The lore revolving Elements of Fear in Sirens Grotto

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by GabenBison, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Meirril Well-Known Member

Ugh I hate correcting myself. The Xulous are not the race that became the shadowmen. Lore in EQ2 (OoLS, Rembrences: Bertox specifically) leads me to believe the Xulous are a race that became Nightbloods (huge hulking demons with curled horns). The Jal'rathe became Shadowmen.
  2. Innania Member

It's all good. Xulous exist in EQ1 lore, so we have some info on them. It's the other races that are new to EQ1.
  3. Mikegonz New Member

Posted some stuff over in the EQ/EQ2 crossover thread you guys might be interested in. Relates to things with Bristlebane and some crossover discussion over in the EQ forums.
    Innania likes this.
  4. Innania Member

I saw that, thanks!
  5. Maergoth Well-Known Member

You're thinking of Remembrances: Prime as to the origin of the nightbloods, assumedly.

Remembrances Berrox is the one talking about Ultor Szanvon leading the king into the crypts. Similar to this story.. http://loreofnorrath.wordpress.com/category/ultor-szanvon-the-putrid/

I know this is a tangent, but the specific mention of this taking place in antonica is confusing.

The remembrances books almost definitely chronicle stories of other planets. There is a Remembrances: Norrath and a Medium of Norrath, so following ANY assumed conventions, it has to be a planet. The idea was always that the shadowed men had connections through the void to several different planets, and had infiltrated them utilizing the obelisks. This was apparently thrown out the window with the Ethernaut stories, which started assigning tapestries in OoLS to each of the Ethernauts, instead of the planets described in the books.

I guess I just want to know what the deal is with these books and the shadowed men connection to other times or planes or planets or what.

Might be a question for SOELive, if the lore devs will even talk to me again, lol.
    Rezikai likes this.
  6. Mixxit Active Member

i sometimes wonder if the the thing that infected them is a force in itself thats driving the shadowed men and these books are chronicles of it - even the first race had to be infected by it at some point

so i see these books as journals of the major events in time and space of this borg like disease
  7. Mixxit Active Member

sorry just to clarify i think the books are not just always about places/planets (and indeed not even the titles may represent planets) but events in time/space so prime may be a planet but berrox may not etc
  8. Meirril Well-Known Member

I agree with Maergoth. The Remembrances series of books sound like they all come from other planets/dimensions where the Void army established obelisks to anchor themselves, gather souls, and expand their army. In each case there is a mention of a spire suddenly appearing and some mass panic. Then in each case some event that sounds like the void army spreading corruption or disease to expand their army. One that could be explained by at least one kind of minion in the OoLS.
  9. Maergoth Well-Known Member

Part of me wants the classic EQ2 shadowed men to pop back into the picture after Kerafyrm's dealt and say how all of this was part of their plan. The shadowed men we faced in TSO were some tangent of weak willed anashti followers, with the greater shadowed men force still being the calculating corruptors in the dark.

I was half expecting a huge conspiracy to surface of void-possessed people running current day Norrath, from the HSTC to the freethinkers. Finding out we've been puppets this whole time in some scheme. Not just some silly forced and pointless revenge plot. You know. like when Fiddy Bobbick turned out to be possessed by a shadowed man? That was so epic I couldn't believe it.

The shadowed man motive is just so incredibly nonexistent. Which is completely different than their motive being unfathomable or mysterious. It's just not there. And it could be easily argued that the shadowed men are collectively (and individually) much more powerful and intelligent than Anashti Sul, Roehn Theer or anyone they've pointlessly submitted to.

Hell, let's not forget that just ONE of their race became the NEW GOD of Health. One Jal`Raeth. And there are presumably thousands of them trapped in the void.
    Rezikai likes this.
  10. Meirril Well-Known Member

It could still be a shadowmen plot. Just it isn't likely. But indulge me for a moment...

