TiL EXP Bonus

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Justaquestion111, May 22, 2018.

1. Justaquestion111 New Member

It's been a long time since I played EQ2 but I did hear that current expansions have an EXP bonus enabled. In Echoes of Faydwer this seems ok as you can 1-70 exclusively there.

Can the same be said of Kunark? I know Timorous Deep goes 1-20, but will there be a very slow drought until The entry point of RoK happens? I was thinking about starting up again but if the exp will be like non-EoF zones then it's a hard pass.
    Kalika likes this.
  2. Nilyana Active Member

Wondering how they're going to handle this, myself. Back when the server was announced I was all in favor of giving an exp bonus to old and lower level content. I wanted people to be able to join in the server even after it's several expansions out, and not feel like they're stuck with a major grind, or have old content just be abandoned. Right now Faydwer is great because at least people can catch up to the current cap, and there's a good population of people leveling up new characters and alts to support this. We've had a lot of new people joining up and sticking around because of it! But, at the same time, old zones are being left behind. I saw someone trying to get a group going for SOS a few days ago and people responded with 'why bother with that zone?' Would be nice to see this looked at so people can still have an exp bonus to level up on, but also one that doesn't leave a ton of zones behind. If they only add an exp bonus to Kunark zones, we'd be left without either.
    Mizgamer62 and Simparri like this.
  3. Gibbie New Member

Im of 2 minds on this one, as a new player of 5 months (3 on FG) I can see why people who have played a while want to level up a toon very fast. At the same time I had a blast leveling up 2 toons by mostly doing quests and learning some of the lore. When ROK comes out I plan on again leveling up to 80 by doing quests and enjoying the story line.

While I would like to see them leave in the bonus exp for fast leveling of a toon, isn't one of the reason they made TLE was because people wanted the experience of the game way back when, including the slow leveling progression?
  4. Nilyana Active Member

I agree that, ideally, leveling should be slower than on a live server. But I think there needs to be a balance between that and the slow grind we had when the server launched. That slow grind works fine for the base game, and even the first few expansions, but after that it's too much, and even back then by that point experience seemed like it had adjusted, too. People get spread out in the level ranges too much, end up feeling like they have to solo their way to the cap if that's where they want to be. If someone is interested in seeing raids they missed before, that can stop them from joining up. People maybe don't make as many alts since it is a pain to level, which further hurts the lower level new people. That was one problem we ran into on SH. I mean SH had a bunch of problems with itemization and other problems, but as we got a few expansions in it was also hard to bring in new people because many people didn't want to do the lower levels again. There is definitely a bit of balance that needs to be kept in mind to make new people feel like it's not too late to join, but keep some challenge to the server.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  5. SaintBardlington New Member

Any update? Has exp been hosed?
  6. Milksteak New Member

I am getting like .1-.2% a kill on level 68-70 orange con no arrow mobs at level 63 in Loping Plains WITH vitality. This was like .4-.5% at least before, and I believe that was without vitality. They definitely did something to EoF exp and I am not sure what to even do to level anymore (solo) having done most of the solo quests in EoF and KoS and I believe I am too low to start Kunark.

I came back and started a new character mid EoF and it really started to drag in the high 50s. Now without EoF bonuses in I wouldn't even want to start here, grinding up to 80 without being able to really do any bonus xp until high 60s. Might just cancel my sub until the next TLE hits.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  7. Milksteak New Member

Pretty much any game made today adjusts the level curve to be the same amount of time to hit max level regardless of the current cap. So if the base game max level is 50 and it takes X hours, it will take X hours to hit 80 when that is the cap. This is usually done by essentially allowing you to go turbo mode into current content where it slows down big time to let you experience it.

The reason they do it is pretty much exactly what you said, to allow new or old returning players to catch up reasonably well without playing for 16 hours a day, and to let people level alts pretty quickly since they've already seen the content.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  8. SaintBardlington New Member

Ugh. Yeah. That's what I feared. So basically no point in starting there since I didn't ride that bonus exp wave in EoF.

