TLE vs Progression guild

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Maledicere, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Maledicere Member

I'm curious. Who have done both and what are your thoughts considering the current state of Fallen Gate?

I was in a progression guild ages ago on AB. We did each xpac at our own pace, had fairly strict gear/AA requirements on our raids and ... did whatever we wanted outside of those raids. Were the raids easy? Some were, some weren't. If it was too easy, we'd increase restrictions on gear to make it more challenging (yes, there were a few naked raids and many more handcrafted only). Instead of having devs who wouldn't moderate gear in a reasonable way anyway, a couple of officers did their version of the job.

There was a time when the choice was obvious. TLE provided more PUGs for leveling since it was slower and cap wasn't "far away", quests and gear were required to be completed to be able to meet more challenging content. But now? PUGs are extremely hard to form under level 70. And more often than not, at least a few members are mentoring since they can't find groups their own level so it goes from moderately easy for a 3 to 4 person group to a "free" power-level. Raid content is not difficult if you have a full raid, no need for good gear, just within 10 levels type of gear and expert level skills/spells.

Basically, most of the perks of TLE appear to be gone (low level PUGs, challenging content). You're going to be grouping with the same handful of people committed to the content and when you can't put a group together or find one, you're just out of luck since most of the rewarding content cannot be completed alone. So, to me, it's starting to seem like a progression guild has more pros than TLE does for experiencing lower level content. Ultimately, it seems to me, it all boils down to a frame of mind -- you're either committed to running the content or you aren't.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm thinking of abandoning the server and not for lack of interest in hitting older world content, but due to attrition and bad server moderation, challenging (but possible) content is out of my grasp. It seems more likely that I could find a handful of people on live servers interested in a progression guild and do the content more justice than what's being offered on Fallen Gate now.
  2. Kazooooooooooo Active Member

The primary cause of this is the expansion content isn't being released properly. On the first two TLE servers the content was a complete joke. You could overwhelm mobs and kill them in sub 1 min I believe. This time around and correct me if I'm wrong here but the loot isn't scaled or distributed properly.

BUT this next server has me drooling cause, at least for the first 3 or 4 xpacs **** should be ironed out and those were my favorite!
  3. Dude Well-Known Member

I have heard nothing about another TLE server. I have heard about the possibility of another PvP server, but nothing that would say it's going to be a TLE rule set.
  4. Kazooooooooooo Active Member

Well you couldn't do anything past SF really because the content wouldn't be scaled properly and I don't belive they have the PvP data to do it. Things got real broken around then and attempting to make half of that work in PvP is an enormous timesink. Therefore it'd have to be either TLE or something completely different which would make it so far gone from the original game that I'd be uninterested in playing
  5. Maledicere Member

HP on mobs is still a joke considering player dps. The only difference with FG is that the mobs put out a lot of damage; hence most groups running around with two healers. If you take out manaburn and lifeburn on nameds, enchanters beat out other mages significantly zonewide, because they can fit in a few spells before mobs are dead to melee. Gear is still whacked. Take a look at the server status and see, it's population is low and on par with other dead servers. FG is broken.

I cancelled, made a toon on live and am having a lot more fun just towing around a passive merc for heals. There are progression guilds there too, so I'll check one out.

But carry on with your PVP talks, I guess. It's probably why he made the one comment in Discord anyway, a joke to move the conversation away from anything serious.
    Mizgamer62 and Dude like this.
  6. Kazooooooooooo Active Member

You complain a lot. Wait til he realizes how screwed live is
  7. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

I found this part of the post the most amusing, if you subtract manaburn i'm still outparsing enchanters by like double on zonewides.
  8. Dude Well-Known Member

That's just your opinion. Mine is completely opposite. I tried both SH and FG. I hated them. It was not the original EQ2, it was slow, and wasn't fun. I deleted all those toons and didn't even bother doing the HQs on FG. Live is by no means perfect, but I'm having fun there and that's all that matters.
  9. Maledicere Member

I was talking about heroic content.

I'm not in a super raid force, so I don't know what the top two or three raid guild parses look like, but the ones I've attended, even with manaburn zonewide, wizards only do around 40% more dmg (not 200%). Again, the raid mobs aren't a big challenge and dps is never ever the problem when things fall apart so it's interesting how you focused on that one statement. In the vast majority of game content a wizard isn't going to be heading from mob to mob with every dps buff in game and manaburning, but I'll be looking forward to hear how these top raid guilds respond when manaburn is nerfed on the 31st.

My bet is that they'll be switching in other classes and dps buffs won't all be going to the wizard. So g'luck competing with all those other wizards for a raid spot since outside of raids, they just aren't that worthwhile.
  10. Kazooooooooooo Active Member

I'm glad you're having fun, that is what matters. I'm just here to warn you about live moving forward. It becomes increasingly more time consuming and much more convoluted. I'd venture to say its close to impossible for a new player to play on live and catch up without a ridiculous amount of time. TLE servers are closer to original Eq2 then live and there is no arguing that.
    Kalika and Cheallaigh like this.
  11. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

this is why i'm playing this server, i've tried live and as a player who started with SH(switched to live for about 3 months after the kos fiasco), there was just too much. i resubbed for this server.
  12. Kazooooooooooo Active Member

Awesome! Hope to see you on the new PvP TLE, if it does wind up happening.
  13. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Wizards are still going to have one of the highest zonewide's in game and cool buffs like ice lash and ro's blade, not to mention we get OP stuff like hailstorm/thunderclap next xpac. I know i'm not switching and my buffs aren't going to go away, not a hard concept.
  14. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

yeah, about that... not bloody likely. the pvp in both eq1 and eq2 was too easy and bored me, i played pvp for over 10 years as fps style that required actual keyboard skills, this click on a player mash buttons style doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. like i said before, i get why people love pvp, so do i, just not this style for me.

they make another TLE? doesn't matter if it's pvp or pve, i'll play out my account and not give them a penny more. i've been through the cycle enough on eq1, with them deliberately destroying servers by killing populations with new ones, which is why i switched to here. two severs(my time on DT was short lived it was so borked so i'm not counting it), is the only chance i'm going to give them, they screwed SH badly, i was hoping FG would be better and it is somewhat... but paying them again after they destroy yet another server to start over again? nope. people get sick of starting over and over again, i've done too many TLP/TLEs, to do it again.
    Mizgamer62 and Dude like this.
  15. Malachy Well-Known Member

Live is FUBAR. There is no comparison to make. EQ2 turned into a whole different game by DoV and they do no reitemize or recalibrate when they make sweeping, fundamental changes to current content. Make friends on TLE to run content with or quit.
  16. Kalika Well-Known Member

Live could be fun if the gear till level 95 or even 100 was not trivializing anything and if progression guild would exist.

FG is way easier than Vanilla, for non harcode guild it has some advantages : mainly you don t need an optimized roaster to clear the content; for 2 or 3 hardcore gild it' s boring because the clear everything on day 1 ...

FG xp till 65 was horrible but it got much better, heroic gear was terrible but veksar and runny gear looks way better, and raid gear is ok.

I hope that TSO itemization will be good from start and that FG will live till Drunder (Velious part 2).
  17. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Idk, was a different game in DoF, EoF, and SF to be quite honest.