The Path of Fear - Greenmist HQ update issue

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Chiffon, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Chiffon Active Member

Speak with Captain Delshirrs at the Danak docks

Hailed Captain Delshirrs on the dock. She was at the end of the dock by the boat with a book over her head. In the middle of hailing her she disappeared. Even after relogging she did not reappear. After approximately 5 mins she appeared on tracking at the other end of the dock with a book on her head. I hailed her again, got the update to follow her.

A group of players showed up and hailed the captain before she started walking down the dock.

The other group and myself followed the captain down the docks towards the ship.

When the Far Seas crewmen became aggro the other group killed the mobs before I could get a single hit in, and their quest updated, mine did not.

I tried hailing Captain Delshirrs again, but she would not acknowledge me.

The Far Seas crew respawned and they were not aggro, I was unable to hit them.

My quest was stuck at the point where I was supposed to defeat the crew and I was unable to continue.

Another player came along a few minutes later and hailed the Captain at the end of the dock. I wound up grouping with that person and when their quest aggro'd the mobs I was able to hit a mob and update my quest.

The current mechanics of this quest update are going to cause people to become stuck until someone else comes along on the same step.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't like the way this works at all. Once you speak to the Captain, no one else should be able to until after the battle and talking to her again is complete.
    Quillyne and captainbeatty451 like this.
  3. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I wondered what would happen if another group showed up and on same step. I've been lucky so far no one was there when I hailed the Captain and had to wait for that long slow walk.

Good thing you found another to group with and continue your quest. I'd imagine the solution you found (grouping with someone else) will be the way to fix.

As an alternative, can probably delete the quest and redo those steps up to captain needing to be hailed; this still seems risky in that you never know when someone else will show up.
  4. Cheesenabber Active Member

Deleting and redoing works; I hope I didn't mess anyone up learning this! Most of these quests I can't, I honestly didn't think this one would be any different.
  5. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's a good thing I had done this quest once before I did it a second time yesterday after reading someone's post in gen chat that the script gets messed up if you talk to her while she's moving.

On my second run, when I went to find her, she was walking down the dock, and she had the book icon over her head. If I had never done the quest, I would have tried to hail her, just thinking she was a mobile npc. Since I had heard you mess up someone's game by speaking to her, I just waited for her to pop back to her starting point.

Also, the dock has people there consistently who are NOT on the quest, because that is a zone in area, so it's not like having a person there is a sure sign they are on the quest, so is not an immediate red flag to wait your turn. Anyway, disabling the quest icon over her head and ability to speak to her until she is done would be the best fix for this. Would still get a line at the post where she starts, but at least there, you could all group up and do it together, potentially.

Also, I almost had a heart attack when I just barely had killed the crew members when someone flew down towards us near the ship. So, point is, this could definitely get a fix and would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Quillyne, Xianthia and Cheesenabber like this.
  6. Chiffon Active Member

We shouldn't have to delete a quest because someone else bugs our update. By making this HQ a requirement for the next xpac, they really need to fix how it's currently working.
    Dude, Quillyne, Chikkin and 2 others like this.
  7. Cheesenabber Active Member

You have my full agreement. I shouldn't have to delete the quest, and I shouldn't be able to bug out someones quest so easily, accidentally or otherwise.
  8. Chiffon Active Member

Just so no one thinks this was an isolated incident that I experienced, a guild mate was doing the quest later that same night and had the same problem I did. He had to wait for someone else to come along and group with.
  9. Quillyne Active Member

This is not an isolated incident at all...the script can get broken for anyone if another player comes along and hails the Captain while she makes her long, slow way down the dock. This has happened to me and to a number of guildmates and it is really frustrating. For me, she either resets at her starting point, or she backtracks a bit, then finally moves along, but the kill update doesn't register and I remain stuck on "follow the Captain". Delete, rinse, and repeat.

All of this could be avoided if the Captain locked onto the initial player/group hailing her. Yes, she walks slower than a slug in salt, but honestly, if there weren't so many interruptions to her pathing, she'd only be locked a few minutes, then ready to go for the next player.

Leaving it open as a free-for-all is making this part of the HQ needlessly painful.
    Mercychalice likes this.
  10. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

best thing you can do is either delete the quest and take it again (tedious) or wait until someone else hails and form a group with them and piggyback the update together.
  11. Quillyne Active Member

Sitting and waiting for another group doesn't always work though...that update is really hit or miss once the script gets hijacked. Really, the best thing is for this to get changed so that the Captain locks on the quester for the few minutes needed to get the update.
    Mercychalice and Prissetta like this.
  12. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I had someone come and hail the captain when she was halfway down the dock towards the ship while doing this today. She turned around and went back to the spot where I had hailed her. We grouped up and she walked all the way to the ship (finally) and we killed the four guys. I (the one who hailed her first) got the update; he didn't. No idea why. (Apparently he didn't realize that hailing the captain after someone else was doing the quest would mess it up - giving him the benefit of the doubt.)
    Mercychalice likes this.
  13. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

+1 to fixing this.

Especially if it's a requirement for the expac, it's ridiculous the way it works at current.
    Prissetta and Chiffon like this.
  14. Kaitheel Developer

Heyya!

I think I've got all of the issues with these particular steps of "The Path of Fear" ironed out. It's taken a sizable change to the design data, requiring separating some of the mini-steps to ensure groups no longer conflict with one another. What does this mean? There will be a new step specified in the quest journal! The flow remains the same, but now the quest updates after she confronts the ship captain.

The updates will be:
    • Speak with Vakrisan Sakulvik. Conversation updates the quest per player.
    • Speak with Captain Delshirrs. Conversation updates the quest for the entire group. She runs towards the end of the dock.
    • Approach Captain Delshirrs at the end of the dock. She confronts the Far Seas captain. Event updates the quest for the entire group.
    • The aggro Far Seas crew can now be seen. Defeat the encounter to update the quest for the entire group.
    • Speak with Captain Delshirrs at the end of the dock. Conversation updates the quest per player.
    I'm going to be testing this further internally, so I don't know when it will be live, but I wanted to let you know of the changes that are coming!

~ Kaitheel
    Mercychalice, Shmogre, Lucus and 3 others like this.
  15. Occam Well-Known Member

Awesome, Kaitheel! Thank you!
    This made me laugh. What you call a run, is actually an excruciatingly slow stroll. This was one of the reasons she got interrupted so often. It took her so freakin' long to meander down the dock that inevitably half the server had time to show up to hail her. :p
  16. Kaitheel Developer

Uh, yeah, except I changed it to an actual run. Run = run.

~ Kaitheel
  17. Lucus Well-Known Member

i'm just waiting for those patch notes to go live:

*fixed issue with the path of fear: added zatozia the torturess to the danak docks to motivate captain delshirrs to work faster and more efficiently.:D
    Mercychalice, Prissetta and Kaitheel like this.