The look of RoK...

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Ixalmaris, Aug 4, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Sarkoris Guest

[p]The best thing about SOGA models for me is being able to turn them off. Simply stupid looking if you ask me. What is with the hair coming down past your nose and covering half your face. Yeah long life expectancy trying to fight looking out of one eye.[/p][p]Yes I know each to their own. I know all about personal opinion and all that. Luckily in my EQ 2 world I can make everyone look as I expect them, not cross overs from DBZ (and yes I am a huge amime fan I just don't think it fits EQ 2).[/p][p]And seeing my main is an Iksar (no SOGA models for them, can't improve on perfection) people see me the one way too.[/p][p]Oh we'll will wait and see but if I end up with a world of Vegeta elf wannabes Norrath will be a little less like home for me.[/p][p] Sark.[/p]
  2. ARCHIVED-Sylaz Guest

I really only care about the appearance of one race, the best race to have ever existed on the face of Norrath, and that is Cazic-Thule's chosen, the Iksar. What is currently in game is not what I think of as an Iksar. Luclin models in EQ1 is not what I think of as an Iksar. This is an Iksar: http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=iksargs8.jpg There's no reason they can't look like that again. (While we're at it that's a good look for High Elves as well)
  3. ARCHIVED-shaunfletcher Guest

Sylaz wrote:
    Forget the big lizard, where can I get a 'blonde chained to a wall'?
  4. ARCHIVED-Sylaz Guest

shaunfletcher wrote:
    Considering she's got that whole Princess Peach thing going on, it shouldn't be too hard to kidnap her.
  5. ARCHIVED-Wildmage Guest

Sylaz wrote:
    ignoring the clothing...that is what Iksar look like only with less pointed snouts.
  6. ARCHIVED-WeatherMan Guest

Imho, this wouldn't be difficult to implement at all. Never mind that there's no way in Hades that they'd ever do it (more's the pity), but there have been allusions to slaves of all sorts in Freeport (the iksar Ithelz in Scale Yard specifically mentioned a high elf slave at one point), and Neriak has slaves all over the place (figuratively speaking). Existing character models could be used, and given a small range of motions (chained by the neck to a post, or by the arms to the wall, or whatever) to simulate a slave. Easiest solution is to make them status items available from the city merchant, or perhaps in a 'special shop' akin to where you buy cats and so forth, and placed in your house much like a monkey or a cat or carnivorous plant or whatever. And I don't see it having any impact on the ESRB rating, either. In Freeport or Neriak, there's little problem, but a slave in Qeynos or Kelethin is difficult to justify (although with the overactive imaginations exhibited by many players, I'm sure we would eventually see many interesting suggestions).
  7. ARCHIVED-DrkVsr Guest

[p][size="small"]You do know that that is the legendary Firona Vie, right?[/size][/p][p][size="small"]Used to have Thralls in Freeport, there was a quest in either Scale Yard or the BarbieVillage (after learning Dwarf went back to see what the dwarf thrall was babbling but they are gone :()[/size][/p]
  8. ARCHIVED-shaunfletcher Guest

Only if you TELL people about it.
  9. ARCHIVED-cr0wangel Guest

The thing people forgot is that some folks I have played their characters since game release, 2004. I don't want him to look like 'someone else' 4 years after playing him everyday.
  10. ARCHIVED-Onur Guest

cr0wangel wrote:
    That's what worries me as well. I've always hoped for a character model revamp somewhere down the line and am happy to hear it's coming soon. There are some races that I would love to play for lore reasons but won't because they look awful, so this is a welcome change. Having said that, I have four Iksar characters created solely based on looks, although I do like the lore behind the race, one of which is likely to replace my main when he's high enough. My current main, on the other hand, is an Erudite, a race whose backstory I find absolutely fascinating, so I care little about his looks, yet in the end I'm happy with the way his race looks now and fear that he might end up as some pretty boy after the change.

I've always expected that if we were to get a model revamp, we'd have the option of keeping our current looks probably as a client side only option a la SOGA. However, since the model revamp seems to be tied to the upcoming skeletal change, it seems this won't be the case. My concern is, what happens if we don't like our characters after the change? Some care a lot about how their characters look and I'm one of those people. Since race means absolutely nothing in this game apart from determining how your character looks, unless of course you're a Fae, I believe many feel the same way. Ending up with a look that doesn't fit the image in my head of that character will definitely make the game less fun for me. So, what happens to me and others who feel the same way if we are not happy with the changes? Having invested so much time on my characters after three years, rerolling them is simply not an option.

So, on one hand, I fear what this change might bring, on the other, I feel it is desperately needed, and believe we will all be pleased with the results when the time comes. However, in case things don't turn out the way we hope, SOE giving everyone a one-time only chance of changing their race after the revamp would, in my opinion, be the best option right now.
  11. ARCHIVED-Sylaz Guest

cr0wangel wrote:
    I feel that perhaps it will be similar to what EQ1 brought with the Luclin update. For the most part, the races didn't change much at all, they simply got more detail, and if you wanted you could customize to get pretty close to your previous appearance, it simply looked "strange" for a while because it was much more detailed.

