Things I needed to know to kill trash in Vul for Mage Epic 2.0

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Carynn, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Carynn Well-Known Member

I whined an unfortunate amount and thankfully got help for this "solo" zone, so I'd like to post here the help I received so others may find it. The trash in this zone will one-shot you if they get close.

My stats when I did the zone: 14K pot, 240 Resolve. Ascension spells levels 1-9 at apprentice, with only levinbolt at journeyman.

AAs
    Spec out your Dragon middle two lines with tens in all the heals/wards and the middle two of the third line. Get the undeath and potency cloak-looking thing.

Illusionist AA - get the convert power AA under heroic. This will keep you alive in the boss fight, since you have all those mana return spells.

Spells:
    It helps to have expert level spells in your roots/interrupts/mezzes.

Potions:
    Get a bunch of healing potions, but don't spend a ton of money on them. (Regen pots on HoF were going for 22p each, which is ridiculous. I spent a few gold on the twark health ones instead.)

Totem:
    Totem of the Deadly Sabertooth. Helps with kiting/avoiding being hit.

Gadget:
    Troll Snot-flicker. Slowdown snare. Not fantastic, but it does help.

Food and Drink:
    Buy a couple of mastercrafted foodstuffs that give you stat bonuses in the 500-range. (These were in the teen-plat range on HoF, so I only bought three hours worth.)

Wait Time:
    Wait until your ascension spells return every time, about three mins between kills.

Once I had the better, expert CA spells, I didn't have any trouble with the trash on my Illy. Two to three ascension spells while mimiced killed them. I had a much harder time on my Conjy as they don't have roots, they have slow-downs, and I spent a lot of time kiting. Mastered tank pet dies pretty quickly; usually by the time you get your first ascension off. It took three to four ascension spells to kill them on the Conjy.

FYI, the named in Vul is a long but easy on the Conjy. Send pet in, keep it healed, cast your ascension in between heals. The named doesn't hit very hard and if aggro shifts to you, you'll survive and be able to cast stoneskin. On Illy, I needed the Convert Power to survive.

If any of you did this zone with similar solo-geared stats/apprentice ascensions on other mage classes, feel free to add class-specific help to this thread. But please don't say the trash are a piece of cake. The cake is a lie.
  2. Dakisis New Member

best thing you can do is get you Resolve up, that zone is one heck of a gut check. but i heard they nerfed it and was much ezer than when i ran it. i started around that res but when i was around 340 res it was doable.
  3. Jrox Well-Known Member

As an Illy, stun, stifle, interrupt, root, mez, and nuke, not necessarily in this order, you will need to build a good rotation alternating your stuns/stifles/roots/mess with nukes. I did this with next t nothing in resolve gear. No special AA spec, I was still running with a mostly ToT AA spec and wielding the ToT Yekesha weapon. It wasn't cake but it wasn't terrible. I think challenging is the word I would use to best describe it, as I feel it should have been for an Epic weapon. ;)
  4. Baldzilla New Member

Run speed in combat purple adorment, Dooming Darkness and Ascension spells. The final named was fairly easy on Necro.
  5. Alphonsus Well-Known Member

I also used the Deceptive Discretion run speed rune. Did it on an Illy and Wiz, the wiz was no way near geared or had the resolve. Just run and ascension nuke, you'll never take a hit. That Sabertooth totem does not work in combat.
  6. Fairin Active Member

i'd suggest wearing some mit gear.. because tell me again why auto attack stats or ability mod (on armor) matter anymore?

you should easilly facetank the mobs with both caster self wards on - hell necros and warlocks could probably chain pull half the island with their self heals.

granted my wizard was in (nearly) full expert gear at the time (16k pot - no potency tithe cause alt 9mill hp 20k mit) only really had a chance to die when i accidently pulled the 5 at the entrance to the tower at the same time.

the adds are cake... if you're spec'd and geared right. its like the devs are telling you "stop being glass cannons" because its not really benefiting anyone AND you're not doing more dps by doing so.
  7. Melt Actually plays the game

Warlocks? Self heals?
  8. Jrox Well-Known Member

Could not disagree more.:( Sorry, not looking to start an argument, but when this content was new and I did it, my health and mitigation were shiat...DPS / Kiting got me through for the win when most other mages were finding it impossible. I have since done this on a conjy and it was cake. I would say the Enchanters most def had it the worst since at the time it dropped they were typically low on the end of DPS compared to other mages unless your skill was beast. In which case ignore as I am speaking to the more average players abilities I have seen amongst the enchanter class. [On HOF] Skiass holds highest DPS parse for an Illy I have seen and Mezzem for coercer [currently on a break]. If your within 10% of these guys of your respective class then your probably SYHRN, but it's true, the drop off after that in the enchanters is HUGE!
  9. Fairin Active Member

warlocks get a group heal akin to a troub, but it has some downtime. it will completely heal you for several seconds and restore your mana lord forbid if i remember it right off the bat i remade my warlock back into his non poisonous spreading wizzie ways and hes gonna stay rainin ice comets cause alts are dead. and i might as well enjoy the sound effects of fusion and ice comet...

theres a rather toxic mentality assuming utility classes do not equal dps classes so the vast majority don't even try

hell i know an enchanter that did not even know what mimic was. or bother getting fervor, or a laundry list of other things that just leaned more toward ineptitude,

and of course if you roll a glass cannon expect to be one shot. roll in to the epic 2.0 instance as a tank mage. and laugh.(alas thats what everyone suggests just not as bluntly)

my point i was trying to convey was the majority of people look at mit gear and go eww that doesnt help my dps.. but neither do auto attack, or the pittance of abilitymod on gear.. but one of those stats lets you take hits to the face like a champ, which happens more than you probably care to admit.