To be a tinker

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by kurghan, Sep 26, 2017.

1. kurghan Active Member

Hi
    I'm a LVL 100 weaponsmith and I have already levelled transmitting and would like to try tinkering any suggestions on how to level quickly please.
    Regards
    kurghan
  2. santargria Well-Known Member

IMO there is no "quick" way to level tinkering

What I do is the dailies and create items that sell well and/or that I will use (harvesting gear and items, repair bots, temp stations etc.)

When I get closer to my mark (usually 375-500, 375 because that's the amount of tinkering required to use the repair bot) I start doing the first item in the tinker list.

Tinkering levels no matter what item you make so making an item that is level 1 is just as likely to give you a bump as an item higher level
    HaphazardAllure likes this.
  3. Hexalobular Well-Known Member

I leveled up 4 or 5 characters from 0 to 500 so they could use the Tinkerfest familiars.
    I wish I'd known about the level not mattering but I did know that you only have to finish the first bar which saves a lot of time though it probably costs more in fuel and you use up a lot of mats (I have 9 goblins and 9 ponys so that didn't bother me.)
    Using a Simple Workbench saves a click per item and speeds things up.

The main reason I wish I'd known about level not mattering is that the low level combines only return fuel if you stop at one bar, the higher level ones mostly give you an item and I had to keep running to a merchant to sell them off when my inventory filled up.
    On the other hand, if you're on a budget then getting money from the merchant to cover fuel costs might be a good thing.

It did take a couple days per character if I remember correctly.
    HaphazardAllure and santargria like this.
  4. Xianthia Well-Known Member

Depends on what you mean by quick and what's available for your use!

You can be max tinkerer in a few hours if you prepare in advance and are willing to spend the time. This only works if you have mats, fuels and recipes available (and a fairly empty inventory bags). GH usually work best since "most" are already set up, but you can do in your home if you've set up a crafting home of sorts. Use a simple work station so it auto stops on the first line.

Purchase/grab the first ten recipes, scribe the first one. I suggest only ten at a time since inventory space and you can pick a suitable stopping point of your liking.

Craft an at-level item until you are able to scribe the next scroll. Craft a new item from the new recipe. Craft until you are able to scribe the next one. You get the picture. Once your bags are full, sell that stuff to a merchant (see this is why GH is easier!). Rinse/repeat until you have to purchase next tier/set of recipes. Continue until the end. I would suggest you set a skill up limit per day so you don't burn out :D

You can absolutely level on grey combines. However, I found that the skill ups came faster if you do at-level items. YMMV Hopefully this was clear as to what to do!
    HaphazardAllure likes this.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

In your city's tradeskill headquarters is a fellow standing near a workbench who gives daily tinkering, transmuting, and adorning writs. Be sure to do his writ daily, he provides the materials.
  6. Xianthia Well-Known Member

This is not a quick way, this is the patient way :D

That said, once you have a tinkerer and an adorner, this is the way to go. Can do many toons and have each crafter be it's own tinkerer/adorner.
  7. Tx80i Member

If all you want is to be max skill tinker the quickest way then pick a tinkered item in the highest lvl recipe book you can scribe atm.
    Make only the first bar out of four, click stop and repeat untill you have enough skill points to scribe next recipe
    HaphazardAllure, Finora and Xianthia like this.
  8. Finora Well-Known Member

If you are in a guild with a full depot or have your own stocked personal depot, this works really really well.
    HaphazardAllure and Snikkety like this.
  9. Meirril Well-Known Member

Both tinkering and transmuting use a skill up system instead of XP to level. That means each time you make an item you have a chance to skill up. The chance goes up the harder the combine is relative to your current skill. It maxes out with yellow combines at 50%. The floor is a 20% skill up chance with grey recipes.

Tinkering eats up a lot of materials. While the first bar combine usually produces the end product, you get some of the secondary materials back if you complete more bars. Almost 50% of the secondaries on some combines. That can save you and your guild a lot of loam and hard metals. This can be very noticeable on tiers that aren't popular to harvest but consume a lot of materials, like feyiron in T4.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I was more thinking of doing it "in addition to" rater than "instead of".
  11. Faelan Active Member

Fastest way I know of that also doesn't fill your bags with items is to pull up a recipe for a tinkerfest item, any one will do, and craft the first bar. It will then return a tinkerfest sprocket rather than an item, which will let you repeat while re-using the same sprocket over and over. The tinkerfest items use lower level mats that are easy to farm. It goes fairly quickly, but can still be a bit tedious. Mix in the daily quests to work up adorning and transmuting while you're at it.