The price of the Xpac

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion, Nov 17, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

This is the first time I have seen SOE give us a reduced price on the CE version. What the SC marketplace gives us now is a basis of comparison. I used it to judge the value of the CE which is priced at $59.99, lets call it $60 ;)

• $20 Armored Flying Mount (new Pegasus mounts cost $20)
    • $15 Presitge House (took the average prestige house price since the size is unknown. Lavastorm is appealing btw)
    • $20 Beastlord Class (Assuming you could buy the unlock in similar to Freeblood race. The fact this race has been requested for so long and to no avail it was a censored word on the forums speaks volumes about the desire of this class)
    • $7 Cloak
    • $5 Robe
    So far I am at $67 in items and have not touched the Dungeon Maker items, Beastlord Warder pet or the features of the Xpac.

Not everyone will arrive at the same conclusion. Some of this is wrapped up in content. Smokejumper has said content will be developed and released through 2013 for the DoV xpac so as long as you have that xpac you will be getting additional content for 2 years beyond the original release date which makes the DoV xpac a decent value as well. What is unknown is whether or not SOE is going to try and release another xpac for purchase in 2012 or this is the one we should expect. IF, this is the one for 2012 and we should expect nothing but Free content updates until 2013 as long as we have purchased DoV, I am of the mindset the game and its xpacs are still a good value.

That is all~
  2. ARCHIVED-agentsix Guest

Artemiz@The Bazaar wrote:
    And that $20 mount is a /claim item for each toon. That starts to add up quickly. Even a better value.
  3. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

Fine. You can keep all the in game items. I don't want or need any of them. Just give me the actual features for $20 and let's call it a day.
  4. ARCHIVED-Deveryn Guest

17-20 for Dungeon Maker (I'm sure this took a lot of time to basically convert their own tools for our personal use.)
    10-15 for TS Apprentice
    Reforging around 5-8(?)
    I don't know how to price Mercs, as we don't know how effective they really are, but I would expect it to be on the cheaper side.

I see them going more for a la carte offerings after this. Maybe some of the bigger projects will have a pre-order pack thrown together.
  5. ARCHIVED-Fitz Guest

I care less than a little amount about all of those additions.
  6. ARCHIVED-darwich Guest

your statement of the "first time soe gave us a discount" is flawed. DoV was the same, i know i purchased it.
  7. ARCHIVED-Lathain_Sarathai Guest

20$ a mount LOL cant wait to see them at 2000$ each for a temporary mount lasting 24h. /sarcasm off.
    for 10 years we got hundreds of mount for a normal price (less than 40 plat), i cant immagine how they could sell EQ1/2 at launch if each mount was set at 20$ each from start.
  8. ARCHIVED-kahonen Guest

Having said this, I'm buying the standard pack because of the time and effort I've put into my toon and I'm willing to give SOE the benefit of the doubt. There is no way in the world I could possibly justify spending the extra money on the CE.
  9. ARCHIVED-Belzeebub2 Guest

This up coming GU which goes by the name of "Age of Discovery" should be free, we've never purchased a GU before so why should we now?
  10. ARCHIVED-Kizee Guest

The people trying to justify the price make me laugh because anyway you look at it we got MUCH MUCH more in adventure packs priced between $4.99 and $7.99 than this weak "expansion".
  11. ARCHIVED-thewarriorpoet Guest

Hissyfit@Oasis wrote:
    Exactly. Though, I honestly find the CE is worth the cost (as the OP points out) IF you want the fluff stuff. The issue is not the fluff though, its the fact that the mechanics being added are not worth the $40 for the standard edition of AoD. I'm just not going to buy it. I don't need or want it and the only way the price will come down and real content and real fixes get done (with real pre-live testing) is if doing otherwise impacts the bottom line. Also, one of the reaons they probably are stopping with the physical boxed sales is because I could go buy any of the past xpacs (CE or std) for less then $5 from a bargin bin. This way they can keep gouging for the "feature set". I'm not bothered by this, its reality, its business, people need to stop whinning about it and start holding back your money. STOP PAYING SOE FOR CRAP! I still enjoy the game so I plan to drop to silver and play for free. If the game ever becomes worth paying for again, I will. /rant off
  12. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

