The price of the Xpac

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion, Nov 17, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Beagley Guest

Citadelli wrote:
    Means that they are against forum guidelins in some way and have been moved to an area viewable only by SOE employees/moderators.
  2. ARCHIVED-XAvengerX Guest

Citadelli wrote:
    Claims like that mean very little unless backed up with sales figures comparable across all EQ2 expansions ....and as SOE doesnt release official sales figures, or subscription numbers ..... well ... I think you can figure out the rest yourself.
  3. ARCHIVED-Felshades Guest

few notes:
    special warder pet = likely only a special graphic on a standard warder.
    mount = wooooooooo I got plenty of those. And that one isn't even that great looking imo for some reason.
    house = I have a few of those.. I kinda dislike the themed houses because I'm limited in what I can do to decorate them to fit certain.. criteria? maybe? Like the Halas houses, I like on my barbarian, but I can't do what I want with the walls, or the floor, etc, like I can with the FP and Qeynos houses. New layouts of those with new wall/trim/floor/etc options would have been spiffier.
    Cloaks and robes... fluff stuff. Okay I guess.
    Beastlords. I've been anti beastlord since the beginning. I've changed stance on this since. I can't say anything however.
    That leaves the AA and dungeon maker and tradeskill apprentices. I'm not impressed by any of it. Again, I can't say more.
    I'd pay 20, maybe 30 for the standard edition. I paid 30 for DoV as a side note(store had had that same copy since release. I paid 29.99). Not 40. Not during the Christmas season on a limited income. By the time I have the money to spend on it, I'll be able to get it cheap on Amazon or at GameStop if they happen to pick up a copy. Since I bought my DoV there and they replaced it since(seem to keep 1 copy in stock.. they also had SF back then) they probably will.
    For the CE fluffy enjoying crowd, it might be worth it. For the standard? They're 10 to 15 bucks shy of the mark.
  4. ARCHIVED-Cyrdemac Guest

Nadirah@Crushbone wrote:
    add Reforging to the list: ability to reforge items that doesn't got the stats you want
  5. ARCHIVED-Trinral Guest

Cyrdemac wrote:

Did you say :

1) add Reforging to the list: ability to reforge items that doesn't got the stats you want
    or

2) add Reforging to the list: ability to do SOE's job for them because they are completely terrible at itemisation.
  6. ARCHIVED-Cyrdemac Guest

Avirodar@Oasis wrote:
    err...I might get banned, if I answer that question honestly :D
  7. ARCHIVED-TheSpin Guest

The warder is going to be a little different in more than appearance. Smokejumper mentioned this in the streaing podcast or webcast or whatever it is.

Ultimately you guys are just complaining because most of you know you'll buy it whether you like the price or not. It's really just your perception of the expansion that's causing you a problem with the price... it is not really about the money. Just think of it like this... the more money SoE makes off of EQ2 the more they will put back into it. This is the biggest reason you should support the F2P model, and accept the price of the expansion.
  8. ARCHIVED-Tigress Guest

i disagree with you, thespin. i'm not buying it for any of my accounts. the feature pack is overpriced. if i (and most ppl) snapped it up at launch, they would view that as a success and repeat the process in another 6 months. i'd rather refuse to buy it and hope that many more do the same. if that happens, they will not ask full expansion price for a feature pack again.

note: if all of my empty paid character slots remain empty AND the feature pack is found btwn $10-$20 on amazon, i'll buy it then. if it never makes it to amazon OR i am expected by EQ2 team to rebuy my empty paid character slots, then i can do without forever.
  9. ARCHIVED-Raknid Guest

TheSpin wrote:
    Thanks a lot for making my sides hurt...
  10. ARCHIVED-Hamervelder Guest

Artemiz@The Bazaar wrote:
    You've bought into Sony's bloated pricepoints, which is why you think the expansion is a good value. $20 for one mount or one class is a good value? Really? $7 for a cloak is a good value? Really? We got 24 classes, THOUSANDS of items, and an entire world, all for $40 with the game's release, and you think that half that amount for ONE item is a good value? I again urge you (and everyone else who thinks that this expansion's price is a good value) to look at the bigger picture. $20 for one item is not a good value, nor is this expansion pack. The fact that you (or anyone else) thinks so tells me that SOE's marketing ploy has worked, at least for some people, and that's saddening.
  11. ARCHIVED-Kizee Guest

I wont be buying it and I think only 1 or 2 people inmy guild are buying it.
    Hopefully this fails miserably and $oE will learn a lesson from this like Netflix did.
  12. ARCHIVED-Kringus Guest

I'm still mystified by the thought process that went into this xpac. I've watched the podcasts and it still makes no sense to me. Why not wait to release until there's content to go with the name?

Personally I plan to hold off on purchasing for a while- "the horse could talk" and it could turn out to not be a waste of money; or SWTOR could be so well done that it won't matter. Either way I see 0 incentive to purchase this right away.

