Timed Quests - Do you like them?

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by NrthnStar5, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Feldon Well-Known Member

I thought the timed quests in Phantom and Tranquil Seas were fun and gave a little something for people during downtime between groups. However the rewards from the ToT and GU73 GU100 timed quests are so good, I think most people figure the best use of their time is not traditional grouping but the key/chest chase.
    Lateana likes this.
  2. Chikkin Well-Known Member

I tried a few in AoM, there's only 2 I do on any regular basis, mountain climber and seagull shooting, great exp for my newbs who are high level crafters.
    Illusions don't thrill me, as a druid I learned to turn off illusions pretty early on.
  3. Estal Well-Known Member

I thoroughly enjoyed the crab one the first time round.

However, I absolutely despise the idea of grinding for lottery tickets (which is what the timed quests in ToT and Gu100 effectively amount to), so personally I simply don't bother with them at all beyond the first time.
  4. Daeanor New Member

I don't like anything that requires me to fail a dozen times before I can figure out the trick to them, much less so when you can't try more then once in 24 hours. The new Crabber quest is s perfect example. It can't be completed in time unless you know exactly where to run for the next update, so the first few attempts you have to hunt around looking for the seagulls. Other quests require you to compete in a contested area with others doing the same quest, and "waiting until it's not so crowded" is an awful "solution." When I see a timer on a quest, I automatically delete it. They were awful in AoM, and the new Zek ones are just as bad.
  5. Loendar Member

I've never done one - though I have gotten them. Even the allure of special loot isn't enough to make me want to race against time. If I'm not able to complete it, I get nothing - no thanks.
  6. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

I liked the timed ones in AoM but not sure about the ToT ones. I only finished one of them in Thalumbra so far. I didn't like the timed ones in the ToT dungeons cuz it totally stressed me out not knowing if I had to complete them to finish zone. If I had more time to adventure I might not mind them so much in ToT. The new update stuff (Scourge or whatever it is called), haven't had any time to go check it out. I am always behind everyone else.
  7. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Umm, I don't particularly care for the Crab quest, Chrol, sorry. Being a crab is fun, but it seems a bit long for a timed quest.

Clearcutter: I love this one, when zone is fairly empty. You mentioned that the mobs should be visible only to those on the quest, did I get that right? This AM, there were several players, all apparently on Clearcutter. It appeared we were competing for the quest mobs. This AM, I was doing the solo. I remember us trying this one in Heroic and not being able to complete.

So, to answer your question: Most timed quests in AoM, I knew I could complete. That said: Dead guy under the water, Stumps and killing pigs are all cool. Oh yes, annihilating destructors. That one is awesomeness for a Zerker. ;)

edit: Kitty-speak aside, the quests I do like are
  8. Yahtsee/Daesania Member

I actually really like the timed quests, though i'm curious on the timer on them. In thalumbra it was 3 hours, no? I'm not sure what zek is.
  9. suka Well-Known Member

i don't do the timed quest. i can never seem to finish them in the time allotted. i also don't do timed zones- where you have only 90 minutes or so to clear the zone and kill the final mob. i really do not like timed anything. i don't even play timed games like card games. it bothers me to have a timer on me. i want to go at my own pace- not be pressured.

after all, i am retired and this is my entertainment. i met plenty of challenges in real life. now i just want to enjoy and relax. if i am being timed, it becomes a chore and is no longer fun for me.
    Livejazz, Ratala and Prissetta like this.
  10. suka Well-Known Member

i know you aren't asking for feedback on rewards, but the rng on those quests are often so terrible that some of us are simply not inclined to bother. if the keys dropped more often, and if the adorns dropped more reliably, then perhaps we wouldn't feel like we are playing a fool's lottery every time we try for something. personally, i don't care for the gambling aspect. if i want to play games of chance, i would play the lotto. i think there should be alternative routes for people who don't care for rng. i would love the mythical altars, but i give up on ever getting them. it isn't really fair to put such awesome things behind an rng that is heavily tilted against our favor. yeah the rewards are nice - but only if you can actually acquire them.
    Livejazz, Prissetta and flameweaver like this.
  11. Ishuna Well-Known Member

I tried a couple in aom once then never tried them again. I delete it if a quest comes up with a timer. I just find it stressful and not fun. For me, it detracts from the world too, it feels like it stands out too much as a mini game within the game and lessens the immersion.
    Livejazz likes this.
  12. Seni Active Member

Same. They make me anxious. I play to relax because I have too much stress on a daily basis, so I don't (really, can't) do more that stresses me out. More power to those who like them, though. I just wish there were other ways to get the gear.
    Livejazz likes this.
  13. Azian Well-Known Member

Since I feel obliged to run these multiple times daily for the tiny chance at the right key to give me a tiny chance at the right reward, I'm not hugely in love with them. Echoing what others have said, I could do them in ToT or AoM to fill time or have a bit of a distraction. Now, they feel mandatory and since I feel grossly under-powered in raids without any type of ethereal compared to those in front of me on the dps parse, I keep running the key quests.

As for the construction of the quests themselves, since I'm feeling forced to do them, my favorite ones are the fastest ones. I know, not what you want to hear.