As I said intitially, not everyone will arrive at the same conclusion. For those wanting the items included, its a good value. For those who dont, it comes down to content, of which there really isnt any as its a mechanics update with extra AA's.
    I was not aware DoV was offered at a reduced price, I actually stopped playing just before DoV came out and only returned within the last couple of months. So this is the second time.
    The CE is not for everyone, there is no doubt of that. For those that dont think even the standard xpac is worth $40 due to the lack of content, remember this is an optional xpac of mechanics only.
    If you dont want reforging, apprentices, the ability to make dungeons or use the rewards from them or have a beastlord character than honestly, you dont need this xpac.
    You can always wait for the next double sc offer and buy $20 worth of SC and buy the xpac on SC for half price that way, just wait a bit to get it.
    There is always a price to be first, it is the way things are always done. If you think Beastlords are going to be required to raid and you want to buy into that, then pay for the privilege. If you own DoV you will continue to get content and can skip this xpac until such time as you find value in it.
    There are many decisions SOE makes I am not a fan of. The forums are littered with my opinions on such; not including DoV in the AoD expansion was one such decision. As a returning player I had to purchase DoV separately for each account I choose to reactivate in addition to the AoD expansion should I choose to utilize those features as well. My expectation based on past performance since EoF anyway was to wait until AoD and catch up all at once. And . . . much like the stock market, past performance is often no indicator of future returns.
  13. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

thewarriorpoet wrote:
    Actually well said. The silver option may be a path for many players that are willing to buy unlocks for their toons that dont fall under the free races, classes and unlocks for their legendary and fabled weapons so they can continue playing those characters for free. I think I saw someone claiming it takes about 21 unlocks per character to keep them in tact, I personally do not know as I have not utilized that service.
  14. ARCHIVED-Elskidor Guest

Only few wants this junk. That's like forcing us to buy stupid SC items we don't want. Just because some people are gullable enough to buy this junk, doesn't mean everyone is. Oh joy we get a house...go play the Sims...seriously. You can build and play house all day long there, and for much cheaper! :)
    Beastlords and AA were the only interesting features, but then they announced no details on the AA and a steep price. That's leave Beastlord only. That's enough to lose all interest in buying the expansion for a class that will probably have alot of issues for the first few months anyway.

15. ARCHIVED-MystsofLedge12 Guest

Even if you follow the OP's Logic its a saveings $7 on a bundle of fluffy stuff.

Of course the "Special warder pet for BL's" will that give players an unfair advantage over those who bought the SE
    And i argue the same thing for the added features to the Dungeon Maker

But mostly the key is in all this SOE you're asking a bit much for AoD, the fans/players and all are agreeing, though TBH i have no clue why anyone would pre oder this steaming pile of horse hockey.

I definately went with the bottom option over on the other forum and stick by it untill they drop the prices to non ludacris levels.
  16. ARCHIVED-SOE-MOD-08 Guest

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=500098&post_id=5660009 Trolling
  17. ARCHIVED-SOE-MOD-08 Guest

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=500098&post_id=5660021 trolling
  18. ARCHIVED-Citadelli Guest

Comparing the value of the last expansion this year, DoV... an expansion that takes 3 years to fully come out... to this which is a feature pack coming out with the new free to play model doesn't really make sense IMO for the same price?
    Since the features are so specific to seperate game play styles I would guess SOE would make more bang for their buck by dividing each of the features seperately through SC. Someone likes Dungeon Maker... $10, someone likes tradeskills... $10, someone likes em all they pay the 40 get the whole sha-bam at a slightly discounted rate. Seems like the good time to do it. This would also allow people to piece meal the "expansion" if they are strapped on cash. I just seem to see a lot of people saying... "this is an expansion?"
    There are "kind of neat" features for all of them, but not something I'm personally going to fork out for it all, and I know i'm not the only one, not to mention we have 4 Eq2 accounts in our household....
  19. ARCHIVED-Citadelli Guest

On a side note DoV was touted as the highest selling expansion for EQ2, it will be interesting to see how this rolls out.
  20. ARCHIVED-Citadelli Guest

Both of the SOE forum moderator's links to this "forum has been moved" don't work for me?