The Future of EQ2 ZAM

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Cyliena, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Cyliena Well-Known Member

Hey all, figured since I've gotten PMs within minutes of the latest news going up I should post as well.

First off, this post is NOT an official statement from ZAM, but instead from the mere human you know as Cyliena.

You may or may not have seen the announcement from ZAM today about the future of ZAM Network. The tl;dr is that the company is opening an LA office, and not everyone who works for ZAM will choose to move there.

It's no secret that Calthine and I have been the only ones working on EQ2 ZAM for years now. Calthine was unfortunately laid off a few weeks ago. As I am choosing to remain in my neck of the great lakes, that means I will eventually meet that same fate, though that's still some months out.

So what does this mean for EQ2 ZAM? This is something I really don't know. It will depend on who steps in to the news or content department to fill the gaps. It will depend on how the content and editorial team decides to handle the site after I move on. It will also depend on the EQ2 community continuing their efforts to help with updating our wiki. I truly hope someone will take up the love and passion for the site within ZAM, but at this point it's just not something I know for certain.

In the meantime, I will continue to post news and patch notes to the site. If there's new content to cover prior to my termination date, I will do my best to cover it between my editorial duties. Most of all, I hope to see all the faces who have supported us through the years remain, because you guys are truly what helped shape EQ2 ZAM into what it is today.

It's been seven years for me and a hell of a good run. Thank you to everyone, even those who are going to reply with the obligatory snide gold seller comments. :D
    Prissetta, Torvaldr, Bashem and 9 others like this.
  2. Lucus Well-Known Member

Sad to see you going. I hope where ever you end up working you enjoy it and find success. ZAM is a great site for EQ2 i'd really hate it if we loose it.
  3. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Why can't you work remotely, many companies are doing or will be doing more of that these days? I love Zam and I do hope it continues! Will hate seeing you go as well. So what specifically do you need and what will happen and why the move?
    Prissetta, Lilaeth and GrunEQ like this.
  4. Spindle Well-Known Member

Waaaaaaaaaaa! Sniff, sniff. We NEEEDS you!
    Charlice, Mizgamer62, Sambril and 2 others like this.
  5. Cyliena Well-Known Member

Currently, nearly all of ZAM is remote, myself included. With the decision to centralize to an LA office, that eliminates most, if not all, remote positions.

Trust me, if I could continue doing what I do I would. Since I took over as Managing Editor a couple years ago my work life has been a whirlwind, but an absolutely awesome experience. That made it hard to juggle doing content for EQ2 ZAM as well, but I wouldn't have traded it for anything... except having to relocate. I'm a mother of three and my husband is a collegiate professor, so relocation is simply not an option at this stage in my life.

The main ZAM site is definitely not going anywhere. It's the side content sites that I'm unsure of, and as those decisions will be beyond my tenure, I will have no sway over them.

While I won't say this myself, this may be interesting to some of you as well: https://www.twitter.com/hickeroar/status/605524965765480449
    Mizgamer62 and Moonpanther like this.
  6. Avirodar Well-Known Member

I was hardly a regular eq2.zam user, as the content in it was not really suited to me. However, I did visit the site a few times over the last few years, and regardless of what happens, just wanted to say thank you for the contributions to the EQ2 community.
    GrunEQ likes this.
  7. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

*hugs*
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  8. Katz Well-Known Member

It's strange to me that something that is primarily an online site requires people to not work remotely.

I've used the content frequently and appreciate your contributions to the community. I'm sorry to see these changes affect people we know.

Good luck and best wishes.
    Bashem, GrunEQ, Sambril and 3 others like this.
  9. Sambril Well-Known Member

This is really bad news. Calthine and Cyliena have been long time supporters of EQ2 and their work with ZAM has been outstanding. While I don't suppose their love of the game will change it really sucks that they will no longer be able to show that through ZAM. I have made some small contributions there over the years and it just won't be the same without them (if the EQ2 portion continues at all :().

I remember Calthine in particular on the old old boards and learned how to craft from her posts on the crafting boards [remember when each tradeskill had its own board] in her pre-ZAM [then Alakazam] days. I give both her and Cyliena my heartfelt thanks and hope that the future brings something brighter.
  10. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Very sad news. You both are so awesome so I am sure you will have great adventures wherever the road takes you. Thanks for being awesome!!!
    Cyliena likes this.
  11. ZUES Well-Known Member

It's a website that can be accessed from anywhere in the world. Why would it require staff to relocate?
    Katz, GrunEQ and Cyliena like this.
  12. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

They apparently want their staff prowling the halls of the gaming companies HQ's.
    Cyliena likes this.
  13. Wintir Active Member

You two are primo peeps! We will be the poorer without you.
  14. Cyliena Well-Known Member

Scoring invitations to do such a thing is rare, whether you're considered to be press or content. Especially companies like Blizzard or Riot.
  15. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

In this day and age, it seems strange that they would put emphasis on physical location over contributors who are online. A head scratcher. You will be missed.
  16. Sharann Well-Known Member

While some companies are just starting to allow work from home (been doing it myself for 8 years now but in my country it's an exception), other companies are just doing the opposite and want everyone back in the office (Yahoo! as an ex).

ZAM is my primary website for EQ2 along with EQ2wire and EQ2furniture and I really loved all the work and effort you put in maintaining it up to date. I really hope there is an option for you to remain on ZAM. If not, you will be missed for sure.
    Prissetta, Cyliena and GrunEQ like this.
  17. Bashem Well-Known Member

Cyliena likes this.
  18. Torvaldr Well-Known Member

Thanks for all you've given to Everfrost and the community.
    Prissetta and Cyliena like this.
  19. Cyliena Well-Known Member

I'm not planning on leaving Everfrost any time soon, y'all are stuck with me! ;)
    Prissetta and Siren like this.
  20. Liral Active Member

Sorry to hear. Zam is a great site and you've been doing awesome. Hope they take care of the EQ2 side of things and don't let it just die on the vine.
    Feldon, Prissetta and Cyliena like this.