Thanks!
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  9. Milksteak New Member

Honestly no, I wouldn't bother starting here until they figure something out with xp rates. Not sure why they moved the bonus to an xpac that only covers a small percentage of the level range (assuming that is what happened). It is probably on automatic to move to the current xpac, and the lack of any sort of response here indicates to me that it is unlikely to change.

It is a shame too, I was hoping to see some post EoF xpacs, that is the last one I played on the original release but I'm not going to grind out xp at .1% a kill to do it.
  10. Kalika Well-Known Member

See my port here about that ...
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...y-the-management-will-understand-that.585377/
  11. Milksteak New Member

Yep, well stated Kalika. It really is sort of mind boggling why they'd allow super turbo xp mode in DoF/KoS, sorta decent level speed in EoF and then completely nuke it into the ground while simultaneously increasing the level and AA cap in Kunark. It seems like they have it backwards to me. Oh well, I guess those of us who tried to start on FG recently will just have to wait for the next TLE.
  12. Malachy Well-Known Member

I wish they felt the urgency the players did about issues like this. Launch and RoK are the two stepping on points for EQ2 progression servers. They're really making a terrible mistake with what could be very quickly and easily remedied.
  13. Milksteak New Member

I feel the same way. I have been checking in a few times a day to see if one of the 4 or 5 threads in this forum or the main one regarding exp rates on FG had a dev response, but there hasn't been a peep. There is a reason every game out there makes leveling faster over time (including the original EQ and EQ2). They've made it slower here by dramatic amounts over the last 2 expansions. There is absolutely no point in starting a new character on FG at this point, and if you weren't basically max level in EoF there really isn't a point in trying to catch up either. I think unfortunately with the reduced staffing recently it will be awhile before it is addressed but by then it will likely be too late. I know that I personally haven't logged in at all since the Kunark launch, and although I haven't canceled my sub I probably will by the start of next week if they haven't even announced some sort of change. Regardless of where you sit on the question of exp rates, I think it is a pretty safe bet any sane person would agree it is not right that levels 30-40 or 40-50 are taking longer than 70-80 (by a lot).
  14. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

The best xp before level 60 (being carried through karnor's) is mentoring down to level 20 and killing the ^^^ giants out in timorous deep.
  15. Gazorpjp New Member

I guess i just came back to the game on fallen gate at the worst time ever. I got only 1 hour of the double xp weekend bonus. Made it to bb mountains at lvl 20 and found out myself that there was bonus xp in EoF zones(no one in the guild i joined even told me that and i slogged through classic zones for 1-20. The next day RoK came out and the bonus xo was gone. 20-30 wasn’t too bad because i was able to find plenty groups still.

However i’m now lvl 33 and oh man is it terrible leveling up now. Even with an 100% xp pot and killing oranges 5 levels above me i only get .5/.6% a kill. It isn’t even worth using an xp pot. Btw that is all solo because i cant find groups anymore jn the 30s.

Look, if the lvl cap was 50 Id be fine with the xp rates, however the cap is now 80 and as it stands it doesn’t seem like ill be able to reasonably reach the lvl cap of 80.

I’m out and going back to live.
    Kalika likes this.
  16. Kalika Well-Known Member

They just do the exact opposite of what have to be done to maintain a happy base of player (should i emphasize that TLE is not free to play). They would sell way more xp pot if leveling was at the EoF rate, people will pay to get to around 60-65 twice faster.
  17. Xiao Member

If anyone wants me to mentor them in tim deep at level 20 let me know; I'd like to give it a try

Contact Elzonthor in game
  18. Xiao Member

The giants that are 24-27 in tim deep are good xp but the room is small. 5x more xp than anywhere else in game. It is so sad to have to go there mentored from upper 50's lower 60's.
  19. Xiao Member

It's decent xp but its not a good rate because of the limited number of mobs
  20. Milksteak New Member

My membership was due on the 12th but I just went ahead and canceled. I think the only thing more frustrating than killing a level 70 mob at lvl 63 with vitality and seeing your xp move 0.1% is the complete lack of any dev response on the multiple threads here. It only takes a few seconds to say "we're looking into it" and make people feel heard and somewhat valued as customers, but apparently even that is too much to ask at this point.
    Xiao and Kalika like this.