The ultimate ranger fix

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Mithremakor, Mar 22, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Mithremakor Guest

I have a great idea for improving the ranger class. Why not make bows and arrows act like real bows and arrows?
    I bowhunt in real life and I can tell you that a real bow, even a simple long bow, should be able to kill out to 100 yards. At that range there is always a danger that the target will move as you shoot and you'll miss (arrow flight time at 100 yards is nearly a second for the fastest compound bows and about 3 seconds for a simple long bow).
    Extend our range and make bows with different arrow speeds to improve itemization. Make more advanced bows faster with heavier draw weights so they can shoot heavier arrows at higher speeds. That's how it really works.
    Arrows are totally ridiculous in-game. Field points are only for practice. They don't kill anything worth a damn. No warrior who ever lived would ever go to battle with anything but broadheads. Blunt tips are good for rabbits; shoot anything bigger with one and you'll only piss it off. Offer different types of broadheads such as mechanicals for speed and accuracy and fixed blade for penetrating armor better.
    I realize that Norrath isn't our world but real life physics could add a lot to the archery part of the game and even make 'balancing' easier for the devs. Maybe someone who works with ranger and bow mechanics should actually get a real bow and learn to shoot it. Hey, it's even fun!
  2. ARCHIVED-Ademelo Guest

I hate to say it, but I've been argueing the fact that field point arrows are completely useless on a "realistic" point of view for the last two years now. You will not get SoE to listen.
    As far as balancing us to where our dps should be...not likely this xpac either, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed - and playing an alt as a "secondary main" to keep me going.
  3. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

gah i'm just bitter

Ultimate ranger fix, boost ranged CA's enough so where overall we do comparable T1 DPS, and give us a boost in utility by say, upping how well the attack hawk works, and making the recast time much shorter so we can use it on faster fights that are quickly one after another.