The "Obol" Problem......

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Lament, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Geothe Active Member

I'm not talking about Essenses at all. That's a different topic entirely.
    The conversation in this thread centers on Obol and Greater Spirits, and more recently the conversion between them.
  2. Neiloch Well-Known Member

I was disappointed when they decided against it. Even if it was 20-40 obols for one greater spirit i'd be happy. Anything would be better than nothing. For the many hours of heroic content I have done I have yet to get a greater spirit this entire expansion. As far as I know it could all be a big conspiracy to screw with me and they don't even exist. I'd run heroic content some more to try and get some but its pretty disheartening when after running heroic content for about 8 hours total you haven't gotten any of the one item you want. My guild is amazed at my bad luck.

Other games do similar systems without problems, they just put an expensive curve on it. On DCUO technically you could get raid gear just soloing, would probably just take a month of farming to get one piece.

In any event they are increasing greater spirit drop rate (which puzzles me more at the denial of conversion) and amalgamon, drinal and baelon will drop 1 for each raid member. So i'll be able to buy all my left side adornments eventually, just not as soon as I wanted or anyone else thanks to the awesome RNG.

That's how I saw it. Almost everyone I do know who wanted greater spirits, save for myself, have more than they know what to do with. they have several alts they barely play already completely geared out in drinal steward gear. Seems like being able to swap them wouldn't even have a downside at this point.
    Kalderon likes this.
  3. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Sorry I meant greater spirits I've only seen 2 ever drop and never seen an essence. I get them confused since both are myths imo
  4. slippery Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for confirmation that everyone will actually be able to loot it without doing the sig quest
  5. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Where did you hear that?
  6. slippery Well-Known Member

There (back one page)
  7. Seiffil Active Member

So I'm taking that to mean they'll be removing the need to purchase the keys to get other characters to be able to loot obols, or just that we'll be able to purchase the adorns on any character regardless of whether they've done the questline, but still need one character per account to have finished the quest so we can even collect the obols and spirits whether by doing the quest or having bought the key allowing us to collect them?
  8. slippery Well-Known Member

To me it seems to say that you'll be able to loot the obols and spirits and buy the adorns without doing the sig quest. To buy the steward stuff you'd need to complete the sig quest. However it really hasn't been clarified, and since you currently can't loot obols and spirits if you haven't done the quest I'm skeptical.

That was the biggest problem with the DoV adorns, and is more apparent now. It's an artificial barrier to entry where people have to do a long line of quests to be able to buy adorns. I'm thinking this was meant to avoid that, but it is using a flagged currency so I'm not sure.
    Neiloch likes this.
  9. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Those really never made sense to me. I can see where they might want to 'slow down' progress so content/itemizaton lasts a bit longer but it was a one time unlock. People who really wanted it blazed through and more casual players ended up having to be bogged down with it long term. Honestly I would have done the CoE line just for the cloak, but locking the other aspects of the xpac behind it seemed excessive.

I suppose the raid dropped spirits could drop/looted without a flag check. IMO they should just unlock everything that was gated behind the questline.
  10. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

I didn't think they would be doing it that way.

Chains of Eternity: Current base stat yellow and red adornments are now available for purchase in Obol Plains. Speak to Dulgur Bindmagic in Cardin Ward.

They just added an adornment vendor.
  11. Neiloch Well-Known Member

From what I hear you will still need to have done the sig quest or unlocked it with a key. the raid spirits won't have any special exceptions attached to them.
  12. Eileithia Active Member

Honestly, just do the sig quest, or buy the unlock.. The sig quest can be done in a day start to finish, or 2 if you're really lazy / short on time. It's also MUCH faster the 2nd time around (you know where to go), and you can ignore all the side quests that aren't part of the main quest line which also cuts down on time. Seriously, I don't see why anyone would complain about this as the cloak alone for anyone who isn't raiding (and even some who are) is worth it. It's not like you need to grind out weeks worth of questing and/or faction, just go down the list.
  13. slippery Well-Known Member

Just as soon as I force you to raid before you can solo quest.
  14. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

He never said that obols/spirits would be not behind the quest, only the faction merchant. You have to read anything $OE extremely carefully. Almost done taking my 4 accounts through the quest line so they can all get obols.
  15. slippery Well-Known Member

You can cut hairs all you want. The statement and intent was clear. You'll be able to buy them without doing a long solo questline.

The result is also clear, that was a lie.

It's barrier to entry that is completely unnecessary.
  16. Silzin Active Member

from update notes on today 2/26/2012

"Greater Spirits are now dropped 100% of the time in raids for all participants by Drinal, Baroddas and the Eidolon Dragons."

Spits should be dropping for every one, not just the ppl that have completed the quests. at least the ones from the raid zones should be.
  17. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

But you still wont see the spirits unless you have done the quest or bought the key.
  18. slippery Well-Known Member

That caveat is not there.

We view this from 2 completely different prisms. You view it like this was intended, realized, and there was forethought behind it with mysterious responses that are hiding intent.

I view it like they intended it exactly as they stated it. You could buy the adorns without doing the sig quest. Exactly as stated. Whoever was behind that thought process didn't realize that you can't loot the currency without doing the sig quest. Something that could be easily remedied by just letting everyone loot the currency.
  19. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

It was intended, realized, and there was forethought behind the decision which is why the dev post was worded the way it was.

I hoped you were right, believe me. the obols behind the sig was always a dumb idea to me. but I didn't see them backing off on that this soon.
  20. Lorion New Member

When will the promised Obol to Greater Spirit conversion go live?