Threat/Agro Question

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-Queaden, Nov 22, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Queaden Guest

I have a bit of experience playing a tank in both EQlive and WoW - so not totally new to this, but I do have a question...
    Was grouping yesterday and lost agro/threat a couple of times - often it was to either the dirge in the group or a conjuror pet. I could sometimes get agro back off the dirge, but the conjuror pet would hold it solid.
    Do those pets have an agro ability/taunt that locks in their threat pretty solid? I didn't want to assume anything.
    Any general hints on holding threat on mobs would be most appreciated. I'm dual-wielding now - currently I'm an AGI spec, for soloing - but I was going to change that up and get an AA mirror so I can flip them out (solo vs. group spec).
    Still new to EQ2 a bit and tanking in here, but I want to form good habits - so really you can look at this outside of level restrictions.
    Duel Wielding Berserker at the moment too - not opposed to playing Guardian, but it seems - from what I gather, that a well played and geared Berserker would do just fine in normal dungeon crawling groups, etc.
    I use the taunt spells I have pretty liberally as well, raging blow/mock (think those are right) - bascially I try to keep whatever generates threat on cooldown most of the time.
    Pulling I do situationally, is there any particular good spell to use first? I found that body slam gives me a second to build up a bit more threat along with Bloodbath...
    Even a link to a good blog would work, etc.. :)
  2. ARCHIVED-GeminiStar Guest

Losing agro with a dirge in group?
    Has to either be a very good dirge, no hate buff on tank, or a bad gear/AA/skill/DPS tank.

Are your skills master? What do you parse? What gear do you use?
  3. ARCHIVED-Queaden Guest

GeminiStar wrote:
    Well, I'm still only in the mid-20's that may factor into it significantly and the dirge was mentoring down - suppose that's important, huh? :)
  4. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Ya mentoring doesnt really work that way. High level toons that mentor down are grossly OP for the content. They should really adjust mentoring so it makes the toon less OP, but people will cry and moan when they do.
  5. ARCHIVED-Bruener Guest

Gungo@Crushbone wrote:
    And people simply wouldn't mentor which would mean less people to help level new players.
  6. ARCHIVED-Pattywak Guest

When you have anyone mentoring, just let them tank, it's simpler that way.
    You only get agro back from teh dirge when he drops agro, I'm sure.
    wait until you get closer to 80-85 and have AAs and your Epic Repercussions done to worry about tanking for a group.
  7. ARCHIVED-bellemort Guest

Ferk@Butcherblock wrote:
    Month old topic...but I can't help it. This is why noone can tank at end game. Your supposed to learn how to play your class going up through the levels, tanking, healing, dps, etc. The fact that noone can play their class worth a crap when they hit end game is a result in part, to this very idea, wait until your at endgame before you bother with a group. That and the fact that you can solo to endgame in a week or less with no bonuses.