[TLE] Results of the Desert of Flames Expansion Votes

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Maergoth Well-Known Member

I didn't use vit pots, kiddo. I got 30 levels in 3 days while vacationing across Europe, playing on the girlfriend's laptop after she fell asleep.

I can't even fathom what you guys are spending your time doing. Probably stuff that, even for roleplayers, makes zero sense.

"Hark, adventurer. Tis I, the collector of three DIFFERENT types of moths, and TWO different types of butterflies! Unable to obtain the THIRD type of butterfly, I embarked upon an epic unprecedented, slaughtering sixty-eight score gnolls for mottled pelts to sell to Boomba the Big to purchase an entire packed crate of butterflies from the evil, price gouging level 50 overlords for 18 silver.

Little do they know that I, Sapphirius, despite being named along the lines of girl-on-girl fun times, am now LORD of the moth and butterflies, and will exact my revenge come vote time. Now to do it on 14000 more alt accounts before DoF hits in 2018."

Come on. I'm a completionist. I do every quest, sidequest, collection, etc in every game that I come across. However, even *I* know that EQ2 is meant to be played as a zigzag to the top, not a sweeping, laser printing, corn-cob eating walk-a-thon.

In fact, I challenge any single uber questing supercompletionist soloer in this thread that I know more about the lore of this game than any of you, because I too was a casual player at one time, and I did so while completing a bare minimum of mindnumbing quests that don't even have a place in Free Realms.

The fact remains: People are scared of what the vote passing might mean to them. The only ones who know for sure what a vote means is the yes voters, who know for sure that they won't be able to play in the content they want.

My game theory professor is literally screaming at me right now to explain how this whole situation is ridiculous, and a vote set up like this is hugely stacked against yes-voters.
    Nelie likes this.
  2. Tayet Member

DoF has of course been cleared. However, DoF items have also been reworked, unlike many vanilla items. The devs jumped straight to working on DoF/KoS. DoF has peacock, which is a stupidly long quest line. DoF has factions to get in Maj Dul. DoF has instances that actually drop stuff. DoF has raids with scripts, which will still take people time to get used to again to clear it (of course, we do so much damage, it'll be a lot easier). DoF has loot people will want to farm, rather than sitting to watch conjurors AFK kill the nameds solo in LS, when you can't really compete with a pet class (who can pet pull from a mile away through aggro trash, or just afk at the spawn with the pet on defense). Yes, I made a second level 50 a summoner so I COULD compete, but a lot of people aren't gonna want to make a level 50 alt just to farm. DoF has the carpet mount a lot of people will want to get from Djinn master, cause it looks cool (a black & gold carpet, wee). DoF has poets, which drops the masters that don't upgrade for quite a while, so people will want to farm.

Whereas, vanilla has broken loot - wood drops off raid bosses (not that exquis are any better in most cases) - gear in LS which is the only stuff worth getting camped by pet classes 24/7 (some of them AFKing 18 hours straight under the nameds spawn point). Keep having nameds bug out. Fabled items are often vendor trash.

You're not gonna have people pushing for a yes vote on future expacs like you are having in vanilla (well, maybe some, but not anywhere near as many). Cause we'll have things to do in DoF/KoS/EoF/RoK. Many of us who voted yes this time will be right along side you on the no vote. Just not on vanilla, cause it's broken.

You guys are complaining the yes voted are "doom and gloom" while you're doing "doom and gloom" of assuming everyone who wants a yes wants a yes every month for every expac. You can't really complain if you're doing it too, but on the opposite end.
    Nelie, Sapphirius and Madmoon like this.
  3. Maergoth Well-Known Member

I explained why, Tylia. Nobody said race to any level. However, KoS unlocks AAs, which enhance base game for the better and provide desperately needed class balancing, as well as solid content for the endgame people. Win-win. Stop pretending it isn't. Yet, we're not even talking about KoS. That was just an example of how an expansion unlock THAT DOES affect the low end game will affect it positively.

You can't do that on a regular server. On a regular server, you can have some 300+ AA fully twinked out bot group (with mercenaries!) come roll up on you and dominate a zone. That is, if there was any desire or population to play in Wailing Caves with you. Except there isn't, so you couldn't actually do it on a regular server anyway.

The biggest benefit of this server is population. Period.

You go ahead and find those people running progression guilds and get them to tell you that they have been wasting their time on live servers. I guarantee they found plenty of enjoyment doing old content and could nearly ignore all the "new stuff", since "new stuff" at this point doesn't mean "better" stuff or "stuff that replaces old stuff".

