This expansion and its difficulty is not fun anymore

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Altho, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Erin Member

I've made a full set of MC gear for several returning players to make the sig line less painful. The solo zones are not easy with the gear from the box. MC gear helps... some. It shouldn't be as difficult as it is to get through a few solo zones during the sig quest. And yet it is, I've seen a number of casual players just stop logging in after a few days. It's not hard if you played previous xpacs and have stuff from the fine list someone posted, but a returning player or new player doesn't have that and the box gear alone isn't enough. It's doable, with enough perseverence or a helping hand, not saying it's impossible, but it's too hard and turns them off very quickly. IMHO and anecdotally from what I've seen.
    Splint, Twyla and Dude like this.
  2. DENSER Well-Known Member

anyway it's always the same story .
    Too easy, blue runes for the new ones while the old ones had to work hard.
    Or too hard etc..
    The game is so old that undoubtedly it cannot be for new players. And if that were the case there would be promotion, publicity made to attract them. Who is at the stage of nothingness.
    Brief , It's just a cash grab with those who have been around and hooked for ages. Recent changes prove it
  3. Almee Well-Known Member

I haven't read all the comments but I've read enough to be grateful I haven't started RoR content yet.
    Lateana likes this.
  4. Almee Well-Known Member

Speaking of hands getting tired and sore from playing, I just leveled up a character from 120 to 123, so I could do the PoM TS sig line, and I was in agony the whole time. Because DP saw fit to do the merge to AB, during two festivals, I had to double up crafting, in the Moonlight festival, instead of doing it during two days. I also had to run all my characters through the Bog Mountain quest for Brew Day so I could buy the things I needed to decorate.

I hope RoR isn't as crazy as VoV, for the beginning quests. I felt like I was playing an arcade game.

They need to decrease aggro, in beginning areas, for all us veteran players so we can at least keep up with leveling. Subsequent areas can be as crazy aggro as they want, but they can't expect us to rush through festivals and then be able to play arcade-style to level up. As others have said, there is a life, outside this game, and right now DP is pushing us to the brink with back-to-back, two-week festivals on top of daily tasks, harvesting, decorating, and trying to level.

They need to calm down aggro in the beginning areas, increase festivals to three weeks (yes, they will overlap but we have our favorites we will do first), decrease all the daily maintenance work (adorns, missions, levelling items, etc), make more festival items purchasable without special coin, and increase Moonlight Enchantment to 3 days.
  5. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

I feel that the experience of simply stepping into RoR and getting started on the signature quest line using the free gear, mount, merc and stuff can vary massively depending on one's class and AA choices alone. When I got started on RoR as a relatively defensive paladin with no flawless buffs, maxed out mounts or mercenary battalion buffs, a level 1 familiar, really just the bare minimum, I basically squished all the overland mobs in a single hit or two, managed to get on perfectly fine for a while, then struggled with some of the dungeon bosses for a bit until they've been re-tuned.

My partner just got to RoR after completing the storylines of RoS and VoV, she's playing a beastlord, and she's getting utterly eradicated by the generic trash mobs in the first RoR zone. She wouldn't last ten seconds without a healer merc, and even with the werebear inquisitor by her side, she's struggling. It's entirely possible that she just went for spectacularly bad AAs or maybe I really lucked out on my AA choices, maybe paladins are exceptionally strong this expansion or something, I genuinely don't know. Thing is, when I first got to RoR, I was a bit disappointed with how boring and trivial everything was outside of some dungeons. Meanwhile, she is completely frustrated, because it's too difficult.

Of course there could be various factors at play here. Quality of AA specs, player skill level, rotation, optimization, how classes perform solo in certain situations, possibly other things I'm not even thinking of right now. I just find it noteworthy how drastically the experience can vary from one player to another.
    Raeven likes this.
  6. Sleppen Active Member

She needs to check all of her gear and equipment. Something is missing. I've played the outdoor areas in RoR with several different classes, and none of them get eradicated by the yard trash. However . . . the familiar for one of my characters got unsummoned, probably during the Chronoportal event. He could barely kill a coyote, and this came after finishing the signature quest and all of the music box quests. I was mystified by it, until I found a post where someone had a similar issue. Sure enough, my familiar was not summoned.

I bet that she has a similar problem, whether it be the wrong equipment, an unsummoned familiar, or whatever.

And yes, this is a fairly boring expansion. It has its moments, and it's visually striking in places. Generally, though, it feels uninspired.
    Berserkerkitten likes this.
  7. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll go have a look the next time she's playing. There's so much stuff now, familiar, merc, mount, peacock, you're probably right and one of those went missing along the way.
    Andric likes this.