Tips to improve DPS- Wizard

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Destovie, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Destovie Member

can anyone please give me a few tips on how to improve dps on a wizzie?
    been struggling a little to get really high dps
    i have full potent armor and cc of 640
    if you want to have a look at my toon on eq2 wire - name= dareadino
    :)
  2. Aord New Member

First, what is your consistent DPS output in such zones as: Fableds, TOV instances?
    What is "real high DPS" in your terms?
    How long since you begin to play a Wizard class and have you levelled up form 1 or rolled a 85 Heroic char?

Factors of Good DPS (in my opinion) = Adorns, Gear, Spell rotations, Amount of time played, Good group setup, AA builds
  3. Destovie Member

i usually get around 800k on fights
    real high dps id say is about 1.5mill+
    i did play a wizard from lvl 1 to about 40 and i rolled a new wizzie at 85 as a heroic
    im also not sure what the best adorns for me are. im getting told different things by different people on my server making me confused :(
  4. Destovie Member

5. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Its sad that you aren't getting any response here. I am no wizard expert and not the best suited person to answer this but I'm going to help you the best I can.

Your main dps, as far as I've heard about wizzies comes from your fiery blast rotation. So what you need to do is figure out a good spell cycle to use once you cast FB. In single target.fights you want use your quickest and strongest spells and also try keep your alternate ice comet from prestige at instant cast so it can be used during your FB on both AE fights and SL fights.

Another important thing in your average dps is your autoattack. So try to get as much "no stamina" gear as possible and the wand from zandicars. Finding a balance between autoattack stats and spellcasting stats (doublecast and ability mod) is important. I cannot tell you exact numbers.

If you need to look at a wizzie for an idea what to aim for you can look up (and I hope he wont mind that I'm putting his name here) Hopslam. I've seen him do huge dps in heroics.
  6. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

And for adorns I usually try to get as much cast speed as possible, casting speed is great for reforging.
  7. Destovie Member

on my last fight with gangel in labs heroic my fiery blast only did 3.9mill damage. id guess that that is low?
    EDIT: what should a wizzie be doing with FB? ive been trying to improve the dps for months and nothing is working.
    im beginning to consider to give up dpsing and switch class.
    im also getting confused. people are telling me completely different things about everything. about how much dps mod i should have, how much pot and cb i should have, about what gear i should be wearing. i just want honest advice on what i should have. i dont want to be told 1 thing and it not work at all then get told another thing that also doesnt work.
    and please dont start an arguement below about what is best.
  8. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Yes i understand your frustration. Wizard is a tricky class to play, no matter what other people say, they are tricky!
    3.9mil FB is low yes. your AA looks good and your stats does'nt have any major flaws either.
    It is hard to tell you what you have to do and what stats you need to do it etc etc.
    Really your best bet ís to work on a training dummy. Try different rotations as that seems to be the biggest issue, if ur FB hits for 3.9mil then FB is the problem. and FB is very dependent on a good spell rotation.
    Start with thunderclap, it can be cast twice in one FB rotation. Sanguine sacrifice-spellbind-FB-Thunderclap-(Instant)BoD-(instant)E´CI´ is a good start on both AE and SL fights.

Practice on dummies. FB is the problem here, sort that out, forget about stats and gear untill you can get your FB atleast double your current FB.
    Destovie likes this.
  9. Destovie Member

am i meant to be getting lower dps on a dummy compared to a heroic mob?
    my fiery blast hit for 700k less on dummy :(
  10. Aord New Member

It would have helped if you had provided a link to your profile and AA spec you use for DPS (yes, i am too lazy to search for it and you are too lazy to read threads in that other forum).
    And you won't make much difference in your FB unless you begin to factor in the AAs and AA abilities - Frozen Detonation, for example.
  11. Destovie Member

12. Aord New Member

Sent you PM.

Have a look and come back with more detailed questions.

As for your gear, it's pretty good and you can do more DPS. Get yourself more Potency or Potency/CB purple adorns - you do not have to adorn crit in most of the slots. Empty slot = DPS loss.
    Do not underestimate your melee (crush) damage - check other wizards' parses, you will see it's close to the top.
    Always factor Frosen Rain/Detonation and clickies into your FB rotation - for insta-cast Eci's Frozen Wrath and possible Fusion refresh. There are many tricks to learn, but it takes practice - get training dummy (possibly many heroic ones and an epic) then unleash your DPS on this encounter. Then watch your ACT parse and notice the spells on top of your parse.
  13. Tyman Active Member

Assuming 150stacks of frozen, a very very very basic FB rotation would be Sanguine + temps FB-> TC ->Fusion -> E'ci + Bod -> Fusion if reset-> Freehand + Frozen rain if less than 4 mobs, Frozen det if 5+ -> TC whatever else you have time for. If multiple mobs, firestorm is generally better than TC.

