The evolving role of a Ranger. Progression of close combat to ranged.

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Kagara, Nov 23, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

When you get to 20, you are a Ranger. You get your new ranger bow, at 21 you get the ability to make arrows from your surroundings, and you are ready to conquer the world.

But you get basically three ranged attacks at 20, which don't do THAT much damage. But the thing is, as you evolve you will be getting more and more ranged bow attacks, as well as ranged melee attacks. It's something you grow into.

In a fight, always always always start off with your debuffs. That is your Impale, and dirty tricks. These are both debuffs, and should always be your first attacks. Follow these attacks by your biggest attacks, which will be stalk or shrouded strike w/ shadowblade, and Back Shot. You will see much more damage being done to your targets. Which of course is your role in a fight. The higher level you go, the more of your attacks will have a ranged element to them, so you can start your Ranged Attack, and while going through all your ranged attacks, still get some pretty decent bow damage in.

Also, remember your buffs, keep them up, this will of course add to your overall damage.
  2. ARCHIVED-Arjinex Guest

3. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

Rangers are not hitting for 1k+. The highest melee hit right now, is 1058 by an Assasin in my guild. This is not the norm. I am level 29, my highest hit is over 300, but I am averaging about 250 on my big hits. The ones that got those crazy super numbers, have either hit a bug, there is a problem reporting, or hit some kinda of super critical on a HO.
  4. ARCHIVED-Arjinex Guest

The hit for 1058 by the assassin, was that a legitimate hit or a HO critical or bug? I am curious as the damage output difference between an assassin and a ranger. I am speaking more to higher hits, not sustained dps over the course of a fight.
  5. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

This would be a better question over on the Assassin boards. We are rangers, and should be trying to compare ourselves to other classes.
  6. ARCHIVED-Arjinex Guest

My question wasn't worded accurately, so I'll give it another go. In regard to high-damaging hits, how to rangers fare compared to assassins? The reason I ask, is that on eq2players.com , nearly every high level melee hit shown is by an assassin (at least on my server), with few or no rangers listed. Is this because ranged damage with bows doesn't fall into eq2players.com melee damage category, and therefore the largest ranger hits are not being tracked alongside assassins? Are ranger attacks tracked as magic attacks? This might have no in-game bearing whatsoever. I was just curious.
    Thanks for the info so far, btw. It's appreciated.
  7. ARCHIVED-Ravi Guest

Name Class Level Guild Server Weapon Damage
    1.Slythe Assassin 21 Unguilded Everfrost Assassin's Quickblade Of Silence 305[IMG]
    2.Mujehu Assassin 22 Unguilded Everfrost steel tribal spear 319[IMG]
    3.Angyl Assassin 21 Malice Everfrost Assassin's Quickblade Of Silence 280[IMG]
    4.Wahaa Assassin 22 Neo Alliance Everfrost steel tribal spear 279[IMG]
    5.Ravi Ranger 20 Unguilded Everfrost Arrell's bow of alacrity 259[IMG]
    6.Riki Assassin 21 Malice Everfrost Assassin's Quickblade Of Silence 253[IMG]
    7.Kvette Assassin 21 Blackhands Everfrost Assassin's Quickblade Of Silence 278[IMG]
    8.Pahwe Ranger 22 Blood and Ice Everfrost iron cutlass225[IMG]
    9.Jacen Ranger 20 Transcendents Everfrost Willow Wood Hunting Blade 206[IMG]
    10.Numina Predator 19 Shattered Souls Everfrost Willow Wood Blade of Service 180
    Yeah, our sever is still low levels since its one of the newer ones. But I am the only ranged hit on the high damage chart. And I am 2 levels below Mujehu and also was using Iron Arrows - I should be on Carbonite now. I should be competitive soon.
    Sorry if this is a mess... I miss code tags ><
    Message Edited by Ravi on 11-23-2004 10:05 AM
  8. ARCHIVED-Arjinex Guest

This is the list for Najena, where I play, and why I was wondering. Thanks, btw Ravi that helped.
    1. Dezacrator Assassin 28 Element Najena steel stiletto 841
    2. Sypher Assassin 29 Element Najena steel short spear 795
    3. Akuma Assassin 27 Crimson Gale Najena steel leafblade 770
    4. Samus Assassin 26 Element Najena steel short spear 602
    5. Zaphiel Assassin 25 Defilers Najena Assassin's Quickblade Of Silence 577
    6. Soonia Assassin 27 Unguilded Najena steel leafblade 544
    7. Jayson Assassin 24 Defilers Najena steel stiletto 503
    8. Nakari Assassin 24 Valence Najena Shadowlurker 441
    9. Stabs Assassin 23 Element Najena Assassin's Quickblade Of Silence 335
    10. Dangri Assassin 23 Unguilded Najena Willow Wood Hunting Blade 329

Message Edited by Arjinex on 11-23-2004 10:35 AM
  9. ARCHIVED-leafnin Guest

I think the reason we're not seeing alot of Rangers/Predators on the scoreboard with Bow hits is due to the lack of higher end Bow specials at the early stages. With so many people starting off with Sneak->Ambush-> -HO- Lucky Break->Cheap Shot->Melee Off-> Shadow Blade -End HO- type combo they don't feel the need to start off with Bow skills. Once Rangers start growing into their bow skills we should see higher Bow hits. For right now HO makes melee more enticing.
    Message Edited by leafnin on 11-23-2004 10:50 AM
  10. ARCHIVED-ginathepumpkin Guest

I generally pull with backshot (adept1) and get hits from the mid 100s to the high 200s. I just upgraded my bow to a better one though, so i'll see how that does. I have shadowblade adept1 too and that does about the same dam as backshot, but i generally only use it in group situations
  11. ARCHIVED-Justafreaksname Guest

Your not going to see the big hit from rangers..most of those ppl got those from HOs...Rangers do alot of damage all at once...Tripleshot for me dose 90ish 3times in 1 shot that stuff adds up....throw in a backshot that at lev 30 hits in the 300 to 250 range.. along with a Wound.....u just did 700damage in about 5seconds

Message Edited by Justafreaksname on 11-25-2004 07:44 AM
  12. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

No, those people got them from a 5min single attack. Well, the non magic ones anyways. I was comparing attacks with an assasin whom is just 1 level higher than me, and we both hit for about the same damage. I can just do mine quicker sometimes, becuase all of my attacks work at range, where has he has to move in close and position. His 5min attack does 900 -1k damage, but under very specific circumestances ;) Which you will have to figure out for yourself.