The run around, How does one hunt effectively???

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-faranthil, Nov 22, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-faranthil Guest

I got several Questions about our sneak attacks and hunting in general...

1. Has anyone worked out a work able form of stunning and doing a behind sneak attack?
    2. Same question with archery?
    3. How far should one be from a prey b4 you start sneaking?
    4. Does sneaking and using your bow give an advantage? and if it doesnt shouldnt it?
    5. what is your sneak pitted against when your hunting a prey? Is it level based or just that your skill in it is still to low and get caught easily?
    6. What combo seems to produce the max damage in an encounter?
    7. And finally when using archery... I have had to run around to get multiple shots of on a prey enough to say this can get you in trouble if you dont watch where your going... Has Cheap Shot worked in conjunction with archery for anyone?
    example: you sneak,shadowblade, dirtytrick, cheapshot(stun), disengage and step back and shoot, and then rinse repeat from dirty trick adding in other attacks along the way...

Just trying to get the maximum advantage in SOLO situations. thank you in advance for any feed back
  2. ARCHIVED-Miligne Guest

From (limited)personal experience and judging from what I've read in these forums:

1. With auto-face opponent default on, I find it easy to do this. Simply click cheap shot, and as it loads, toggle off melee attack. Then take one(or two, whatever) step forward so you're at least beside them and hit sneak attack. Hasn't really failed me yet.

2. I'm only level 13 and I'm guessing you're talking about back shot? Well, in theory it sounds like it could work.

3. Painful personal experience has taught me that patience is a virtue. As much as I love to cut time short by guessing that a monster won't spot me by the time my sneak has loaded as I walk towards them, more often than not I'm discovered. But to answer your question... about 15 feet or so they don't notice you(off the top of my head). Best thing is to go piss off some agressive beetles or soemthing and check at what distance you are before they notice you.

4. Never tried.

5. From what I've read, sneak puts your level against the enemy's. sneak app. II is equal level, app. III is +1 lvl above you and adept I is +2 lvls or something along those lines. So with sneak app. II, you can successfully sneak past a dude equal to your level.

6. My way: shadow blade, cheap shot, sneak attack, quick strike, bleed, maybe dirty tricks then some heroic opportunity that deals 40 and stuns them. then wing it, hehe

7. Well, cheap shot's worked for me as I ran away from a guy while in ranged mode. I cheap shotted him so he got stunned and since i was still in ranged mode as i moved away, my guy fires an arrow. So I don't see how your tactics shouldn't work.

bear in mind this is my first mmorpg and as i mentioned am only lvl 13. hope it helps though.
  3. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

4. There are higher level ranger special attacks that involve a bow fired from sneak and a flanking position, check out calzweb.com
  4. ARCHIVED-faranthil Guest

Great... thanks for the link Blitz...

I have decided to go in the woodworker path for artisan. I will update all on how the progression goes in terms of arrow making and bows and if those totems ever get to work properly... :smileymad:
  5. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

Awesome! As you progress I'd be very intrested to know what kind of bows become available to higher level crafters. Keep us updated!
  6. ARCHIVED-acemac Guest

heaven forbid you play the game your self lol

ACEMAC