The (Updated) History of Norrath

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-troodon311, Jan 16, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Dreadfiend Guest

Yes, Corinav was the avatar of the Triumvurate of Water: Prexus, Povar, E'ci and Tarew Marr. Prexus did create the Kedge race as well, so there is more than one elemental god who created a race.

Edit: added Povar to list
    Message Edited by Dreadfiend on 03-19-200602:55 AM
  2. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Prexus was the god of the Oceans, not a god of water. He was created by Tarew Marr, who is an elemental god of water, so Prexus isn't an Elemental god.

PS. TRIUMVERATE means a ruling party of three. Povar = Vapor, E'Ci = Ice, Tarew Marr = Water. Thats why it's called a TRI-umvirate.
    Message Edited by Cusashorn on 03-19-200601:33 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-Arthais Guest

Prexus was not part of the triumvirate, especially since triumvirate means rule of three (hence the tri).
    The triumvirate were Povar, E'ci, and Tarew Marr, which represented the three stages of water, which is evidenced by a respelling of their names....vapor, ice, and water, respectivly.
    Prexus was the god of the OCEANS, and was not an elemental god.
  4. ARCHIVED-Vhalen Guest

Prexus is part of a number of gods that would be known as the Gods of Nature. The Gods of Nature and the Gods of Influence both exist on the same tier within the hierarchy of the planar realms.
    The aviaks were created for more realms than Norrath. They exist on other realms, planar and terrestrial. Many of the other races we see on Norrath are the children of gods placed specifically for Norrath.
  5. ARCHIVED-troodon311 Guest

Now that's interesting
  6. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

They were created by Xegony after all.
  7. ARCHIVED-Kindayr Guest

Alright I see, he is Prexus the Oceanlord, should have looked at his title first (>.<)

Who are all the Gods of Nature? I'm taking a wild guess on this, but would it be Tunare, Brell, and Prexus?
  8. ARCHIVED-Hirebrand Guest

Don't forget Karana.
  9. ARCHIVED-Jindrack Guest

Here take this! I stole this from out of Vhalen's library! Don't tell him where you got it!

Planes of Nature:
    Sky
    Storms
    Flame
    Disease
    Underfoot
    Growth
    Ocean
    Health

Planes of Influence:
    Love
    Valor
    War
    Justice
    Hate
    Fear
    Tranquility
    Mischief
  10. ARCHIVED-Eriol Guest

Where do Innovation, Nightmares, and Torment fit in? Are they only demi-planes? Considering many of us WENT there (and killed Gods there), some would like to know. ;)
  11. ARCHIVED-Brizzy Guest

Innovation is, at best, a demi plane. There were no gods to be found there. I prefer to think of it more as the invention of the most inventive minds of Norrath. (Which is pretty much true based on what I remember from EQ1 lore.)

Nightmare and Torment were both planes of demigods - Nightmare was the realm of Terris Thule, Cazic's daughter, and Saryrn was once a mortal who ascended.
  12. ARCHIVED-Saroc_Luclin Guest

IIRC, the Planeof Innovation was a plane that Zek created to have a workshop to build the Xenamech and other weapons of war. If you talk to the gnomes who infest that plane, you get an idea of the lore of the zone.

The Plane of Torture, (and probably the Plane of Rage) are Demiplanes created by Cazic and the Zek's as the playgrounds of some 'honored' mortals to let those Demiplanes respective leaders really flourish and show what they (Saryn Thule and Sullon Zek) are truely capable of.

Plane of Nightmares (and the unseen Plane of Dreams) are probably planes of Influence, thouhg they are sort've gray areas. Their leaders are IIRC offspring of a full god, and probably somewhere in between a fullblown plane and a demiplane, though the differences are likely trivial. Considering Morrel Thule and Terris Thule have both used their respective domains to influence mortal's minds, they would definitely be in the Realm of Influence.

