TLE Gear Issues

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Lovidicus, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Lovidicus Active Member

Daybreak, can you not fix gear? Why are treasured items the same stats as fabled? Do you not understand why we play this game? We want to get cool new gear upgrades. But when that exquisite chest drops, nobody gives a **** because it contains the same stuff you get off any trash mob.

Don't just bump up the fabled gear to be fabled. We're not asking to be OP, we already are. We're asking for a purpose to raiding. We're asking to be excited when pulling a named. As it stands, there isn't a point. =P

But seriously, it's not hard. Just take all items and reduce their stats by 12% per tier. Leaving fabled gear as is. We'll lose some power, the game will be more challenging, raids will have an actual purpose, and we'll all play a lot longer.

Here I'll write the code for you. Just run this over your item database:

Code:
    /if ${Item.Tier} ==  "Legendary" then ${Item.Stats} = ${Item.Stats} - (${Item.Stats} * 0.12)
    /if ${Item.Tier} ==  "Master Crafted" then ${Item.Stats} = ${Item.Stats} - (${Item.Stats} * 0.24)
    /if ${Item.Tier} ==  "Treasured" then ${Item.Stats} = ${Item.Stats} - (${Item.Stats} * 0.36)
    /if ${Item.Tier} ==  "Uncommon" then ${Item.Stats} = ${Item.Stats} - (${Item.Stats} * 0.48)
    /if ${Item.Tier} ==  "Common" then ${Item.Stats} = ${Item.Stats} - (${Item.Stats} * 0.60)

Once done, that player who just geared themselves up in master crafted gear will get excited when they see a named because they might actually get an upgrade. And because of that thrill, they'll keep playing.

Oh oh oh, and players will have lower stats, making the game more challenging. Know what happens when you challenge people? They tend to rise to the occasion. And from that rise they gain a sense of accomplishment. That feeling triggers their brain's reward system making them want to continue playing.

Pretty cool right? Shoot me a PM if you want more help saving your company.

(Please note, I use sarcasm as a defense mechanism because I'm sometimes uncomfortable. But I do make this post with the best intentions. I want this game to be super awesome, like I know it can be. And for the record, I'm still having tons of fun. But I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel because of the issues mentioned above.)
  2. Zenji Well-Known Member

It's cute you think it is that simple.
  3. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

Not 100% sure, but I think their items are stored in flat files, which is why they had to write a "script" to update them. It is apparently a poorly written script, or their item storage is just a mess. Idk what language that is, but since we're playing armchair developer you can tighten it up by
    Code:
    if ${Item.Tier} == "Legendary" then ${Item.Stats} *= 0.88

4. Okanagan Member

AFAIK they use 'Item Levels' iLevel. Note this is not the same as the equippable / listed level on a given piece of gear. This determines the stats that a given item should have as not all legendaries, fableds are 'worth' the same etc. The iLevel separates them out. Each item has a hidden iLevel associated to it.

The result of this is that their database for a lot of items is a complete mess, and you have treasured gear with an iLevel equal or higher to a fabled piece which results in that item receiving said higher or equal stats.

This is why it's not just a matter of pushing a button and why the script is pretty hit or miss as it depends on the accuracy of the items in the database.
    Zenji likes this.
  5. Zenji Well-Known Member

^ This is how Fyreflyte explained it a couple years ago. And when you mix that with the overlapping loot tables across dozen of different zones / instances / bosses and even expansions, then compound that with 15 years of different developers making "changes" to some but not all items it ends up a big mess.
  6. Atan Well-Known Member

yeah, and they've tried to /flush and recreate it several times with mixed success.

I would agree that this is the most significant problem they need to solve to have a quality TLE experience. It has been the paramount problem of every TLE to date, and remains the prime source of problems on this server. It's spaghetti code, its not easy, but if they really want to deliver a quality TLE, they need to find a resource model to solve it.

They're current staffing and resources, I don't think the can solve this.

As the OP eluded to, its not just that rewards are not coming from the appropriate challenge level, we become over geared as a result of the quality of gear coming from trivial sources.