The Shadow Odysseyâ„¢

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-walaruss, Apr 23, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Hugh Guest

Would love to see an Exclusive mount if you pre-order or buy TSO. :D
  2. ARCHIVED-Galithdor Guest

Froakakhan wrote:
    Not wise to diss something before it comes out...and do you even KNOW how hard it could be to get these 60 AA's? not every expansion needs to have a new race or new city...and a new class is never gonna come...haha!
    Devs have already said it isnt like LDoN...it only shares a bit from it...and this expansion has some content for 50-80 so its not like it dosnt scale for other levels...
  3. ARCHIVED-Froakakhan Guest

Galithdor wrote:
    i remember in EoF those 50 aa came very fast most everyone i knew had them all 2 months after the expansion, and that includes the less then casual players. when the expansions come once a year, yes they need to be big and include big content, that is what makes it an expansion. adventure packs just add content simple as that. did you ever play ldon? this is the exact system that ldon was....... you grind dungeon instances over and over and over and over gathering some type of points to buy gear with. the zones may be different, there may be big differences here and there.... but its the same basic system, and it was that basic system that made ldon flop. i cant believe they even thought to do their take on ldon. it was more psychological then anything. people didnt like being forced into dungeons majority of the time they were playing. and if that is 90% of the content, just my guess, but i see them losing alot of players.
    im not saying i wont enjoy the expansion i look forward to seeing their retake on some of the old game zones. i just think it will be a weak expansion, probably the weakest so far.
  4. ARCHIVED-DragonMaster2385 Guest

I think you are passing judgment a little too quickly Froak. Yes, it is instance based like LDoN was, but you have to take into consideration that LDoN pioneered instance dungeons in SOE world, so they had to focus on developing new technology. It is a whole different ball game when the technology already exists and you are simply making content for it. LDoN had 7 different zones with minor variations to them. This is more than double the size and I'm sure the dungeons will be more unique and someone stated that some of them were puzzle based. I hope that there is randomization added to the puzzles so you can't just look online for a guide. Also, there is an overland zone being added, which wasn't done in LDoN. To call this an adventure pack is a little harsh considering that the three adv packs had a considerably small amount of content in comparison as to what is being done here. And I don't think I am going to be as disappointed with this expansion as I was with DoF.
  5. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Froakakhan wrote:
    Weaker then DoF? Now thats a streatch, heck even based on the anounced features, this will be better then either KoS or DoF, will it be weaker then the other two Year Development Expainsions, well that is a horse of a differant color and we won't know that until launch. Think about it even EoF for the high end was weaker then the anounced features for this expaintion.

What did it have for capped people, 1 relitivly small overland zone 2 contested dungons, 2 instanced group dungons, and 4 Raids(atleast 2 of wich where nearly 1 room raids)

What does TSO have 1 Kunark Sized(if not larger) overland zone, 20 dungons(only the devs no the contested/instanced raito), and 4 raidzones 1 of wich is known to be single room, the size of the others is unknown.

As for the addtional AAs in RoK, we did NOT get more AAs we got more AApoints, BIG differance. Both in development time and in what players can work for. Also Compairing how fast EoF AAs came to how fast you think TSO AAs will come is a non-starter as that was a full expainsion ago, a better comparison would be the last few RoK AAs wich I understand are a major PITA.
  6. ARCHIVED-bryldan Guest

Ke

While for ppl who like instances this will seem better and probably will be than kos. But for raiders who have already been slapped around this sounds more like a disaster than anything. This by FAR sounds MUCH weaker from the outset of ROK. 1 solo named dungeon (maybe another VS WOOOTTTTT HELL NO) and then 3 dungeons?
    When RoK was in production no one thought of single raid mobs at this point (before beta) so everything was like 6 raid zones or such which sounds a heck of a lot more than this.
  7. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

bryldan wrote:
    I agree for a raider this will be one of the weaker expainsions, unless they add more zones in the 3months or so they got left in development, but even for raiders it won't be KoS or DoF weak, besides even raiders can do the Instanced zones, and I am sure atleast one of them will be a 6 man raid, like Nazera was, granted thats not a real raid but it will be for that crowd.

Will TSO be for raiders the Weakest of the "Yearly" expainsions... we will know about 10sec after the NDA lifts... will it be the weakest expainsion ever, even for raiders I highly doupt that.
  8. ARCHIVED-bryldan Guest

Kos was not that weak on raiding now granted DoF was but that expansion was the worst out of the bunch and I doubt that even this one could topple that cake.
    As for the raiders doing instances personally I am n ot one of those ppl. I just have the time to log on and to raid and then log off rarely am I ever on on off nights since I am in school full time and have a full time job. So any night off of raiding that I am available I am stuck on the books.

