The Prison Server Experiment -- Drunder

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Aug 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dimak New Member

It's about time and I LOVE IT. If this goes as Holly has explained it, i will be re-upping for another 12 months asap. Hell maybe all my friends and past guildies that left this game because of botters trivializing the actions of at least 24 different people's hard earned effort's may reactivate their accounts! Thank you DBG, you have renewed my faith in my beloved Norrath.
  2. Nooloon Active Member

Without an appeal process this server becomes nothing but poorly disguised arbitrary justice. The first question that immediately springs to mind is one that should trouble every citizen of every country in the world. Namely, "Who watches the watchers?"
    Prissetta, Awkk, Surgeon and 4 others like this.
  3. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Then don't do anything wrong. Seriously, this is way over the top paranoia, and is completely illogical. Why would you think that the devs wouldn't be professional about their jobs? Do you seriously think they would be saying "I don't like you, so I'm sending you and your account to prison"? I'd be pretty sure that unless you chose to go, if you came to the devs attention through doing something you shouldn't be (probably repeatedly), then you deserve to go. And probably they would have to justify their decision to someone higher up the food chain. It's called having checks and balances, and its something every business of any size does.

Why do a lot of folks here seem to think that this company or any company for that matter, which relies on its customers for its income and profit, would deliberately seek to p*ss off said customers to the point where they leave, with the result that the company then closes? I've read a lot of posts on this forum where people are suggesting that DBG behaves in exactly this manner. This is utterly illogical and totally paranoid.
  4. Josgar Active Member

It sounds like the main time constraint on this project is bringing up an empty server and probably didn't "waste development time."

Does this replace the perma-ban? If you weren't afraid of being perma-banned before, you probably shouldn't be afraid of being Drundered now.
  5. Crulnadh New Member

This is the dumbest idea I ever heard for any mmo, except maybe those cartoony alts in the EQN presentation.

But by latter I convinced myself that they were just made intentionally to see how much they can upset their fanbase with WoW -like designs when everybody wants at least something as good then ESO designs and beyond.

How much thinner do they want to split the player base? Solitary confinement for each player on their own server? Pay your monthly rent for a solo game and ignore all the much more appealing alternatives!!!
    Oh wait, I can't access my credit card anymore. What's going on?!? -ZAP-
    -to be continued on the prison grid-

This was a marvelous Aprils fool joke wasted...or my calendar is going wrong for four months.

Serious, the timed servers was already bad enough for server population, Use the already thin resources to improve what we got. the only way to avoid foul apples in mmo's is to keep them in plain sight in some flypaper place, e.g. GS in WoW then trying to create a phantom zone a la Superman where nobody wants to pay to stay in.

Here's a greta song from a great band which fits sadly in context to this idea:
    Csipi likes this.
  6. Csipi Active Member

Just think an account wide ignore could have solved the problem.
  7. Neiloch Well-Known Member

They can still act that way unintentionally. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    Prissetta, Lodrelhai and Juraiya like this.
  8. Buffrat Well-Known Member

Can we rename the server to Australia instead of Drunder?
    Prissetta, Awkk, Gharyn and 7 others like this.
  9. Winterfell New Member

Yea, I would LOVE an account-wide ban for certain trolls with many alts
    Sigrdrifa and Csipi like this.
  10. Darkon Well-Known Member

Please. 10/10. Would donate 100$.
    Prissetta, Awkk and Winterfell like this.
  11. Kelvani Well-Known Member

This is worrisome to me. I am a "good girl" and play by the rules but I do see some areas needing clarification. I can honestly say that if I was ever sent to Drunder, that would be the end of the road for me as the anarchy there would kill this carebear's desire to play.

1) What criteria will be used to determine who gets exiled to Drunder? Will it be repeat offenders only.. or will people be given a chance to straighten up.

2) If a player is sent to Drunder, and they feel that the move was a personal attack/vendetta because of a GM not liking them on a personal level, will they have the ability to petition the ruling and have a council of GMs look into the matter?

3) Will this be retroactive? Or will this start off with everyone having a clean slate and getting a chance to improve their playstyle to avoid exile.

4) Will some sort of rule book be made available to clearly lay out what constitutes a exile to Drunder offense?

5) If an account is hacked or mis-used by an irate ex ect.. NOT the account owner.. will the account owner be penalized by someone else's actions even if they can prove they were not the ones responsible for the exile worthy actions? Yes, we are not supposed to share our account information, but I am guessing I am the exception to the rule when I say my hubby isn't allowed on my account and visa versa.
    Merriel, Prissetta, Nooloon and 4 others like this.
  12. Maergoth Well-Known Member

First: There isn't much work to be done to put people on these servers or open the server to begin with.
    Second: There are plenty of repeat offenders who are paying good money, who end up disrupting other peoples' games.
    Third: This server is an opportunity to let people go ham and try hard to break the game under the watchful eye of devs who can then apply those observations to prevent issues from occurring on live. Definitely a "petri dish" situation
  13. Darkon Well-Known Member

Honestly the only thing is it needs to be kept off the 'progression' website, as well as 'discoveries' on items need to be in a separate database.
  14. Iglu Active Member

What an interesting idea. Is this a first for an MMO as well ?
  15. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I'm loving the idea of renaming the server "Australia" :p
    HaphazardAllure, Kittybock and Iglu like this.
  16. Prosum New Member

If I wasn't in a bet, in which the mafia was trying to make me kill myself.... I'd leave and never come back
  17. Finora Well-Known Member

These are the sorts of things I'm curious about as well. As Kelvani says of herself, I'm a "good girl" and play by the rules However, I have had a GM called on me for "botting" which I wasn't doing and if the individual who had reported me had bothered to try to talk to me, I would have chatted with them like I was with my guild mates. I just was on a crafting binge. The GM and I later had a good laugh about it, but it was upsetting to me nevertheless. But what if I happened to have been afk in the bathroom or getting a drink when the GM started sending me tells?I have been known to just let a combine coast if RL demanded me to be afk. Would that be enough to get a strike?
    GrunEQ, Merriel, Prissetta and 3 others like this.
  18. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Damage is done if they clear content before 'regular' servers regardless if its posted on some third party site or not.

Foreknowledge of content through extraordinary means.

Maybe if there was a time lag on content depending on when a force on a regular server cleared it or just in general. Such as the prison server doesn't get content updates until 6 months after live.
    Prissetta and Juraiya like this.
  19. Viking2054 New Member

Personally I'm all for this. But I'd like to see people get a few warnings before it happens to them. It doesn't sound to me like Chat issues are what is going to get someone sent to Drunder, at least to me, but more serious things that upset GM's and Developers. If it's serious enough to upset the GM's and Developers (not Customer Service) and they've had two, three, or four warnings then they deserve what they get in my opinion.

My question would be, does Drunder get updates like the other servers or is it going to be stuck in the current timeline forever!
    Prissetta, Juraiya and Rhodris like this.
  20. Crulnadh New Member

How about Ailartsua instead as it is on the other side of Norrath? It doesn't hurt the feelings of Austrlians until they are as inventive then sony was....;p oops -ZAP-
    - to be continued on the prison server-
    Kittybock and Rhodris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.