The only people this really didn't happen to were Iksar, Trolls, and Ogres, who each had to get used to an almost entirely different body structure. However, I don't see a complete overhaul of the races happening here, just a few tweaks to make things better.
  12. ARCHIVED-Wildmage Guest

Sylaz wrote:
    I miss scratching my brown loincloth...and I used to have one BIG Purple Eye and one squinty eye thats gone now :(
  13. ARCHIVED-Kimage Guest

shaunfletcher wrote:
    rl woman here!
    ok I "blond chained to the wall" looks like she is enjoying herself WAY to much! I think she is looking at that tail saying - humm I wonder if thats a measure like men's feet? or a gnomes nose?
  14. ARCHIVED-LanethanAK Guest

Ok, so someone has to have taken a picture of this new player model. Does anyone have a pic they could show? I'm extremely interested in seeing what it looks like, the changes, etc.
  15. ARCHIVED-Kaitar Guest

What I like best about that Iksar picture is the Mayan style armor he's wearing, that would be so cool to have. Otherwise I think the Iksar is ok except his face is kind of cartoony compared to the rest of the drawing. And yeah <_< the blonde looks like she's kind of enjoying checking out his tail or something like " :O oh my..../purse lips "
  16. ARCHIVED-Sarkoris Guest

Sylaz wrote:
    From memory that was the coverart from the Ruins Of Kunark box by Keith Parkinson (may he rest in peace). One very talented artist and a heck of a nice guy to boot.
    Sark.
  17. ARCHIVED-Kalem Guest

I hated the original models. They look like claymation. Humans are scary to look at. Dark Elves are horrible...the list goes on and on. But the aspect I hated the most was that they all looked like something out of the gumby show.
    I like most of the soga models. I don't care for the dwarf model. The dwarves are far too thin. Aside form that, the rest are pretty darn good. It's not that they look like an anime character, but rather that they look a bit more realistic...normal.
    I do hope that the new models have that smooth feel to them, and offer us some decent hair and facial hair customizations.
    I never could understand how someone could like the human and elf original models.
  18. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

I hated my original high elf model too. no matter what I did, he looked like a human with vulcan ears. his face was always too fat, too wide, or both. looked mor elike a 15 year old trekkie than a elegant refined elf.

as to the Ruins pic...on teh actual box, it's easier to see she's not looking at his tail. her eyes are actually closed, and her pose is that 'don't you touch me' type thing. perspective wise the Iksar (who is the prophet of Cazic in e2, btw) is more or less like 4-5 feet in front of her.
  19. ARCHIVED-myst1115 Guest

Romero@Mistmoore wrote:
    I totally agree, while I don't personally like the SOGA models because they remind me of Dragon Ball Z on crack but again that is just my opinion,however I will acknowledge that some factors are okay. But anyway I actually HAVE a SUGGESTION!!!

Can we please have the character design look more Tolkien style? I mean when I play EQ2 I feel like I am in a Lord of the Rings book and I like it... I do not enjoy the FFXI look that went into some of the models with Neriak (SOME MODELS not all) I don't think that it is physically possible to heft a sword that is bigger then your entire body, I mean it looks cool but not what I am looking for in a High Fantasy game.

I do agree that the whole character customization needs a revamp but we shouldnt fight about who likes what model.... they are both outdated and need a revamp to fit the THEME of the game... for example....

Barbarians- We look like fat pro wrestlers... I mean I enjoyed Andre the Giant but I do not want to play him in EQ2.
    Halflings- They all look like butterball turkeys... all belly and furry feet... cant seem to keep my focus off that...
    ALL ELVES- HAIR.... WE WANT MORE HAIR STYLES!!!! Now keep in mind with the lore of Elves, they do not have facial hair so beards and mustaches are a no no, except maybe half elves.
    Kerra- Can we PLEASE have shaggy hair???? I think having a bad fur day would be so awesome! Humans- Well what can I say other then Bland? ummm.... nothing... just bland. More customizations please.
    Froglok and Iksar- More scale styles and color combinations. And please make the male Iksar head fit the body... looks like someone squished his head.
    Trolls and Ogres- Well Ogres look like bummbling idiots so I ask that the facial expressions look more fierce and not quite so dare I say...... special ed? Trolls all I ask for them is a bit of a Goofy walk... you know where they are leaned back and hunched at the same time? Makes them look tall and creepy.. Love the rest of the designs for Trolls.. when I want to puke every time I turn on the computer I just look at my troll! But can we maybe add some pimples? I mean they enjoy Bugjuice a bit too much and eat way too many chocolate covered fae wings.

Erudite
    - I think that we need something to make us look less like the aliens that abducted Ryan Seacrest and turned him into a evil show host that NEVER LEAVES THE TV AHHHHHHHH (Hides under bed sobbing "please don't probe me").... oh um sorry... yeah ummm more style for Erudites please.
    Fae and fairy type evil...... things-Although I know that the fae (this encompasses both arasi and fae alike) are supposed to be small but COME ON... I cant see a thing cause some Barbarian decided to wear the loin cloth and Mr Happy is hanging free... I really don't enjoy that view... can we be a little bigger??? maybe.... please... with a cherry on top?

Well at the moment I cant think of anything that will make you want to wash your eyes out as much as that image of the Barbarian in the loin cloth... heheh... so umm please look at my ideas? Give me about a week or so and I will post a couple of images that I drew of a few toons... thank you devs!

Oh yeah before I forget... Please oh please for the love of Mithanial Marr CHANGE the Paladin class helm!!!! I know that EVERY paladin despises the design. We look like we put a trash can on our heads and pasted dove wings on the sides.
  20. ARCHIVED-Polywogus Guest

Sylaz wrote:
    1 of the best things about the Luclin models was the option to have or not to have. I have not read this entire thread, but from prior threads & the skimming here, the impression I'm getting is if they are to change more than just the skeleton, SOGA will be gone & original will be changed a bit. Cr0w's point is spot-on. Despite my desire to want new & better threads, if I heavily dislike the character I've put so much time into post-change, how disappointing! Granted, I'm a pessimist when it comes to character models & EQ (both Live & II)...I guess @ this point the most I can hope for is that the characters do not turn out androgynous (sp?) like the human model EQLive went w/ a few months ago (unless they actually scrapped it after so much backlash...).