Tiptoeing back into the game

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Holymoly, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Holymoly New Member

Ex Holymoly, Mystic of Runneyeye server (remember that?!)

So here I am, many years later after saying I would never pay SOE one more single brass farthing and I'm thinking of coming back.

Way back when, I well remember the EQ2Flames theorycrafting threads about building the perfect character and now I look around it seems all the sites from back in the day that used to be alive with discussion seem to have died. Where does one go now for all the leet strats and AA builds to perfect dps? It all seems fairly anaemic now if you don't mind me saying.

Don't drive me away before I've even arrived!
  2. Lil Mantis Member

Welcome back!
  3. harvash Active Member

http://eq2wire.com/
    http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_search
    http://eq2library.com/

Have fun and welcome back!
    Prissetta likes this.
  4. Spindle Well-Known Member

Welcome back! It's good to see your name again.

Harvash has posted some good links. EQ2U is a great site. It's easy to create a free login to check your characters and guilds, etc. Not sure why Feldon keeps an soe page but whatever.

Feldon also created a chat forum on the EQ2Wire site at player requests. Check it out.

EQ2Traders is still going strong for all the crafty folks that tradeskill questers. Den Mum still publishes the best amusing and info packed articles for expansions, updates and holiday events.

The latest expansion seems to have generated a lot of controversy about just about anything one can imagine, especially if one concentrates only on end game. The forums are rife with pages of text and such. Some good posts, great posts and, yes, popcorn posts.

Oh, Feldon is looking for another writer for EQ2Wire and I seem to remember you have great writing skills. Here is the posting: http://eq2wire.com/2017/03/07/eq2wire-looking-for-a-staff-writer/

Welcome back!
    Prissetta likes this.
  5. Holymoly New Member

Thanks for the kind words however I'm a bit dismayed at how insipid and bland the online community has become. It's almost as if casual gaming has evicted the hardcore crowd. There doesn't seem to be much competition between raid guilds anymore and little incentive to min/max your characters. I guess it was always possible to sleepwalk your way solo to cap but I remember even the Isle of Refuge was capable of handing your **** to you on a plate with certain mobs now I can solo the Guurok with an untwinked level 8 without dropping health. I'm a little disappointed if I'm honest. I'll give it a month to see how things develop but I'm not optimistic. It looks like everyone grew up and moved on. The only good thing so far is that the mechanics still seem agreeably complicated compared with the competition. They better not have messed with crafting is all I can say....
  6. rutro Well-Known Member

You hit it right on the head. The content has been going down hill since I would say AOM. When mercs, dumbing down mobs even more, inflated stats, and too many instances. (**** overland play). I am guessing they were trying to make it more like WOW. A lot of WOW people came here, and that is what most of the whining is about. They cant login and find end game gear in their inbox. Also, the gear is reset every single expansion to the point that previous gear and most progression is gone. It is almost like playing a new game ever expansion...LOL! Who knows, you might like it. For the most part-nothing in the game can kill you until you get to say heroics. PS- the big thing now is sitting in auction channel and buying gear from the few old people left over. No more PUG groups, and no incentive for new people to group. So, once these people get geared with what they bought in auction they cant find groups and quit. Another thing, the people making plat hand over fist VIA Selling Loot Rights are buying all the kronos low and selling high. (getting you at both ends). However, I think they have screwed themselves by driving prices too high. It is crazy. If this game goes down I will probably go to FF Online. Seems to be the only decent MMO besides this one left.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  7. Holymoly New Member

I think what shocked me the most was being able to acquire 500 plat by essentially harvesting for 3 days. When I left I had amassed 700p on my main and was essentially one of the most wealthy characters on the server. I had done this without gouging the broker as well. I'm not saying one way is right and the other wrong, it is just the change is astonishing to me.
  8. Heck62 Active Member

This game is nothing like it was back when there was a Runneyeye server.This game is pay to Beta test now.With an Emphasis on pay.