The story of the new paladin..

Discussion in 'General Fighter Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Maveric_LOL, Aug 31, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Maveric_LOL Guest

This is the story of a guy who is totally new to the lands of norath, trying to understand the concepts of his profession and comparing how its supposed to work against how it actually works, its a story about theory vs practical application and nothing more . Read into it what you will.
    Trainer: yes, good morning can i help you?
    New Paladin: Yes, i just arrived here in New Halas, i tried to get into Qeynos but for some reason i was told they arent accepting any new people which is odd cause its like a massive city but its like empty except for some random kid that keeps asking me if i ever seen a gnoll before. Anyway, i have decided i want to be a paladin so i have come here for training. So...wut do i have to do...rescue some maidens from a gulch some place? Slay some nasty gnolls? What?
    Trainer: /sigh...sir...did you or did you not press the paladin button on your way in here..ok good.. you got the starter sword and the shield too...and the armor starter kit? Ok good. Then your already a paladin congratulations.
    New Paladin: odd...i dont feel...'Paladin-ish'...anyway now that im a paladin what cool new abilities do i get?
    Trainer: Well, Paladins excel in martial combat while employing divine magic to enhance their abilities and strike down their enemies. By invoking both protective and healing magic, the Paladin can often survive battles that would crumble those of lesser resolve..
    New Paladin: oh sweet so i can call on my god in battle and he will enhance my armor and protect me from all damage!
    Trainer: um well no, actually he wont enhance your armor..not even on a temporary basis...and actually will only protect you from SOME damage, not all.
    New Paladin: wait what, i just saw a demo over at the guardian trainer where the new guy put up a 'stoneskin', got charged by a warhorse the horse hit him and it looked like the horse had just run into a brick wall.
    Trainer: Oh a stoneskin, yeah you get one of those..
    New Paladin: sweet
    Trainer: but sometimes a enemy can strikethrough yours though so becareful..
    New Paladin: wait what, no one said anything about that?!? But that guardian guy...i mean im no expert, im just spitballing here...but im just thinking wouldent it be better to you know, avoid all the pain and maiming out right? I mean i am using holy powers from a freaking god here...why cant he just like protect me with his holy magic.
    Trainer: yeah i know, but your a crusader your acceptance of pain in battle strenghtens your resolve in your faith. That is why you dont prevent all damage but rather prevent some with your holy wards, and absorb the rest and then heal it.
    New Paladin: ok cool i guess thats why i have these massive heals then...but wait....what happens if i die when i get hit...then i cant heal tho right...i mean i have to actually survive the hit first to be able to heal dont I?
    Trainer: Always pray for divine favor before you enter battle, that way if your struck down you will be resurected by your faith.
    New Paladin: ohhhh well thats super cool then i guess and once im back on my feet i can like run away, or stand my ground and just start healing my self right away.
    Trainer: well.....actually....it always used to be that way...but for some reason recently thats not the case anymore...not sure why though no one told me why...
    New Paladin: well thats kinda lame, anyway at least i got these massive heals and this really cool holy ward to keep me alive though.
    Trainer: well actually....the gods were talking and they kinda felt your heals and wards were over powered so they scaled them back so now they are actually quite small.
    New Paladin: aww thats lame....well at least once i go kill a few bad guys maybe a dragon or two ill get some nice gear and just beef those right up.
    Trainer: um....well actually no...most of your gear will have little effect on your heals..
    New Paladin: but thas kinda lame how come everone elses gear is affecting ALL of everyone elses abilities but some most of my cool stuff isnt affecting mine?
    Trainer: its called balance, the gods dont want a paladin or shadowknight for that matter just running around like some unstopable juggernaut on the battlegrounds just smiting people while being totally unkillable.
    New Paladin: dude...seriously? I just saw them catapult a freaking giant boulder over there at that new guardian and the thing just shattered when it hit his tower of stone...
    Trainer: oh yeah you can do that too, here let me teach you this spell 'divine aura'...
    <10 miniutes later>
    New Paladin: Are you sure about this? Im not sure this is a good idea it looks like its gonna hurt
    Trainer: Dont worry you wont feel a thing, now stand still while i calibrate the catapult....ok...good....you ready? here goes!!
    <5 miniutes later>
    Trainer: whew your awake, thought we had lost you there for a while..
    New Paladin: what the hell was that thought that spell was supposed to stop that boulder!
    Trainer: oh well um, yeah my bad...as it turns out that boulder hit you for more than 50% of your maximum health..so in that case the spell doesent prevent any damage...again my bad i guess the boulder was too big...but it would work for little boulders...or you know..for other small stuff...just you know...only SOMETIMES for dragons and stuff.
    New Paladin: ah its ok i guess, ill just use one of my healing spells...what the...ok i cast my spell but my health diddent improve by any noticeable amount and i think...yep...leg still broken...ok i cast lay on hands im like half better now but my leg is still broke...and i cant seem to cast Lay on hands again...it keeps telling me not ready yet....are you sure this healing stuff actually works.
    Trainer: um yeah....its working as intended....
  2. ARCHIVED-souldnce9 Guest

3. ARCHIVED-Wasuna Guest

The story of a Guardian...
    Oh crap.. I can't keep agro.
    On crap.. Raid leader replaced me with somebody that can do 2x the DPS I can
    Oh crap.. All other plate tanks can mitigate damage just as good as I can.
    Oh crap... My wonderful stoneskin ability was used up in 2 seconds and now I really wish I was taking 10% less damage for the whole fight.
    Oh crap... I can't get a Heroic group cause I can't find a dirge and coercer.
    Oh crap... I sure wish I could solo stuff.. it would make my down time more fun to challenge myself with stuff like that.
    Oh crap... My short terms buffs don't do anything for me at all cause I'm already at the cap.
    On crap... The healer in the only Heroic group I have gotten this week went LD and we wiped to trash.
    Oh crap... The only DPS available is a Warlock and I don't have any hate transfer so I can't invite them to the group.

