To Boost Or Not?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by NyteRose, Nov 18, 2017.

1. NyteRose Member

Hello everyone,

I'm back (yet again) from another break. I heard about the new expac and am considering buying it, as I only have up to AoM. I have a level 100 boost token from the summer promotion. Should I use the token or just level up the old-fashioned way, since I have never hit level cap and I consider using the token a "cheat." Or if I choose to use the token, which class should I boost? My toons are level 16 and under. I should also add that I have no real interest in doing end-game instances/raids, but this may change if I find a friendly guild to group with.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

Depending upon your server, there is probably a lot of powerleveling going on. I went from 0-100 in the last week with people running CoA. Boost if you want, but there are other options.
  3. NyteRose Member

I play on Maj'Dul server, and I don't really have a lot of platinum for powerleveling. I think PL'ing takes the fun out of the leveling/exploring experience. To each his own though.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

It's the same as boosting and it's all been free on Skyfire.
  5. Steelviper Active Member

That depends on whether you know the class you're boosting to 100, or not. If it's a class new to you, you'll end up with tons of abilities you don't know what to do with, on your hotbars, gear and stats you don't know whether it's good or bad for your toon, and basically a big mess of jumping up to level 100 and having no idea what next.
    While the 100 boost token can be a time saving grace for people who know what they'll end up with, I'd personally recomment to get your class to level 100+ manually, if you don't know much about it - that way you get to know it's weaknesses + strenghts along the way, and maybe even like it. Boosting to 100 will definitely not give you that feeling of time and work invested in your toon.
    ziboo likes this.
  6. Carynn Well-Known Member

I agree with Steelviper. You need to figure out which class you like to play first, which takes about 30 levels. It seems obvious, but different class play differently in terms of maneuvering and button mashing and survival. For example: templar can live forever, but it takes forever to kill a mob; Assassin requires a bunch of stunning and jumping behind the mob; some tanks can heal themselves, some can't. Once you pick a toon you believe you like and level them up more to be sure, at around 70 you can use your boost to 100. By 70, you know the ins and outs of all your spells and a majority of your AAs, minus the 90 prestige line (which is usually copy/pasted from a raid player anyway). Then you get the new expac gear/panda gear for your class and you're pretty much gtg, as long as you're willing to keep asking questions like you did here. :)
  7. NyteRose Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I decided against using the boost token, but I haven't figured out which toon I'm going to main yet, and I made a fury to play around with (a pink and green Fae!) I'm glad to be back to the game :)
    Prissetta and Carynn like this.
  8. Raff Well-Known Member

I've boosted 2 classes over the years and I never play them. I just used them for the vet bonus. All the classes I've ever really enjoyed, I've played solo (no mercs...ever) & in groups from start to max. Those are the classes I play the best out of all my stable of 24.