Not A Bug The RNG and you...

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Zsserghur, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

^^^THIS. No programmer is going to waste time creating special RNG routines. I guarantee they all use whatever RNG is in their software library. For "smart loot" you look first at the character's class, then tell the RNG to roll and apply the number that was rolled to the loot table for that class. You don't screw around with a function that is so easily accessible in every known computer language library unless you happen to be an academic type working on creating better/more efficient/whatever RNG tools..
    Descord, Breanna and Marae like this.
  2. Argosunited Well-Known Member

I run the 3 Sambata solo's numerous times a day. I am still waiting for the no-trade shinies from them. Honestly my luck sucks.
  3. Jaeded Well-Known Member

I used to be guilded & raid/group with one of the devs many years ago. Due to a situation I was not aware of our relationship became strained for awhile. Ever since then I have joked that my account has been hard coded to always come out on the low end of RNG. I never seem to get the good stuff and it became a joke over the years with subsequent guilds because I always rolled low and I never got the good solo chests. If you run with the same people most of the time there is definitely a pattern to who gets/wins the best loot. So far in BoL I have had one exquisite chest which contained ...a master spell...level 108!!! Really??
    Kryzia and Pixistik like this.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I wish they'd up the frequency of the dratted NO-TRADE collection items. I'm grinding solos now just for the last shinies in each collection...
    Breanna and Tangris like this.
  5. Francoise Member

A friend and I have run over 120 of the solos since yesterday. One exquisite with the mount you can't give away because everyone in the guild has it. This game is being ruined by the grind to get nothing.
    Kryzia and Descord like this.
  6. Descord Member

i saw same person slr 3 red runes in less then one hour in 3 different solo instances .. while i .. dont get one like all day .. and like alot of people .. that is some messed up RNG
    Kryzia likes this.
  7. Dotuming Active Member

The RNG is an absolute abomination to this game. Playing since launch beta i have hit the wall frustration wise with it and give up. Want to get that awesome PQ item? Run it 100 times and watch others get 4 or 5 of them while you get an infuser or advanced armorer 11. Want to use coins and status to buy it? Forget it! Spend all that coin, plat, and status for another infuser. Want to get that last no-trade shiny? Beg your friends to run the same heroic zones 54 times to come up empty. I can't even buy the damned thing for millions of plat. Want that game changing red-rune pattern that is gated behind the horrible Overseer quests? Watch as others get loads of them. I don't mind putting in the work to get items. I've been doing that since launch but for the love of god make it an even playing field. I don't care what people say, in my experience with this game there are huge issues with this load of crap they call RNG.

In the long run it doesn't matter. With the launch of this expac and all the raid bugs, raid pattern bugs, classes being horribly out of balance, charmed pets doing quadrillions of damage, other bugs, server stability issues being non-stop, the lack of PQ vendor, lack of Raid Vendor, the RNG is probably minor which is saying a lot.

I give up...and no you can't have my stuff..
    Kryzia, EmJay, Jaeded and 2 others like this.
  8. Narumbi New Member

Holy cow. It's like you just read my mind... can't agree more.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

There's nothing wrong wit the RNG. What you are reallymad about is the low probability chance assigned to the good stuff you want to have drop, I think. The random numbers are exactly that, random. You can't really see how random they are until you have enough tolls to be a statistical universe, 1000 at the very minimum.

It's more useful to ask that the probability of getting a certain item be changed than raging about the RNG.
    Breanna likes this.
  10. Francoise Member

Not true Sigrdrifa. One chest over 120 solo runs is less than 1% chance of getting anything worthwhile. This expac makes it necessary to get exquisite chest drops to advance unless you have really deep pockets and can afford to buy the experts, recipes, spells, etc that you need to advance. The RNG sucks and will ruin this game, hell, it's well on the way to doing that already.
    Kryzia likes this.
  11. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

That has nothing to do with the RNG, who's sole purpose is to *drumroll* generate a random number. That's an issue with the loot table. For example: RNGeezus generates a random number from 1-100, n. The appropriate loot table is identified (zone, instance, level, whatever other variables they plug in), then any modifiers applied (hence the table going past the 1-100 "roll") probably something like this:

Code:
    [1-24] Empyreal Infuser
    [25-49] Planar Fragment
    [50-51] Smelly Barracuda
    [52-89] Common Shiny
    [90-91] NO TRADE Shiny
    [92-99] 150 Resolve Gear
    [100] 155 Resolve Gear
    [101-104] Santa Glug's Undies
    [105-109] Chest with Legendary Schtuff
    [110] Chest with good stuff
    This isn't to say there's no problem going on with itemization / drops, just that it likely isn't the RNG. A minor point for most of us, but engineers/devs tend to look at things a little differently than us players. That's why there's technical PM's and such, to provide an "interface layer" between software devs/engineers and the rest of humanity. :p
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  12. Jaeded Well-Known Member

And can someone tell me why the same people are always auctioning the 'good stuff'? Most of us can't catch a break with rng but others seem to get all the breaks...yes I'm referring to solo zone loot.
    Kryzia and Argosunited like this.
  13. Argosunited Well-Known Member

So silly, let's be a bit more realistic here.
    Code:
    [1-108] 20% Infuser
    [109] Essence of Chaos
    [110] Chest of good stuff including planar energies 
  14. Francoise Member

The items we need seem to be on the loot tables, They are dropping in the zones, they are being sold in auction and on the broker. But, they are dropping less than 1% of the time. I don't believe it's the loot tables.
  15. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

Well, after 15 years of playing I can assure you that some characters, very old ones on my part, have distinctive RNG patterns that I can utilize to my benefit. I once programmed and know how it should be done, but looking at my characters it is obvious that way back in the olden days it wasn't done right and seems to be seeded off your character ID or some other number unique to your character. Meanwhile, over time I have noticed that for some newer randomized items the RNG seems to be based upon a more standard system.
    Argosunited likes this.
  16. Twisty Well-Known Member

if there is ever a need for an example of an educational system mass-fail, look no further than understanding of statistics heh. it's an oldy but such a goody

i never get good stuff! they always get good stuff! clearly it's broke! o_O

if it's a 1% chance and i ran it 100 times, i should've gotten it! clearly it's broke! o_O
  17. Beastlord Active Member

Lol. I have 500+ of the stupid Greater Planar Energy Fragments. They suck and are a waste of an award.
    Argosunited likes this.
  18. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Random number generation... well, computers do pseudo-random number generation.

The class where we had to deal with that, the professor told us it wasn't truly random. However, he had read an article in Dr. Dobb's Journal, a magazine for programmers, that if the algorithym could be impemented ni code, it would be as close to random as possible on a computer. This was from in an issue in about 1988 or 1989. 1989 is when he showed it to us.

So you don't have to look it up, if my memory serves me well this morning, it was basically one call to a procedure/function, but in thaere were multiple rng calls. The seed for each number come up with was done with a rng function. There were some other things going on in that to, but I don't remember them.

Probably slow down this game more if it was implemented. We tried in Vax pascal, but couldn't quite get it to work.
  19. Dotuming Active Member

No what i am disappointed in is the fact that they are using the RNG to gate top end runes behind the RNG with overseer quests. I'm also disappointed with the fact that they allow a character to loot more than 1 of the PQ charms. They should be tagged LORE and not LORE-EQUIP so that the limited number that are given out do not go to those that already have them. What i am also really disappointed in is the increasing use of RNG to dictate loot instead of actually working for your rewards.

In short, please keep your opinions of what others are mad at to yourself. The misinformation you spew on these boards is incredible.
  20. Francoise Member

You may be a mathematician or a statistician Twisty, I really don't care. When how you progress in the game is based on your gear, spells, adornments,etc and BOL has tied those items to rare drops from exquisite chests, rare overseer rewards, rare PQ rewards, rare researcher rewards and rare status merchant rewards it makes it almost impossible to progress without putting many hours into this game. I imagine most players also have jobs and can't spend hour upon hour attempting to get some of those upgrades with little or no results. Running many rounds of the same solos gets boring really fast. I have played for 12 years and always expected to work to better my toon and actually had a better chance of doing so before this horrible expansion. This may be my last. Darkpaw has pretty much ruined this game for me.
    Lateana and Argosunited like this.