The Wonderful Story of EverQuest

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Mixxit, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Meirril Well-Known Member

Nevermind that I don't like the rewrite of the two origin stories of Everquest. Just because I think the altered wording actually changes the meaning of this story its close enough. (Really don't like the Elemental Deities being referred to as Gods of Power).

Placing the Xulous here...well if your going to believe that they came from Norrath (and our Norrath, not an alternate reality like EQ1 or EQNext) you have to put them in early, but this could be too early. Your also placing the banishing of Anasti'Sul here. Source please? Reasoning at least because I don't think we have anything that would firmly lead us to place this event in any timeline.

Most of the elven history your quoting here would happen thousands of years later. Also Inny would of needed to be in possession of the Ewer of Sul'Dae before it made its way to Ahkten Aken in order to create the Y'Dal (If that really happened) and then have the Ewer makes its way to the Pheonix King so he could use it in his misguided attempt to save his people from the Curse of Ro (Age of Monuments?).

Now the big monkey wrench. Mayong Mistmoor has the unique reputation of witnessing the First Brood...meaning he watched as Veeshan struck Norrath and planted her first clutch of eggs. Mayong is older than the Dragons. So, Mayong older than dragons means the Y'Dal are created before any of the gods place races on Norrath. How does Mayong get to Norrath? Nobody knows. Time travel? Also this places Anashti's Banishment as a pre-Norrath event! Why? Because Inny has the Ewer to help him create the Y'Dal. So the first elf-like race is...Innys creation. This makes my stomach hurt.

Mayong is known to lie, but with so much Y'Dal stuff appearing in the LP dungeons...its either a very elaborate lie or an inconvenient truth.
  2. Meirril Well-Known Member

I'll tackle another page later. It is very obvious to me that this is a labor of love, and a heck of a lot of work. I really don't enjoy tearing into it, but I also don't enjoy the idea that if someone doesn't that people will take this as accurate. Simply speaking, the various stories written that make up Norrath's history aren't meant to be strung together like real history. The lack of dates was done very much on purpose so you couldn't do this because the different stories were authored by a variety of people that didn't sit down and make sure it all worked together, they wrote them to be entertaining and to make internal logic. That within a single source they would all jive. When compared against everything else.. you start to see just how fractured all of it become. Eventually you get the idea that some of it has to be wrong because it can't all be right.

Kinda like how the Xulous stuff needs to be kept in its own box. It is a great story, but if its true then a lot of other things don't make sense. Like how Dragons underestimate the "lesser" races. If there was a race that had great success at slaying dragons then why don't the Dragons take these other similar races seriously? According to Norrath's history (ignoring the Xulous) the only two races to go to war with the Dragons are the Giants of Kael and the Iskar. The Claws of Veeshan played an almost entirely defensive war against the Giants and with very few defenders managed to keep them from making any significant headway towards the Western Wastes for thousands of years. The only ground they did lose was the Great Divide and the Eastern Wastes. Most of the dragons lost by the CoV was the patrols sent to the Great Divide.
    Even with the Giants occupying the Eastern Wastes they didn't dare to invade the Sleeper's Tomb...or they did and were defeated.

The Iksar were only able to kill a few of the Ring of Scale, and the few younger dragons that defied orders not to attack managed to crush the entire Sebilisian Empire and sack their various cities. Old Sebilis was the lair of Trakanon until he took over as head of the Ring of Scale. If a few dragons can bring an entire continent spanning empire to its knees, you can understand why they don't think much of us "lesser races". Giants they give some grudging respect to. If they had Xulous to remember they would probably think exterminating the "lesser races" was the only safe thing to do.
  3. Mixxit Active Member

Two reasons for this: the first reasoning I came up with this was Xul'Varien- Anashti'Sul was not aware of Bertoxxulous until the point that we do her deity quest - So I needed her and her enemy Xul'Varien to have been gone by the time the Xulous give birth to Xul'Varien's replacement, Bertoxxulous. Second reason is that the tales of maj'dul states that when the first followers of anashti'sul were founded it they were 'on the shadows of a non-existent power' - I always took that as a non-existing power as being the remnents of anashti'sul (her fountain of life etc)

Some other quotes:
    Phar’Ahkt 'She was lost to existence. It was not until she graced the Godking with her ancient words that she would be revealed to us, the chosen' (read this as when they discovered the fountain of life they became aware of her ancient words)

Lect’Zadh 'Long ago did he discover her lost shrine within the Elddar Empire. Through her forgotten words he rose from the ranks of the Elddar Empire and cast free the Dal religions'

Personally I don't see a problem with Innoruuk using the Ewer where it stood in Ahkten Aken and I needed the Ydal to be around before he took the elves from Takish'Hiz

I took that quote ('In fact, he’s said to have seen the first of Veeshan’s brood on Norrath') to mean he was around to see the first brood but the first brood could have been there for quite a long time
  4. Rotherian Well-Known Member

One more thing I noticed. In your history, it says that Inny created the Ydal, then took them to the Plane of Hate, while the following seems to indicate that they were created within the Plane of Hate:

[IMG]
  5. Meirril Well-Known Member

There is a lot of the first brood around still. Basically every zone we've seen where I knew there was a fist brood dragon in EQ1 it is still alive in EQ2 (even if the Sleeper killed all of them when he awoke). We haven't seen the ones from the Temple of Veeshan or Zlandacar yet but there are good indications that we'll find out for sure very soon what happened to them.