For gear and stuff... better food would help a lot (draconic or MCF)

White adorns normally should favor int/magic skills/abmod if nothing else fits
  14. SacDaddy420 Active Member

oh i dunno dude let me look at you
  15. SacDaddy420 Active Member

Drop reuse and casting to around 80 so when you get buffs you are at 100. Drop those crit chance adorns and replace with abmod or better yet, DPS. Reforge into DPS, get ~20 accuracy, then abmod (this is specific for you).

The one purple rune you got is terrible. Ditch it and get Truespirits' Legacy, Screams of Battle, Winds of Obol, Magnitude or Overwhelming Onslaught, and Bolstered attributes or Harrowed Madness.

Get rid of those feet, a wizard should have potency everywhere available. If you want to keep the weapon bonus, get Dreadlord.

Your winning hand charm is pointless. Replace it with either the Vigor charm from VD, get into a pickup labs raid and get the clickie potency one, or at the very least get the static +20 (ish, going off memory) potency charm from Heroics.

Your aeraken charm is fine, its a good clicky, but you need to up your auto attack stats to really get use out of it. You need to do this anyway. 297 dps is too low. 500+ is what you want.

Plundered Mistmoore secrets are for tanks. get rid of that. get a potency or crit bonus proc, I know theres one for that slot. Your neck is bunk. Get the Comraderie neck out of VD.

You have cerebral Destruction in 2 slots. Thats a waste. its a good debuff, i guess, but you want a pot/cb increase proc. Find em, they are out there in Heroic zones.

Get Draconic Visionary food. Its cheap and better than ambrosial.

AA looks good.

Fiery Blast is our ish. If you cant master that you need to betray and go ez mode Focused Casting or something. 3.9 single target is way too low. Someone in this thread above has already given you a basic single target FB rotation. I will now clue you into my max multi target (7+ mobs) rotation. Thank me later when you eventually pull it off without dying....probably around the 10th time you try it...

you must have max inc's going into this:

Sanguine> clicky temps> Spellbind> FB > Frozen Det > Concussive Blast> Firestorm> Eci's> Blast of Dev> Fro Det> TClap> Firestorm. Hit chains or bewilderment now to dump the hate from the pwnage. And/or click yes on the res window.

This chain doesnt work unless you have enough targets to max your increments during the rotation, so befriend a mass pulling tank.

Practice. Its not an easy class to use despite what some would say. On each server Ive been (4) on theres usually been under 10 wizards that impress me. And I pug -alot- with my alts and main. Do not be scared to die. Do not hold anything back. A competent tank can lock down a named from the very beginning of the fight. A good healer will keep you up.

Kill the mob before it kills you.
    Faelynn and Destovie like this.
  16. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Loved your post sacdaddy! ALMOST made me wanna gear up my wiz!
  17. Destovie Member

Thanks for that post. I will work on the things you said I need tomorrow. I did play around with some stuff and I managed to pull of an average in fabled labs zone of just over 2.3mill parse. I don't know if that was because of the stuff I changed or if it was all the raid buffs that put it up. Although I suspect that the raid buffs would not make that difference.

I have been getting unlucky in finding the correct boots. I know you can get those tokens and you can exchange the armor pieces but I have barely managed to get any boots.
    I also haven't done vd in a while due to me hating pugs for vd. Last one has put me off pug for vd for good.

I will see tomorrow how my adjustments fare in group zones as I dont have a raid until Sunday.
  18. Ververa New Member

Going off of what SacDaddy said if I were you I would cast E'Ci's and Blast of Devastation before Frozen Det seeing as they insta cast when you have full increments on Frozen Solid.
    Faelynn and Hiza like this.
  19. zzmax929 Member

His point was to show a good FB order for when there are several AE targets. Get the best results with squeezing in 2 Frozen Detonations in the FB sacrificing instant cast for building the stack for the 2nd use. Hope that made sense.
  20. SacDaddy420 Active Member

you are correct if theres less than 7 targets. Also, Fusion first to see if you get a reset. And if there's under 5 Frozen Rain will hit harder.