Tips on PL'ing

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Amaru, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Amaru New Member

Hello All,

This weekend I plan on power leveling a friend's alt. Our goal is to get him to 95 in the shortest time possible. Aside from the pots etc, does anybody have any good tips? What are some good PL spots etc? Any advise would be much appreciated, we don't normally PL so we are fairly new to this.

Regards
  2. Yukishiro1 Active Member

What class is being PLed? If it's something you can easily hit an aoe on before you kill the mobs, make sure to do that so you get the increased exp.
  3. Amaru New Member

The class is a Fury (I am a Nec), I am not familiar with them but I can ask him if they have any AOE's. Thanks for that tip too, I actually forgot about that "hit to get increased XP" thing. Thanks!
  4. Eileithia Active Member

All they need to do is get on the hate list to get maximum XP. A Fury should just be able to roll heals on you to be considered participating. They don't actually have to hit the mob.

You should be fighting Heroic content that is ORANGE to the fury (Not Red)
    Best zone progression I found to get the fastest XP
    Level 1-15 - Solo quest line in starting area (Darklight woods)
    Level 15-25 - Fallen Gate
    Level 25-30 - Varsoon
    Level 30-40 - Runnyeye
    Level 40-45 - Obelisk of Lost Souls
    Level 45-50 - Solusek Eye
    Level 50-55 - Clefts of Rujark
    Level 55-60 - Silent City / New Tunaria
    Level 60-65 - Forsaken City
    Level 65-70 - Halls of Fate / Unrest
    Level 70-75 - Karnor's Castle / Sebilis
    Level 75-80 - Runnyeye 2
    Level 80-90 - Grind out all the scaling zones and Drunder (This part sucks)
    90+ - Skyshrine

Following this I leveled my Beastlord to cap in 2.5 days played time. I probably could have done it faster but I mucked around a little with some other friends at lower levels.

Edit: This is all assuming you don't care about AA's and are going to hit 280 with the COE item.
  5. Darkholis Active Member

Here is the path I usually take.

Level 1-10 - Solo quest line in starting area
    Level 10-20 - Wailling Caves
    Level 20-30 - Fallen Gate
    Level 30-40 - Ruins of Varsoon / Runnyeye
    Level 40-50 - Permafrost
    Level 50-55 - Clefts of Rujark
    Level 55-60 - Pillars of Flames (Cyclops / Giants)
    Level 60-65 - Sanctum of the Scaleborn
    Level 65-70 - Den of the Devourer / Halls of Fate
    Level 70-75 - Karnor's Castle / Nizara
    Level 75-80 - The Hole (Waves in 3rd wing)
    Level 80-90 - Sebilis
    Level 90-95 - Skyshrine

Good hunt :D
  6. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

This is a good one ^^ and is close to the path I take.

The only thing I'd add to this is: don't be a jerk. If there are people in these zones actually at the level of the area and actually playing the game, go somewhere else. For every suggestion in this list, there is an uncontested area you can run and still 'keep moving', although this list is 'the best' of the PL'ing areas.
  7. Amaru New Member

Thanks all, those two PL zone guides are going to help a ton. Much appreciated!
  8. Yukishiro1 Active Member

Yeah, if it's a healer you're PLing you don't even have to use aoes, just make sure he's rolling a hot on you all the time.
  9. Regolas Well-Known Member

You won't be able to do skyshrine as a duo.

You can mentor to 80 (both of you if he's above 80) and do the kunark dungeons all the way to 95 but when mentoring you lose the encounter xp, which is a reasonable chunk. Skyshrine is much better xp but it's not bad xp doing the kunark ones mentored still (at 80 the majority of the mobs deeper in are yellow so good xp).

You could also try SF dungeons (instances or the Hole) or Kael at 85-95 as they are level 90 mobs. Not sure how good their xp is though. Kael is the hardest but decent xp.
  10. Priority Well-Known Member

80+ you should form a group for Skyshrine, xp in there is insane. Just stand at the back and keep hots rolling and you should be alright.
  11. Yukishiro1 Active Member

Chelsith got nerfed but it's still better grinding exp than any of the SF dungeons IIRC. Although the Hole is ok too in parts. Nothing beats skyshrine groups though for sheer speed.
  12. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Chelsith got nerfed for the WAY people were grinding in there - the never ending bubble thing. If you go in and just kill everything, that's one zone with a TON of mobs, so it's still useful in that regard. The Hole is the same thing: ton of mobs.

I do agree with your Skyshrine assessment, but so does everyone else, so it's sometimes easier/less crowded to go to a lower leveled dungeon and chrono.
  13. Regolas Well-Known Member

As a necro and warden duo skyshrine is impossible. If you can get a tank and healer then great!

Any class under L90 also gets one shotted by AEs there, so expect to get ressed a lot. You will still gain xp well, but you'll miss some kills too as you'll be dead waiting for a res!
  14. Lemont New Member

I have been pling a couple of toons lately. I have found the best experience for the time spent is mentored to 65 and running the big circle in sanctum till ur eyes bleed. I will run seb if sanctum is camped however. One big tip I can give and wish I had done on this last took was lock at 65 and work on AA's. I didn't have the claim able 280aa and didn't realize u needed that many to lvl past 90. Its been rough going farming those on a 90 with 70aa.
    I do agree however that at 90 your best bet is skyshrine if you can group. Tho lately fail pugs have made me wish I had spent the time running sanctum instead.
  15. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I really like this tactic, and have used it for many characters. If I'm having a bout of insomnia, I can zone in and run this loop for hours with an old movie on - no one is usually there late at night.

My plea earlier still goes for Sanctum, though. If there is a group in there actually trying to run it and they are at the level of that zone, just go run the 70 dungeons (Roost, Den, Halls of Fate, etc). You have some transport time, but it's not that much and you weren't a jerk.
  16. Glundar Active Member

So some other questions.

With a 95 SK is it better to mentor or to chrono down to 10 levels above the other toon and wipe the mobs faster. Secondly what colour should the mobs be for the levelling toon white, yellow, Orange, red. Thirdly are heroic or epic better. I know the epic give better experience but is it enough for the longer fight times.

I know I can work most of this out with some time and effort but thought if someone knows that would save the time for killing mobs. If not I will try and work it out and post back
  17. Ahupu Well-Known Member

They changed the entry restrictions for Skyshrine. There is now absolutely no way to enter sub 90. Not a guild flag not CoV. Try and you are booted to the withered lands. Also when your friend hits 86 make sure you have invested in expert spells for them 86-95. And their level 70 group heal. Once you are leveling them in these levels they can make a worthwhile contribution, but their spells need to be up to snuff. Also if you go to SS their group heal will not be powerful enough if it is not upgraded.
  18. guard Active Member

no if you are higher level they get a lot less xp you need to mentor them or both chrono to the same level. best to kill yellow to orange con mobs depending how fast you can kill them. heroic is better as kill time to xp is faster than doing epic's
  19. guard Active Member

surprised no one mentioned poa for 65 -70
  20. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

PoA isn't quite as good as SoS (IMO) and it's tougher to box that zone. There are all the climby walls, and the bouncy hallway. The elevators are all weird if you pull a boxed toon on AF onto them...and any number of places in that zone where a boxed toon will be lost or fall to their death.

If everyone is actually beind a toon at the keyboard, I agree - it's a great zone in which to PL. There is a lot of AA there and several Achievements.