They said what will be released they also talked about another raid zone a while after release I guess.
  9. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

bryldan wrote:
    To be more presise they said what they KNOW will be released, meaning that it will in fact be in game at launch... barring "Acts of God" (ie. a Forest Fire). They also have things that they would LIKE to get in by launch, but don't know if they will be done in time, they hinted at a couple of things like that at Fan Faire but nothing to even start rumors about... more along the lines of "the minimum number of Heritage Quests are 5", in that case minimum being they know they will have 5 HQs in but hope for more. The same could be true for Raid content, but that is a much longer shot, but then again I do seem to remember, and please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall them anouncing any real(non-God) contested in RoK, yet there are some now, and I beleave atleast one or two of them where in at launch.
  10. ARCHIVED-ScrapperX Guest

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I like what I'm hearing so far. They're ditching the solo motif and adding only necessary raid content. The focus is on group content? Awesome. Now how they go about that is a concern. If it's all L80 group instances and dungeons, I dont see the need to add them. The existing instances cover that more than well enough in challenge and payoff, although the dungeons are lacking. I'm just hoping to see scaled instance content. I'm in no way trusting of SOE after Kunark, and my cursor is still hovering over the cancellation buttons, so we'll see what happens, but I aint buying any xpacs until at least a week after release. I wish there was some information on the group content.
    EDIT: I just now read the details of the xpac. There's a focus on dungeons. I translate dungeons to mean nonInstanced. There is a lack of that content in the game, so find this even more likely. Unfortunately, dungeons is not what I'm interested in, but perhaps they're using the term loosely.
  11. ARCHIVED-Noaani Guest

bryldan wrote:
    Interesting statement...
    KoS at launch.
    Labs (instanced)
    AoA (contested)
    ToS (contested)
    Bonemire cubes (contested)
    Hurricanus (contested)
    3P (contested)
    MO (contested)
    DT (instanecd, but with 3 contested kill requirements to enter)
    Trial 4 (instanced, quest related)
    DoF at launch...
    Lockjaw (instanced)
    Courts (instanced)
    Gates (instanced)
    PP:R (instanced)
    PoS (instanced)
    DMP (instanced)
    Godking (instanced, with contested kills required to enter)
    Silent City (contested)
    spider (contested)
    Tree (contested)
    PoF dragons (contested)
    Maj'Dul dragons (summoned)
    Maj'Dul court champions (summoned)
    Like it or not, DoF had more instanced raid zones than any other expansion. Some of them absoluty sucked, and some of them were absolutly fantastic. The problem with DoF was the lack of any additions mid cycle, of which KoS essentially had 6 (Lyceum, HoS, Crab, Chel'Drak, Matron and the Roost). Without these additions, KoS would have been far below DoF for raid content.
    It took guilds longer to do a weekly clearing of DoF than it did KoS, there were more realivent zones to top end guilds in DoF than there were in KoS, there were more challanging encounters in DoF than there were in KoS.
    Basically, the only thing that saved raiders from leaving mid KoS was the fact that raid content was added. I would go as far as to say that at this point, adding zones mid cycle is essential to the health of the game (both heroic and epic). The one sysle they did not do this is looked back at with less than positive thoughts, even though it had some decient content when it was released (though itemization needed serious work, and still does tbh).
    As for this coming expansion, it matches up with EoF instanced raid content almost perfectly, but is missing the 2 non avatar contested. The addition of 2 raid zones (or 1 zone 1 good contested) in this cycle will be needed to keep intrest in the game alive (and maybe the addition of another group zone, although it looks like there may be enough of them at launch, we shall see).
  12. ARCHIVED-bryldan Guest

I thought hos and lyceum were in at release?

As far as dof I didnt know that there was quite that many (did not really get into raiding until kos) I knew of a few that I went to or clicked into to see and that was it. Plus one thing I do know a few of those for DoF was like this past xpac single boss zones that are easily cleared in a few mins.
  13. ARCHIVED-Coniaric Guest

bryldan wrote:
    Actually, no. Those two were added after the release.
  14. ARCHIVED-ZexisStryfe Guest

So... Not to bring this topic back on point or anything, but...
    The new patch went out to Test. Do you guys still want me to post the files changes relevant to tSO even though the expansion has been announced?
  15. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

ScrapperX wrote:
    Dungeons is the catigory of all zones that you go though a door to get into, there are Instanced Dungons and Open World(contested) Dungons. my guess there will be a mix of both with Instances out numbering Open World(Contested). There will be 20 total dungons, 1 overland(solo) zone, and 4 raid zones to adventure in(one of the raid zones will be a single room zone). Also atleast three of the dungons are confurmed to scale down to atleast 50(like splitpaw scales up) these three will have to be instances, as will the "Mission" zones.
  16. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Vulkoor@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Why not if there is interesting stuff, they are still keeping some stuff secrete... otherwise BETA would not be NDAed.

As for DoF, alot of the DoF mobs where single bosses in rooms, also I was pritty shure that PP:R was added latter.

I do know that lyceum was released only a few updates after KoS went live, so that could be why some think it was in at KoS Launch.

::EDIT::
    Looking back at the old patch notes, I was wrong there was nothing added between KoS and DoF Raid wise, however Lyceum was added only 2 updates after KoS went live, also one thing that is also on the list of between KoS and EoF addtions is Fallen Destiny, wich I believe added 1 contested, a Raid zone, and Nasera if you got the Adventure Pack.
  17. ARCHIVED-mopeygothic Guest

kela wrote:
    i guess Innothule will be the new KP docks for pvp =)
  18. ARCHIVED-Xanrn Guest

Vulkoor@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Please Do
  19. ARCHIVED-Novusod Guest

Corvena@Venekor wrote:
    It will probably be worse then KP since it will be a singular hub of the entire expansion. It will be more like wisper wind back in the KoS days or SS docks.
  20. ARCHIVED-Meleania Guest

Lets hope they dont screw this dungeon thing up like they did in LDON by NERFING the XP by a TON and making it not worth doing for those non capped toons