I understand that the heal change was a big change for the Paladins and it probably should be looked at but you need to get over yourself. Just becasue your only a Demi-God now and not a full God isn't going to make the pesants plowing the fields feel sorry for you.
  4. ARCHIVED-Vasch233 Guest

Wasuna wrote:
    Paladins were never godly. They actually were starting to be on par with zerkers/SKs.
    And if you were getting replaced, its because you suck, not your class.
  5. ARCHIVED-Rahatmattata Guest

I didn't read the thread, but can someone tell me real quick... is this a rant about paladins not having the defense of a guardian even though they are capable of way more dps, better at soloing and pvp, and have the best sustained aggro in the game? If so... lulz.
  6. ARCHIVED-Maveric_LOL Guest

Rahatmattata wrote:
    Its just the story of a new guy, trying to understand the concepts of his profession and comparing how its supposed to work against how it actually works, Its a story about theory vs practical application is all . Read into it what you will.
  7. ARCHIVED-Wasuna Guest

Ondten@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    I like how the fall back position is that the individual must suck because *gasp* the classe have to be balanced.. I mean, SoE wouldn't let classes grow apart in inate ability right?
  8. ARCHIVED-Brildean Guest

wow that made me chuckle. on the bright side. i bet the changes to the stoneskins for guardians will only give them a 5% advantage to stoneskins in the same group make up as any other tank. I mean i sit at 20% consitantly on raids and 20% blocks, 3 to 4% parry, riposte, and then the off tank is 20% avoidance the attacks to me.. then the 5 to 8% from shield ally. Just more survivability for those O' moments.
  9. ARCHIVED-NANEEJE Guest

LOL Loved the effort put into that. So, now that the Guardians have received some seriously cool looking additions to their arsenal, are we still complaining about each other? Or can we go back to dueling each other in guild halls for the entertainment of our servants. Sorry, but when you roll a Guardian, you know you don't heal. It does suck as a Pally to stop damage/heal/ward/ start damage, it's like asking for a "time out" in the middle of a fight to tie my shoe. Brawlers, good on you for getting some good updates in 57. SK's, we can keep on trucking with our "make do" with what we are given. Zerk's, enjoy your ride :) GOod to see so many top level zerk's right now. Who did I leave out? Oh ya... the suck. If you are getting replaced by any tank in any heroic instance, or even raids, it's because you don't play as well as someone who came along after you. Embrace your Class, Embrace your suck!
  10. ARCHIVED-Landiin Guest

When I rolled a guard I could keep agro vs all other classes including the other tanks while in D stance using a shield. When I rolled a guard yes my DPS was low and I couldn't heal, LH, DT, FD but I was more survivable. Now all that remains is my DPS is lower. The new changed did nothing to change this.
  11. ARCHIVED-NANEEJE Guest

Hmm, maybe I read this wrong... you tell me if it says Guards got love... あえてローカライズに書かせていただきます、PT時間では深夜から早朝にかけてですが、日本時間では17時から24時半はコアタイムを直撃しています。こういう事態は前から何度もあり、日本人プレイヤーの中には慣れてしまった方もいると思いますが、予告できたはずのメンテナンスをこの時間予告無しで行うのは、ダメです、二度とやらないでください。 と言ってもやりそうですけど、新規獲得を考えるなら、「これがSOEだよなー」と言って続けてくれるユーザーはそんなに多くないとおもうんですよ。 I think that says it best :)
  12. ARCHIVED-Boli32 Guest

I found a different quote:
    αυτό είναι όλα τα ελληνικά σε με εγώ δεν έχει καμία ιδέα τι λέεται καμένος ή πράγματα όλα ξέρω ότι είμαστε είμαστε η καλύτερη κατηγορία όπως SoE λέει πρέπει να είμαστε. Βίδα εσύ.
    Think that sums it up better.
  13. ARCHIVED-Cyrdemac Guest

Does anybody has a translation at hand? Missing my chinese? Greek? dictionary
  14. ARCHIVED-Boli32 Guest

Cyrdemac wrote:
    Babel fish if your friend :p
  15. ARCHIVED-Landiin Guest

NANEEJE wrote:
    Translated to WTF?
    And yes Boli it is still all Greek when translated..
  16. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Wasuna wrote:
    So good that other fighters could barely get a raid spot for 4 1/2 years.
  17. ARCHIVED-Landiin Guest

Gaige wrote:
    That bitterness still lingering Gage? Come on man, its been a while since you've played a brawler as your main. Let it go my child! :p
  18. ARCHIVED-Wasuna Guest

Gaige wrote:
    BS.. The best rading guild on my server has used a SK for MT since before ROK. Sorry, just becasue you have problems dealing with the here and now doesn't mean you can rewrite the past for your own needs.
  19. ARCHIVED-Kota Guest

affirmative action in a video game ?
  20. ARCHIVED-Bruener Guest

Wasuna wrote:
    My guild has used a Guard MT thru TSO and SF. Maybe things weren't as bad as a few people make them out to be.
    Oh and we are at the top of progression.