Again, what makes Mayong special is that he pre-dates the dragons.
  6. Mixxit Active Member

Thanks I'll change that to match

I've got a terrible feeling zlandicar is somehow involved with colbalt scar!
  7. Meirril Well-Known Member

Ok, time to tackle another page. Fist paragraph more Xulous stuff. I've already said why I object to this and the reason hasn't changed. A second point is that you giving a very detailed and overly long explanation of the Xulous when you also gave thousands of years of elven history a single paragraph. White washing one races history and dragging out a footnote that might of taken a grand total of a few hundred years... way too heavily playing favorites with the Xulous.

Trying to place Cazic Thule's entry into Norrath after other events is misleading. Yes, he was in the second covenant, but that still happens very early in Norrath's history. Way, way way before Bertoxxulous rose (which I still contend happened sometime near the beginning of EQ1). Also Cazic wasn't a new god. The Amagalyians are native to the Plane of Fear and older than Norrath. The Lizardmen, Trolls, Iksar and Shisshar were all created at about the same time. That whole business of a second (and third) surviving population of Shissar is all EQ1 history and doesn't belong in EQ2 unless the dev's here decide to add it. If your making a unified history of Norrath I certainly don't see enough refrences to SoE's less popular EQ franchise games here. Also, I really don't believe in the Unified History idea. Mixxing the different EQ stories doesn't make any of them stronger (especially the parts where you have to say Cazic Thule died here (EQ1) and Cazic Thule did more stuff here (EQ2) later).

When the Marr Twins came to Norrath they didn't have their own sphere of Influence. Part of the reason they went to Norrath was so they could develop this. Mithanial learned nobility from the Elves and Erollisi learned about love from them. You should also mention the (really creepy) birth of the Barbarian race in the same breath as the Froglock as both races were conceived in the same night.

Why the splitting of the Iksar story from the Shissar story? It makes it seem this happened after the Marr Twin story when really...they don't have anything to do with each other. Just to make it sound like there is a passage of time? If that is the case maybe it should be placed near events that happened at about the same time (which I don't believe it is). Especially considering that the Marr Twins should be much later than other events that we're talking about here. This event should happen close to the Cures of Ro as the Barbarians didn't have enough time to expand into central Tunaria before the Elves abandoned it.

I'm not a huge expert on Kunark lore but Veniril didn't start seeking immortality until his wife died. After that he made a deal with Inny and that is when he gained the knowledge of how to become a lich.

This whole passage on the First Rallosian Army just isn't written well. This would of happened during the Age of Monuments. Minotaurs aren't mentioned in the first telling of this story, but I believe they are mentioned in some of the EQ2 lore in Steamfront. The Rallosian Army was said to conquer but what they conquered isn't specifically mentioned. Considering everything they should of conquered the Elves but Elvish history makes no mention of this. Similaraly Tier'dal history does mention them negotiating with the Rallosian Army and successfully delaying long enough for the Rallosians to be defeated by the Rathe Curse. If your going to mention Lake Rathetear you might as well mention that a mountain was created on the spot where each of the Rathe were executed and this became the Rathe Mountain range. Also detailing out what the curse did to each race would of been good. It wasn't the slaying of Ogres that caused the Rallosian Empire to collapse, but the Curse which made the entire Ogre race stupid that did it. I actually don't remember any mention of Ogres being executed. That curse was lifted after the gods withdrew their powers from Norrath, which lead to the Second Rallosian Army.
  8. Rezikai Member

I think he's getting some of the mention of the 1st Rallosian Army and Teir'dal negotiating from the old Captain K'Ven story. Which is one of the better written stories dealing with Teir'Dal history. It talks of the 1st Rallosian army laying siege to Takish'Hiz's gates but never having enough to punch through until Captain K'Ven (a Teir'Dal mercenary commander in the 1st Rallosian army) schemed a way in. It says the Curse hit during the siege of Takish Hiz like it hits in a few days while the old Beta lore (first fist of light) talks about the curse hitting over time when newborn baby ogres were born stupid and the elder smarter ogres eventually died out
  9. Innania Member

I'd also like to point out that there are indications in EQ1 that Venril's Book of Shadowspine may have been created by Mayong, and used to drain the powers of Venril himself as well as Emperor Draygun of the Shilliskin in order for him to gain enough power to become a god. Again, in EQ1.
  10. Mixxit Active Member

I think this is unfair really I didn't white wash the elven history I just had a timeline that didn't have many major events for them up to that point. The reason I had to split the Xulous story into two was because of Xul'Varien and Anashti'Sul leaving. There is such a tremendously long line of Xulous antonican kings mentioned in the lore that I had to give them plenty of time to be established before the bertoxxulous event and this seemed the perfect position for it