In looking over the list the Dev game, it seems the Planes of Nature are the ones that have a physical presence. If a plane from that sphere of influence exerted it's power on Norrath you would see something physical happen (whether it be a Storm pounding the shore, plants taking over a rocky atoll or fires scorching a forest to charcoal and cinders).

The Planes of Influence however are less physical and more mental. These are the planes that exert their power on the minds of mortals to get results, whether it be making a dark elf hate a high elf, a frogluk fearing a troll, or spurring the two human cities to war against eachother.

Of course the real challenge is: What category do the Plane of Magic and the associated Plane of Music fall in? (I'm thinking the Natural Planes myself)
  13. ARCHIVED-Pyrrhx Guest

Of course the real challenge is: What category do the Plane of Magic and the associated Plane of Music fall in? (I'm thinking the Natural Planes myself)
    • Tricky...
      • The planes of Nature in general seem to be the physical derivative of Elemental Planes
      • The planes of Nature deal with control over naturally occuring phenomena
      • The planes of Influence in general seem to be a psychic derivative of Elemental Planes
      • The planes of Influence deal with swaying, directing, or controlling those who can be influenced
    • Magic:
      • Does not naturally occur. i.e. Requires sentience for causality (a caster in the case of spells; an enchanter in the case magically imbueing items without natural sentience...)
      • Magic itself is a psychic and physical manifestation of elemental power.
        • Because the most visible results of Magic involve a demonstration or perversion of some elemental or natural power we could assume Magic fits into Nature... but Magic also demonstrates the power of influence, namely through its ability to alter thought (think.. mez, charm, etc..)
        • Additionally, magic itself cannot generate results without being commanded to do so.
      • IMO, Magic exists as a Nexus for the Elemental planes, Natural planes, and Planes of Influence.
    would look like this: ^ (elem)
    * (Magic)
    (nat) ^ ^ (infl)

• Music:
      • Influence all the way.
        • Does not occur naturally
        • **music is sound, but sound is not music
        • Modality or key, tonality and pitch, harmony, rhythm, dynamic level, as well as expression by the player exerts influence over the human psyche.
        • Search Plato and the effect of varying Modes (..dorian.. ionian.. lydian.. myxolydian..) on the human mind
  14. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Lets put it in a perspective all of you can understand.

The Planes of Nature, are, at the most basic description, represents the physical and tangible elements that interact and influence the physical body.
    Plane of Innovation falls under the Planes of Nature because it represents the man-made (gnome) element of machines, technology, and pollution. It represents the artificial.
    The Plane of Magic most deffinitly quallifies as Nature, as it requires physical concentration to use it, and I don't have to go into detail how magic has influenced the development of everyday society among creatures and people everywhere. It may or may not occur naturally, but it's physical presence is seen everywhere.
    The Plane of Music would also fall under influence. You physically hear sounds and music. Music can be used to hurt or heal.

The Planes of Influence are the Intangible elements and concepts that influence the mind and emotions.

The Plane of Nightmare is most deffinitly a Plane of Influence.

Even though phsycal torture, sadism, and masochism falls under physical influences, I'm going to say that the Plane of Torment also falls under the Plane of Influence because the concept of torture can be both physical and mental, and the concept of pain and whether or not something hurts is a sub-concious choice the mind makes. You choose to feel the pain or not (if you have honed yourself above it's presence, that is.)

Love, Hate, War, Justice, Peace, Strategy, Tactics, etc etc. Those are all concepts of the mind. You might argue that when you think of war, you think of people killing each other, but its thier concious decision to kill each other.

Message Edited by Cusashorn on 03-20-200607:01 PM
  15. ARCHIVED-troodon311 Guest

Message Edited by troodon311 on 03-20-200605:13 PM
  16. ARCHIVED-Pipple Guest

I don't know if this has been said or not but the lore only matches up with EQL up to and including POP. It was said that after the events in POP (going through Time etc) that two parallel universes were created -- The EQL world and the EQ2 world. Granted the EQ2 world takes place 500 years later but it is in a parallel universe as well.