I have yet to see a valid argument for why releasing DoF will, in any way, harm people playing on Vanilla. Not one. Yet, page after page I see plenty of people making completely legitimate claims to why releasing the expansion will HELP some people, be it a minority or not.

The argument against the vote is "Because many voted against it!" and "Because you can't always have what you want!"

That is hilariously stupid.

That is not an argument. That is snarky, oblivious fallacy.
    Tylia and Nelie like this.
  4. 4280777 Member

Although we're on the same side.., it's not completely true. Pets are not that strong as you may think. Pet alone can possibly kill only one named in LS, it's Flying Horseman guy, still the outcome may vary from time to time. All others Pumice, Cleaver, Asphyxia itc require tactics and effort. Anyways, whats the point of killing named afk if you don't loot?
    Sapphirius likes this.
  5. Tayet Member

Several, actually. Blaize's remains, can drop the level 50 hats, ^ and currently camped by a necromancer with his pet on defensive standing on the spawn point. Fiery Apparition yesterday had a conjuror at the spawn point at least 10 hours ( I didn't check after that), the day before, the same conjuror was sitting at his spawn point for 18+ hours letting their pet kill it, chests sitting at their feet at times, though they did come back with a minute or so to spare I saw to loot the chest. But, that was still AFK killing, they just have a timer so they can come back every 30 minutes for their chests (and if you miss one and someone else gets it, who cares, you weren't doing anything to get the loot anyway... and they were within seconds for some, so I am sure they missed others). Right now, two conjurors are at his spawn point with their pets on defensive, whoever gets hit first wins. The goblin near the quest camp is only ^^ and can also be solo'd by the pets. OolS, I go in there and summoners are often just sitting on top of the named spawn points all day long, with their pets on defensive. Seen it in CT as well. Set your timer, go make dinner, come back to a 2p hat your pet has farmed for you. Or, use the script that loots chests / fights for you and go to work, come back to bags full of legendary. Yes, AFK killing and the script are against rules, but that doesn't mean they don't still do it. Yes, hopefully the reporting them will get them taken care of. But, still. It's something that is annoying people.

The harder mobs, like Asphyxia, do require button pressing. But, the easier ones really do not. I made a level 50 summoner to be my farmer, so I can be just as annoying as the rest (though, I would never use the scripts or AFK kill like some of them are doing). But, I have time to make a second 50 just to farm with. Others don't.

In fact, I just died typing this post cause my invis wore off and I don't keep my pet on defensive when I am not paying attention. :D lol
  6. Alenna Well-Known Member

yes lets see what we have and find out about you.

your view on Grouping see below for what this makes you look like

your view on soloing see below for what this makes you look like

your view on PvP see below for what this makes you look like

Your view on crafting. guess you didn't mean it by MMOs being social and involving gaming communities since the crafting community in EQ2 is the best community they have. see below for what this makes you look lik.

EQ2 gives us houses and guildhalls(on live) decorating is a natural offshoot of that. see below for what your view on this playstyle makes you look like

pot meet kettle.

Your view on questing see below how that makes you look.
    ah now I get it you are one of those people who think their way is the only way to play any game instead of accepting that ALL PLAYSTYLES are worthwhile. see below how this make you look.

This is the most condescending elitist post I've ever seen and you wonder why those of us who don't make raiding the be end all of the game think raiders are arrogant elitists* who insist every one needs to play the way they do Sorry to burst your bubble raiding is not the only worthwhile playstyle there is. I'm not speaking as someone who hasn't raided and I have(casual) and hope to again as I enjoyed learning what my classes could do for raids as well as groups. I am speaking as some who enjoys all playstyles some more then others oh ok not PvP but i have tried it(Battlegrounds) All playstyles make this game worthwhile yes even PvP.

end rant.

*No I don't' really think raiders are arrogant elitists just the few who seem to be the most vocal on this forum. The raiders I've dealt with in the past are anything but. Thank you Neiloch et al for helping a novice Ranger out years ago with her AA spec on the old forum.
    Belenos, Rhodris, Adevil and 2 others like this.
  7. Madmoon Member

This is the part that will gnaw at you, so long as you chose to believe it. But besides being ludicrous, it's also just wrong. People voted no, not because they are scared - they're not - or that they hate you - they don't even know you exist - but because of one simple thing: they weren't ready to move on. When I voted no, I didn't think for an instance about anyone or anything else; I just looked at my situation and thought, "Nope, not ready for DoF, so, no." It was a personal decision, the same as for every other member of the server. After the vote, when I read about why some people are happy with the vote - not losing X% of the population to new areas, liking the slow pace of the server overall, etc., etc., I came to appreciate further reasons for a "no" vote. But at the time it was made, it was simple - "No, I'm not ready for DoF."

