Things I Wish I'd Known Earlier

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Lodrelhai, Feb 23, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Nahlis Guest

I believe the game now defaults to have all bags open/close simply by pressing 'B'. No macro needed anymore, it's now built right in.
  2. ARCHIVED-deKoven Guest

Korsh@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    This is quite true; press 'B' to open your bags. And when you're in the bank, pressing Shift-B will open all the bags and boxes in the bank slots.

3. ARCHIVED-hortefoutre Guest

Yes and you can customize those bindings using options/interface/windows.
  4. ARCHIVED-NANEEJE Guest

5. ARCHIVED-Lodrelhai Guest

Sorry for delays folks - I have my new computer running, I've salvaged everything off my old one, I'm home for the forseeable future, and I've managed to test the stuff for the new update in-game. However, every time I try to edit the TIWIKE, I get an error that my post exceeds the limit (20,480 characters). OpenOffice says the document is only 18K characters, and I can't believe that the formatting adds another 2K to that, so not sure what's going on. Still working on getting the posts down to size, and hopefully I'll have it up shortly!
  6. ARCHIVED-Lodrelhai Guest

Rise of Kunark updates in place!

All the ones I know about at least. There's a couple things I didn't get a chance to check thoroughly - I'll be following up on those over the next few weeks.

Also, with the "Out and About in the World" section, I could not get the update tags too take. There were just too many, and the boards were balking at the number of characters those tags add. But the information for how to get to Kunark is there, I promise!

Enjoy the new expansion folks!
  7. ARCHIVED-Paladin776 Guest

A couple of things I noticed that need a bit of changing or clarification.
    6. Harvesting

* If you can't harvest something, your skill is not high enough. Right-click and examine the harvest node to find out the minimum skill level required to harvest it and your current skill level.

This information will also show up in your chat window, to include what harvesting skill is needed and how much skill you'll need.

Crafting/Harvesting
    The crafting window changed for GU 40/ROK. Your counters are now in hotkey slots on the crafting window (there are 6) and can be used from the keyboard as well.
    Tradeskill harvestables and fuels now can now be stacked to 200 per stack, relieving a lot of room in your bank for those that enjoy tradeskilling.

Adventuring
    I found two more hunter/slayer/destroyer mobs today in Kunark. You can now earn those titles for Drachnids and Drolvarg (and possibly others, as well). Also, I don't recall it being mentioned (though it may have been), but you can check your H/S/D status by clicking a sign on lamposts/trees in all the starter cities.
  8. ARCHIVED-Lodrelhai Guest

Thanks for the hunter titles! I know frogloks are a new one too, and I believe there's one more. Likewise pointing out the harvest attempt will also tell the required level. Both are very helpful.

The TS UI change is already there, where it talks about event counters, and I've never bothered to mention how much a stack of harvests was in the first place, so didn't see a reason to say it had changed. Most people harvest until either their bags are full or they have what they need for what they're crafting anyway, and I doubt that'll change, regardless of stack sizes. But thanks for pointing them out.
  9. ARCHIVED-DrkVsr Guest

Anyone have the location of the Slayer Post in Neriak? Ah've found the ones in FP/Q/K
    You can now get credit for making froglegs out of fresh frogloks? Wow, that would make them the only player race you can 'hunt' (fae/arasai don't count, they are more 'bug' than 'race' :p)
    Nice post-count there Dylara (666)
  10. ARCHIVED-Lodrelhai Guest

Updated again! Minor changes for the most part, nothing too big. Some of the updates are in sections 14-17, but any time I tried to add the update tags to that post, I got an over-limit message. I think next time I'm going to cut the list of L&L creatures and just provide a link to the wiki's list of L&L books. Anyone have suggestions, missing info, comments, post here and let me know!
  11. ARCHIVED-DamianTV Guest