One surprise I ran into just last night was when I ran the solo quests for the first time on a non-crafter. I BARELY managed to get the lion quest done in time (about 5 seconds left) due to "failed to harvest" messages trying to get the lion parts. I realize that's a problem that will remedy itself if I keep doing it as I'll get skill increases but holy crap that made that particular quest much more challenging than I believe is intended.
  14. Fletch Active Member

I like them because it gives me something to do while I have my morning coffee that doesn't involve me being social but I still get something useful out of it. As for the complaints about the loot, I disagree. The mythical ranged from the ToT keys is nice for sure but not a game changer worth chasing after if you don't like timed quests. The Ethereal runes are a game changer but there are other places to get them and ultimately whining about "having" to run timed quests to get them is silly. Would you rather spend your life in KP contested praying for a lucky drop? Wait, you can still do that, all the timed quests did was gave you another way to get them. As far as the RNG odds being too low, it needs to be this low. For people with multiple level 100s getting keys is pretty easy so if the odds were better it would just flood the game with the most powerful items.
  15. Livejazz Well-Known Member

I've tried a few of the key quests in GU100, but haven't finished any of them successfully, & have grown entirely discouraged from caring any further. I like GU100 for shiny farming, but other than that, I won't miss it after my sub runs out this Friday.

Chrol asked:
    I loathe it -- I always click "hide my illusion form" in options because I don't want to see it, but this crab quest appears to over-ride my settings, which bothers me intensely because I want to look at my glorious Kerran-ness, not some silly illusion. So I won't touch the crab quest, but I greatly doubt I'd do it even if it didn't make me look like a scuttle-butt.
  16. CharbrynEQ2 Well-Known Member

The only way to get these items (ethereal runes) now is to run these key quests ad nauseum and pray for a rare reward from a rare reward, or try to complete in contested when it is overrun with bot groups. Therefore these key quests feel like WORK, not like fun. I don't get paid to play this, quite the opposite.

It would either be work to farm for them for runes for me, or farm for them to sell for coin. Either way, work.

I ran into the same thing with the ToT key quests. It felt like a job, until I just said forget it and quit doing them. However, with the ToT key quests you at least got gear you could transmute or salvage, so you had a choice if you wanted to keep the gear, crush it, and either use it to make adorns or infusers. Zek - I honestly don't care if I ever run into a wrought iron chest because it is just infusers that won't do much on my gear that is already pretty maxxed out on infusing.

The AOM quests were fine, because the rewards were just status and ferrin. They were quick and quests you could do while you were in the area working on the weekly, or the questline, or whatever. There wasn't a RNG element to them.
  17. Marranda Active Member

I don't like the idea of having to farm them if u want the very rare chance of a good reward. Sadly dice can be kind to some and terrible to others. And then u get something like a tank charm when your a healer really! A rare key for a tank charm :( made me rage quit for the day. I wish they had healer rewards for healers and give the tank ones to the tanks?? I see botts with 6 in group running the solo version and then selling them on broker and that makes me sad too. Why? Well takes me about 3 hours to get the 6 sets of keys they get in 30 mins. Best reward CHANCE in game for a key makes me sad too. I would much rather work for it thru a really quest or get a master quest that says run 1000 keys and u get the UBER reward at the end. Not a tank charm when your a healer! Or get a ethereal your class can actually use verses one that sits in your bag cuz u cant even give it to an alt :( I use 2h as a mystic, yet get the ethereal for a shield another rage quit for the day. So No I don't like timed quest. The infusers I like they help us get the gear upgraded. But the random blood key loot bites! just sayin :)
    And yes I also feel like its a JOB, not fun at all. I do them only cuz I like my toon to be the best it can be. The infusers help but to get a bad reward when u do get lucky enough to get the rare blood key well that's just not cool.
  18. jbc1948 Well-Known Member

They are ok. I usually do 1 or 2 from each xpac after attempting most of them a couple of times to pick a preference.
    The only ones I don't like are "contested" types. Trying to beat a timer and whatever mobs you encounter is one thing. Try to do that and hope some other players are killing needed mobs is a real pain. A prime example of that is the GU100 "lumberjack" one.
  19. Lady Eternity New Member

I like the timed quests as long as they are not too hard. Actually, I wouldn't mind the difficulty if you didn't have to wait so long if you mess up. Five minute reset timer for failing is good enough I think. That way you can 'keep in mind' what you did and didn't do. For me I always go off and do something else...and by the time I get back to it...I have no idea what I did or didn't do. Lol, but then I am getting up there in years so it could be that. ;)

I loved the timed quests in AoM. I don't like them much in ToT. I think it is because in AoM I was getting currency to buy what -I- wanted. In ToT it's for keys...which give random...perhaps a bit oddly random...loot out of the chests I have to hunt down all over the zone. The last round I did with the keys and chest in ToT I got the same 3 items over and over out of the gold chest. (I had like 8 keys). Which means either the script isn't random enough or there are not enough items in the list to get. Either way I finally said pffft to it and stopped doing the timed key quests, deeming the time spent not worth it.

So final verdict for me: AoM Timed = :D b/c it rewarded currency I could CHOOSE what to do with and they were fun.
    ToT Timed = o_O b/c the loot repeats too much from the chests and the timed are sometimes too hard.
    Orc Wastes=:oops: so far I am liking them, but haven't found them all yet.