I agree with the Netflix comparison. Producers need to learn to do a little more of a "sanity check" before pushing their ideas on people.
  13. ARCHIVED-Raknid Guest

Kringus wrote:
    Oh, I think you have Smedley to blame, though SJ probably just thought it was a wonderful idea.
  14. ARCHIVED-Jaffa Tamarin Guest

Elhonas@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    If SoE put the beastlord class as an unlockable on the marketplace, the first new class introduced to this game since release, I would expect it to cost $40 on its own. And probably reduced in price after some number of months.
    As far as value goes, compare to what I could get for $40 elsewhere (one nice meal, 2-3 blu-rays or movie trips), I expect to get at least $40 worth of entertainment value from playing my beastlord. So for me the whole expansion at $40 certainly is good value. YMMV.
    Comparing it to the cost of the original game is not valid. The game was sold to get people to pay the subscription, which is where the real money came from.
  15. ARCHIVED-Raknid Guest

Or you get Rift here for $10.
    http://www.amazon.com/Rift-Pc/dp/B002I0HIC8
    Aion for $8
    http://www.amazon.com/Aion-Tower-Et...22846248&sr=1-1
    AND
    Guild Wars trilogy for $23.
    http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Tr...ref=pd_sim_vg_5
    All that content, plus 2 months of free play in the first two, plus unlimited free play in the latter.

I guess SOE no longer feels it needs to compete on content or value and that people will just blindly pay for whatever they sell simply because it is "only the price of a dinner out for two."
    Call me crazy, but I would take the core of a game and a free month of play for the price of a Mcdonalds Value meal with supersize fries over AoD...that is, unless I was so hooked and invested in EQ2 that I just couldn't part with the game.
    The last part of that sentence is what SOE is counting on, and they will continue down that path unless we show them we are displeased.
    All you really have to do is put off the purcahse for a bit, not even completely forgoe it, and SOE will get the message.
  16. ARCHIVED-Jaffa Tamarin Guest

Raknid wrote:
    I don't buy games just because they are cheap. They have to also be more entertaining than the games I'm currently playing. And currently I find EQ2 to be the most entertaining MMO available.
    SoE is introducing new and desirable content to a game I enjoy for a price that I am willing to pay. Why would I be displeased?
  17. ARCHIVED-Raknid Guest

SOE is counting on people like you, and those who will pay $20 for the opposite facing cow. Good luck when this turns into simply a Zynga game.
    http://www.npr.org/2011/11/18/14251...n-it-destroy-it
    ALEXANDER: Somewhere along the line, his larger user base began to be people who, either they understood it was a joke and they still enjoyed it or they just didn't get it or they just didn't care. Like, people really loved their cows.
    VOGT: Fifty thousand people. For many of them, Cow Clicker was just another mindless, addictive Facebook game, indistinguishable from the mindless, addictive games it was meant to parody.
    BOGOST: The ironist players dropped off. What I was left with were real players who were making demands, you know, who wanted things that I wasn't giving them in the game. They wanted different cows. They wanted, like, Cowthulu.
    VOGT: Wait, Cowthulu?
    BOGOST: Yeah they wanted a, you know, Lovecraftian Cthulu cow - Cowthulu.
    VOGT: That's the bovine equivalent of a tentacled creature named Cthulu, created by H.P. Lovecraft and beloved by geeks. Still psyched that people were into his game, Bogost gave them what they wanted.
    BOGOST: You know, there was a pirate cow, a ninja cow and a cow that costs over $100. When you bought that cow, we sent a real cow to the Third World. You know, I was very eager to put more material into the game to see how people would react.
    VOGT: But eventually, he got uneasy.
    BOGOST: After a while I realized they're doing exactly what concerned me about these games. They're, you know, becoming compulsively attached to it. There was one point when I realized that I was now attached to in a compulsive way. I was worrying about what the cow clickers thought while I was away from the game. And that was the moment at which I both felt kind of empathy with the players. And also, I began to feel very disturbed by the product.
    VOGT: He decided to sabotage the game, to tweak it, to make it more maddening, more dumb.
    ALEXANDER: At one point, he just like, he took the default cow, switched it to face the other direction and charged 20 bucks for it. And people bought it.
  18. ARCHIVED-Triyton Guest

One of the most worthy features for a lot of people may be the Mercenaries. There is a lot of soloing going on.
    The Ultraubers can solo everything already, and the multiboxers don't need any help. But for a lot of people adding a mercenary should greatly increase how much content can be soloed (technically duoed maybe, but only one live player). Depending on exactly how it works, perhaps, the effects on the economy and the game overall could be huge.
  19. ARCHIVED-Wraths Guest

Triyton wrote:
    If you have a hard time grouping with real people now, wait till those come out. Groups will be non-existant outside of guilds.
  20. ARCHIVED-Jaffa Tamarin Guest

Cow clicker: a game that was created as a joke accidentally found it had a real community of real players. So? Just because you found one example of a game that was created ironically does not mean that everything is like that. I'm pretty sure the EQ2 devs are not intending EQ2 as a parody.