Tinkering and Transmuting:
    Everyone seems to know that Tinkering and Transmuting can be picked up on the Butcherblock Docks. Everyone tells you that. What they dont tell you is when you get there you need to buy your skills because they will NOT be available to you by default like every other tradeskill is. What else is Recipe's are Blueprints for Tinkerers, and Transmuters start off with Enigma of the Transmuter. So lets break it apart really quick:
    --------
    To start Tinkering, once you have at least your first recipe (Blueprints) and your skills, head to the nearest Work Bench. I usually recommend doing an EDIT on your Recipe List and rename it to Tinkering, then in the skills category, select Tinkering, and save that Recipe Filter. This is uesful if you are a Jeweler because it is the same work station. Then its just like every other craft. Buy your fuel and get the items you need, and craft away.
    Also worth mentioning is the fact that you do NOT have to fully create each item to get a chance at skill points. I believe there is a FLOOR to the percentage that you get a skillup. So even if you are 375/400 Tinkering in your skill, and craft a Lvl 1 Grey Item, you still have a 25% chance to get a skill point increase. This is worth mentionong because there are times certain tiers are cheaper than others. Cheap enough that if you can buy 1000 loam at 2c a piece, its better to do 4 times as many of those than to try to craft items closer to your level. This will save you a lot of gold. There is a drawback to this tho. If you craft a pristine item, you get more items returned to you. So if it takes 10 loam to craft one item, a pristine item will return more loams than a non pristine item. If you go the cheap way and can find loam for 2c in abundance, dont be afraid to hit the STOP button once your progress bar passes the first stage.
    --------------
    To start Transmuting, its a little different. I hope you have some serious coin saved up too. While at the Butcherblock Docks, get your first Enigma (thats your recipe) and your skills. Here's where it gets weird. You cant scribe these until you have at least 5 skill points in Transmuting. But how do you get started if you cant scribe these yet? Unlike the Tinkerer you get a new ability, which if you have an empty spot in your hotbar will autopop, but if you dont, hit K to bring up your skills list. You'll have a new ability there called Transmute. Might as well throw it in a hotbar cuz you'll be using it quite a bit. Now head to the nearest Broker and do an Advanced Search for Legendary, Attunable, and set the max level to 1. Any of the items that are found on the search results should be transmutable. Once you've bought the item, open your inventory, then click your Transmute button, then when you move your mouse over the Legendary Attunable Lvl 1 item, your cursor should turn BLUE meaning you CAN transmute that item. If your mouseover is RED, you cant. There are a lot of items you cant transmute, and there are going to be some that you just dont have enough skill points to transmute yet. Once you click on the desired item to transmute, you should be prompted, do you want to transmute. Obvious choice there. But the important thing is that once you transmute it you should get a skillup in Transmuting from one to two! Do that a couple more times until you get 5 skill points. Then you can scribe all your spells and skills. Then its off to the Jewelers Station / Work Bench where you will continue your career in Transmuting.
    Currently there is a maximum skill that can be reached from transmuting items which is around 100. After that you have to craft Adornments from your Enigma's recipe books. (Dont forget to search the broker for the Advanced Enigma's of the Transmuter on the Broker)
    Now theres a bit of a trick here since the items you need to craft your adornments are not easy to come by and require you to transmute many items to get them, it will eventually cost a large fortune to consume these in such great quantity. However, crafting Transmuter Adornments is like crafting Mastercrafted items, where if you FAIL, the RARE item is not consumed. That said what I suggest is when you first start to craft, everything in your recipe book will be VERY HARD. Thats actually a good thing for the time being.
    YOU WANT TO FAIL CRAFTING TRANSMUTER RECIPES AT FIRST.
    WHEN YOU FAIL, YOU DO NOT USE THE MORE DIFFICULT TRANSMUTED COMPONENT. Which save you a ton of money and a ton of work. When you competely fail and the quality hits ZERO, you have a chance to get a skill point up. At this level it will usually go up. This will consume the LESS DIFFICULT TRANSMUTED COMPONENT, but will still leave you with the more difficult one. I dont remember off the top of my head which is which but Im pretty sure that Lapis Lazuli Fragments are what is consumed, but fortunately those sell for pretty reasonable prices on the broker, so instead of buying legendary gear and transmuting it all, just buy it on the broker, if the price is right. So FAIL on purpose as much as possible until your skill gets high enough that you basically cant fail. Its a cheap way to start off a very expensive trade. My 2nd attempt at becoming a transmuter I got to 50/400 skill points with just under a couple gold! My first time thru was a nightmare and spent over 5 plat and ended up quitting with only 20 or so skill points. Trust me, you want to FAIL your crafting sessions. I'd rather blow 6c for a fuel component than 20 gold for one item for a chance at getting the resource I need, or to buy the same resource for 20 gold on the broker. Start at Failing, only then will you know how to succeed.
    Later, when you cant fail any more, you will want to succeed with the highest quality prices as possible because when you do you get the item you crafted as well as some of the materials you used returned to you. So if an item you craft takes 5 Lapis Lazuli Fragments, you can get 2 or 3 of those back.
    Also worth while to mention, is there is a FLOOR to the chance you have of getting a skillup. So even if you are 375/400 Transmuting skill and you craft a Lvl 1 item, you currently have a 25% chance of getting a skill point. It is more cost effective to craft Grey Recipes than to waste money on higher level non grey recipes.
    Best source of info I've found is on eq2.eqtraders.com
  12. ARCHIVED-Lodrelhai Guest

Editted for GU 43-44. Also added that tinkerers and transmuters need to buy their reaction arts.
  13. ARCHIVED-Nadain Guest

Do not know if this has been said or not but...
    Do not travel along roads in dangerous zones. The devs intentionally set very heavy patrols of group mobs along all the roads to kill players that use them. I guess they think its funny.
  14. ARCHIVED-Chondrichtheyia Guest

I just discovered that pressing the scroll wheel on the mouse is Autorun.
  15. ARCHIVED-Kulssin Guest

Chondrichtheyia wrote:
    Rocks don't it? Especially as a scout and you're sneaking around in a zone you have no business being in for your level! XD
  16. ARCHIVED-hortefoutre Guest

If you click on missing collection items with the broker window opened
    you will see how much the cost.

That way you can quickly check what completing a collection would cost you.
  17. ARCHIVED-Lodrelhai Guest

Huh. Didn't expect this to get unstickied less than a month after I last updated. Given it has been, perhaps I should stop updating. Any opinions?
  18. ARCHIVED-DwarvesRUs Guest

This is so useful for a new character, I can't understand at all why it was unstuck.
    /request re-sticky
  19. ARCHIVED-Nefania2 Guest

Jonna@Befallen wrote:
    Agreed. When I saw this, I was confused--wondered if it was that same thread but I wasn't sure what it was doing in the regular, non-stickied part of the forum. It was a big help to me back when I was starting out. Heck, I'm sure there's some great stuff in there I've forgotten during my 9 months away from the game.
    I second the re-sticky request!
  20. ARCHIVED-Shareana Guest