A thousand years ago the Jal'Raeth find themselves defeated by the Gods. Anger, bitter, broken, cast into the Void. There they meet Rohen Theer and Anashti'Sul. Immediately they begin to fight, waging a war in hell. Always one step away from oblivion. Slowly, over a hundred years the Jal'Raeth come to terms with their new prison and the other beings trapped in it. They devise a plan. They offer a false peace, a false servitude, a false escape plan. Studying these beings called gods they realize that they can not be destroyed in the Void like the Jal'Raeth. These dieties would escape if only they stopped struggling and allowed themselves to be "destroyed". Their divine energies still reach beyond the Void. Using cunning and deceit they convince the two dieties that they can create "anchors" to delay their destruction. Early experiments find that these Anchors are a danger to the planet, but provide a link to gather valuable resources and new recruits. They experiment with infusing Jal'Raeth with divine energy leading to the first Shadowmen on Norrath. Invisible, almost non-existant. The Jal'Raeth continue their research and experiment on ways to make themselves more "influential" on Norrath. They find they can inhabit the bodies of others which not only provides a more tangible connection to Norrath but also an opportunity to infiltrate the societies of Norrath.
    The Shadowmen come across the records of the Shissar Calendar and see an opportunity to get both their revenge and free themselves from the Void. By causing the power of Rohen Theer's godslaying ability to run rampant on Norrath it will create a dimensional rift leading to the Void and also an opportunity to slay the Gods by having their home planes sucked into the Void as well. The shadowmen origionally planned on capturing Kerafyrm and using him to steal the powers of Godslaying and then arrange for him to fight a diety on Norrath to trigger the event. However, before they could capture enough dragons to overpower Kerafyrm they managed to sway him into following the plan by using his megalomania and hatred so that he would intend to slay Veeshan. Instead the shadowmen agents amongst the dragons cleared all obstacles between Kerafyrm and the plan.
    With the plan coming so close to fruition the focus of the main Jal'Reath force is to finish preparations on their plan to jump from the Void to Norrath when the dimensional tear is created with their entire army in tact, the anchors that will drag the gods to their doom, and the Anchors that will prevent Norrath from falling into the Void so they can be masters over it.
    A small group of Shadowmen agents have already infiltrated the New Combine, taking over leadership of the Army. Vishra will make sure that the gods do not interfere with the plan and will delay the armies actions until the critical moment is upon them. At that point agent Pex will cripple the army long enough for the Jal'Reath army to be upon them and offer up the New Combine as the first victory of the new glorious Jal'Reath Empire.
  11. Maergoth Well-Known Member

It's such a stretch given all the information introduced to us since EoF. You'd think they'd use Kyle Bayle as this lynchpin to taking over Qeynos and Freeport or something. Plus, the shadowed men can obviously leave the void to some extent. They don't seem very restricted at all.

It's just all so backwards :/
  12. Meirril Well-Known Member

yeah, I don't think the Shadowmen have a role to play beyond what they have already. I was just outlining a way it could still work. Definitely not one I believe in.
  13. Rainmare Well-Known Member

Just because Rodcet Nife was a Jal'reath....doesn't mean squat about how powerful they might be. he was chosen to ascend, he didn't force his way into the pantheon. the Jal'reath were punished, cast into the void, and they make it pretty obvious that they anchor and consume world because the planet breaks apart as it gets sucked into the void. they have to hop form world to world to use like a cartoon character hoping from ice flow to ice flow to avoid going over a waterfall. They were united under the most powerful beings there, Theer and Anashti. when Theer and Anashti split...some of the shadowed men loyal to her stayed loyal, and her plan is to take back Health from Rodcet. the rest might still be loyal to Theer, but for all we know, Theer is the on Norrath but there's no sign he has any void followers with him now. the rest of the Shadowedmen may very well be trapped in the Void now leaderless and desperate. Even Kyle Bayle severed his ties to the Void. that's why he talks about Ethernere in his speeches. he made the deal to get out of the Void, and now that he's out, he severed ties.
  14. Maergoth Well-Known Member

They were super advanced. Their means of transportation exceeds anything that we've accomplished. I just find it a little unbelievable that they would submit so easily.