I used the word meanwhile to describe cazic's arrival as happening around the same time - based on eq2's lizardmen lore he mentions much of his discussions with other gods that were around playing and creating other races and he wanted to get involved in it - i knew i had to have the shissar come around pretty shortly and for that cazic's arrival would be necessary

I had to have the frogloks in place before the point that the frogloks were used by atrebe to create the sokokar. I'm sorry if it comes across as the same night though, there are vast amount of years - this is a just a general chronological order that can be derived from reading the lore and putting the pieces in place where they need to be for things to work correctly. This is why the shissar and iksar lore has the froglok creation lore going on in between it

I haven't seen a quote to say that he sought immortality after his wife died but if you have it please post :) It always seemed that it was hinting that the reason his wife suddenly and mysteriously died was because of the dark pact he made

I'm sorry if it's not written well i'm not that great of a writer sadly :( Yep the minotaur curse is mentioned in eq2 lore - As for the detail on the mountain being created I guess there is quite a lot of extra info I could have gone into but I just at the time felt like going onto the next piece
  11. Meirril Well-Known Member

Source is from the Charsis zones. Specifically Maiden's Chamber I believe. It has been a long time since I've done that content, so it might be Vault of Eternal Sleep. Some of the in-zone text mentions Veniril mourning for his wife, entombing her and then seeking a way to cheat death.

If your writing the history for EQ2 players mentioning the Rathe Mountain creation story may not be vital since we can't visit the mountain range anyways. But mentioning the lake is even more pointless since the mountains still exist as a series of unscalable islands, while the lake and coliseum were swallowed by the ocean.
    More importantly you had an opportunity to foreshadow the rise of the Second Rallosian Army. The Curse of the Rathe kept the Ogre race docile. Sure they were individually violent and war-like but they weren't capable of running an army. After the curse broke and with the Avatar of War's guidance the Ogres by themselves almost conquered all of Antonica from Freeport to Qeynos.
    Which honestly doesn't matter if your target audience aren't the EQ2 players. I'm not sure who your writing this for, if it is suppose to be a "Unified History" kinda work or a piece intended for the general Everquest enthusiast. I know Mixxit likes to refrence lore pieces from EQ1 (current EQ1, not just the two games shared history), so it makes me wonder what this is intended to be?
  12. Mixxit Active Member

it's for all the everquest games
  13. Emissary Vex Active Member

Um, no he does not? What made you think that?
  14. Innania Member

Mayong says he does, although that doesn't make it true. He claims to be the oldest being on Norrath.

He's always hated the Dragons, and created the Drachnids to spy on the Ring of Scale on Kunark. He and Tserinna built the Tower of Frozen Shadow to be able to easier spy on the dragons on Velious.

Heck, most kills in Veeshan's Peak in EQ1 raise the Mayong faction.
  15. Meirril Well-Known Member

Like Innania says, Mayong claims to be older than the dragons. He claims a lot of things. Much like the Ydal being his race that pre-dates elves, it isn't possible to verify that all of this isn't an elaborate hoax fostered by Mayong himself. And yet, if you take him at face value it also makes sense that Mayong's closest ally amongst the gods would be Inny even though Mayong himself dislikes Inny. All of that makes sense if the Ydal story is real. A lot of people take it to be so.
  16. Mixxit Active Member

You got the npc text for that or the fight? I scanned all my eq2 logs but couldn't see him say anything but fools i was a god once
  17. Mixxit Active Member

Where is this npc text? I have the npc chat logs from MSIS and TONT but not anywhere else so maybe I'm missing it - can you confirm where you read this?
  18. Emissary Vex Active Member

Oh ok; so I honestly didn't know about Mistmoore being a Ydal. There is tons of lore on him and it isn't included in any of them.

They released this Origin story when the underfoot expansion but they took it down (I found a link to it via the "wayback machine" website.) http://web.archive.org/web/20090717095805/http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/news_article.vm?id=51541

I had also read this lore on the wiki which presumed he was an elder elf. http://everquestlore.wikia.com/wiki/Mayong_Mistmoore

I also found an archived thread on him here https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/the-mayong-origin-problem.502230/

The most interesting this to me is this lore posted by an EQ1 dev.

EQ 1 Lore Dev
    'He's older than any of the common player races. In fact, he's said to have seen the first of Veeshan's brood on Norrath. Perhaps something occurred in those days that fueled his hatred of dragon kind . .

I find this information exciting because it could possibly explain who built the spires; if the Ydal escaped the Plane of Hate and found Norrath before Veeshan did.
  19. suka Well-Known Member

looks to me like you put in a whole lot of work. when everyone is through revising it, will you please let me know? i would like to copy the finished version into a player made book and put you as the writer for my guild hall. of course, i do want a correct version of it, but i appreciate the time and work you put in to get it out here to us.
    thanks much
  20. Mixxit Active Member

The lore dev quote doesn't say preceeds just that he was around at the time of the first brood (so very early) - there is more lore on Mistmoore and his sad story with Zanne in the plane of hate in the book Eternal Bloom that talks about the flaw of their race http://loreofnorrath.wordpress.com/2011/11/10/eternal-bloom/ and his inevitable loss of her due to the inward fighting of the houses of Ydal