Had someone come up to me and said, "Hey, if you vote yes, I can go explore new content," I might have voted "yes," since it wouldn't have effected me, and might have helped someone else out. But now that I see what some of the "yes" voters are like, I'm glad I did not help such bitter, self-centered, angry, childish men.
    Alenna, Rhodris, Adevil and 1 other person like this.
  8. Madmoon Member

I didn't vote "yes," but this a cogent, thoughtful explanation with merit of why a "yes" vote ought to be given next time. Good on you, Tayet.
    Eradani and Sapphirius like this.
  9. Adevil Well-Known Member

You keep claiming people are scared of the vote...please explain why. I fully understand that YOU are afraid of the vote because it may not go your way next time either, but why do you think others are afraid of it?

If you can pin down the reason then maybe you can provide an argument to counteract the fear of a YES that you believe others have.
  10. Master Nala Member

From economics, to population, to simply not wanting the additional bells and whistles people have made very valid arguments for why they didn't vote yes. Whether you personally consider that argument "valid" is of no concern. That's the interesting thing about a vote. If you don't agree with my vote, you have the right to lobby me to change my reasons. But my reasons are valid simply because they motivated me to vote the way I voted.

But you keep stamping your feet and closing your eyes to why this vote went they way it did. You're just setting yourself up for more disappointment.
    Rhodris and Sapphirius like this.
  11. Adevil Well-Known Member

Oh, I missed that first read. What university/college/school has classes on a Sunday. Must be a religious studies class?
  12. Adevil Well-Known Member

I did say even before the vote went out that I'd vote no the first pass, but most likely yes the 2nd. Simmer down. I'm sure there are many like me who will vote yes next month.
  13. Urtog New Member

I'm currently just returning to eq2 an I'm quite disappointed the vote did not pass new content has no effect on lower players it just gives them something else to do when they do get to that level but for people having to stay at 50 when they have fully finished all content is no fair vote should be limited to 30+ I could see a no when rok comes out but not now...
  14. Adevil Well-Known Member

You have /petitioned about this summoner, right?
  15. Tayet Member

I cannot put in a /petition, because I already have one open for an exploit I found. I did /report the AFK ones I saw, after watching them to make sure they were AFK. *shrug* I'm sure others have though, I wasn't the only person to notice the AFK summoner with chests at their feet spending 18 hours at the same named the other day.
  16. Adevil Well-Known Member

I'm over 40 and voted No. Somehow I don't think putting in a higher limit would have changed anything in the ratio of the votes.
    Rhodris and Sapphirius like this.
  17. Adevil Well-Known Member

They need to change how to report exploters then. Obviously /petition isn't a good way unless they speed up the servicing of petitions.
  18. Tayet Member

They say you're supposed to use /report to report players, but it doesn't really let you give details like /petition does.
  19. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

But when will the rush to get a new x-pack out "RIGHT NAO!!!" stop? Some people are saying it'll stop at DoF. One person said the rush will stop at KoS. Several have claimed the rush to endgame will stop at EoF. You're saying it'll stop at RoK, and I've seen a couple say it'll stop at SF. Every single yes voter arguing that voting in a new expansion after only 30 days won't hurt the server seems to have a different x-pack where they claim things will begin to slow down.

Every single one of these people are lying to themselves if they think the rush to endgame will stop at <insert expansion name here>. We all know darn well that a month after DoF releases, people are going to be screaming for KoS, and a month after KoS releases, people will be screaming for EoF. A month after EoF releases, people will be screaming for RoK, and a month after RoK, they'll be screaming for TSO and so on and so forth.

I see people saying, "This is why the vote should be restricted to 20+ or 30+ or 40+ or whatever level!" I'm saying, "This is why the first vote should not have come up at all for at least 60 days."
  20. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

Reporting only works for the chat logs (and then, only for a certain amount of lines), so if they're not saying anything, then nothing much will happen. They need to be /petitioned, but I know Windstalker and Gninja are on the server a lot. Perhaps, if you put a little birdie in their ear, they may play an epic prank on these afk summoners.