilty for helping a guildie. Seriously! How silly is that! Feeling guilty for helping a guildie?! all because I had a house to work on. Yes I know Stupid! It was just one of the reasons I decided no more. Then I had a horrible experience with a house I built for a guy, and ya, I just decided that it wasn't worth it anymore.

I also learned not to put items on the housing boards anymore to try and get a Hall of Fame Trophy because I'm just not a known name. Thats ok too. What I put up on teh boards, are usually so I can show it off to my friends who want to come and see it. If others do and like it then great.
  5. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I've done a few houses for friends. I might take a commission if it came around. It depends on what the person wants, if they even know what they want.

That idea excites me. I'd love to be able to sell my own work, rather than just try to please one person and their vision of a house. I might even finish more of my projects.:confused:
    Kisy likes this.
  6. Mythical House Item Well-Known Member

I actually just finished an in-game book with information about commissioning homes in an effort to help my future clients and decorators alike that actually do take on commissions on a regular basis.

There is a copy of the book displayed in the Homes and Tomes guild hall on the bookshelf next to the information desk, or you are welcome to read it here.

Be warned, it is a lengthy read, and it definitely doesn't cover everything, but it covers most things that I, personally, look at as a contracted decorator.
  7. Mary the Prophetess Active Member

I am not a decorator. I have only passing fundamental expertise with the layout editor. I have decorated a number of homes and dungeons myself, but they would not pass muster on the leadeer baords.

I do however, offer a view from the *other* side of this equation; that of the individual seeking professional help. It has been my experience that when seeking a decorator you should follow some basic rules.

1. Know what you want. I don't mean a vague description either. Be as specific as possible.
    2. After explaining what you want, invite the decorator to visit the home and look around and to get back to you as to whether or not what you expect is actually possible, or would need to be modified. Also after seeing the present state of the house, are they still interested in taking on such a project.
    3. Be flexible. Your vision may not be possible, let them come up with an alternative that is as close as they can get.
    4. Be prepared to purchase the necessary materials and leave them available for the decorator, or be prepared to give funds to them as they require items. Personally, I think the first method is preferable. Understand that this cost is separate from that for the job itself.
    5. Be patient, and don't be pesty. Not to put too fine a point on it, but decorators, well, decorate. They usually have more projects going than just yours, including decorating their own houses.
    6. Understand that a large project like turning the Tenebruous Island Refuge into a copy of the Feerrott is going to take a LOT of time, (perhaps as long as a year)
    7. I am not sure if this next item is a help or a hinderance, but have the project roughed out *before* the decorator is commissioned.
    8. DON"T TINKER WITH THE WORK THEY HAVE ALREADY DONE. You are the amateur. They are the professional. Go hunt, and let them do what they do.
    9. Don't be cheap. A large project in materials alone may run up to 1,000pp. Labor may be a similar amount.
    10. Be polite, respectful and grateful.

My 2cp.
    Kitzy and Deveryn like this.