The reasoning was so that SOE didn't have to worry about keeping track of EQL lore and making it match up with EQ2. Also it was so they could do separate events and have things that happen in EQL not necessarily happen in EQ2.

Moorgard posted that a while back. I can't find the link though.
  17. ARCHIVED-TheWays Guest

Hahaha, 2 more months and this thread would have been a year old! You got better at necroposting! (21)
  18. ARCHIVED-troodon Guest

I don't think it counts as necroposting if the thread is stickied... or if it's my thread, for that matter :smileywink:
  19. ARCHIVED-SilverclawII Guest

As the player of a Vah Shir...<clears throat>...excuse me, Kerra...character the closest information I found conserning their creation comes from the in game book, "History of the Kerra."
    Of course the records could have been misintrepreted over the times and the meaning can be interpreted in many ways, but hey I'll take it. Can't remember the exact lines, but it's something about them once being stones that were formed by the waters and the wind.
    Considering what the first of the other races started as, this really shouldn't come as a surprise.
  20. ARCHIVED-Jethal_EqRangers Guest

The History of Norrath (click for mp3)
    - Parody of We didn't start the fire, by Billy Joel

1) Original EQ

Qeynos City, Dock and Sail, EverFrost's frozen hail

Karana's Plains, Class-Balance pains, Nagafen's Lair

Greater Faydark lookin fine, Dwarves hide out in their mines

Dark Elf Girls in Red Bikini's, Newbies stop and stare

*guitar*

Halfling's in Rivervale, Unrest's mobs lookin pale
    Druid's making lots of cash, for buffing and SOW
    Level cap starts to raise, drinking put us in a haze
    Vox in her frozen cave, puttin on a show

*Chorus*We didn't crash the server
    We were hunting and crafting
    then we Had to log back in
    We didn't crash the server

Too many Toons on

All trying to have fun

2) Ruins of Kunak
    Kunark with Iksar play, In Ill Omen every day

Firiona'Vie fending off OverThere Plots
    Forest Giants, hills of stone, Sarnaks are skin and bones
    WyrmSlayer, Epic Quests, Timorous FirePots
    Burning Woods, newb's can't find, it keeps moving, joking time
    Karnor's castle running trains, corpse runs are a ball
    Trakanon Warping round, Gorenaire hits the ground
    Kithicor and Dark Elf War, Innoruuk just kills them all!

Too many Toons on

All trying to have fun

3) Velious Velious' Frozen ice, snow and Griffons fill the skies
    Layered Quests Ring and Shawl, Sleeper wakes to kill us all
    Frosty Dwarves, Giant Town, Western Wastes, Velks slippin round
    Waking lands green with trees, Necropolis brings us to our knees
    Plane of Growth, Tunare is here, Elves (high and wood) cry and cheer
    Icebreaker skims the water, but very soon to disapear

Faction hunting, Armor Quests, Classes fighting Best of Best

Great Divide, Sparks a war, corpse lost in the Plane of Fear

Too many Toons on

All trying to have fun

4) Shadows of LuclinBrand new look, the Modles took,
    Things to Craft, Food to Cook

Horses for us to ride, Seru / Castellum chose your side

Nexus takes us here and there, the Deep is baren with no Air

Paludal with Bonus, Good, Maiden's Eye a lunar wood?
    Baz-zar Marketplace, Beastlord Class, VahShir Race
    Temple, Thal, Groves and Plains. Twilight Armor’s not worth the Pain.

Too many Toons on

All trying to have fun
    5) EQ2
    Sleeping for 500 Years, Luclin Shattered, Faydwer Tears

War breaks the furtile land, Qeynos holds the hope of man

Gods have turned their backs, let us fall through the cracks

Floods change lay of land, Freeport under Lucan's Hand

Black Burrow's grown and thrived, Deathfist Orcs have survived