The EQ2 Time-Locked Server Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vinyard, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

It's already been said that the suburbs cannot be brought back with the staffing they currently have. /shrugh. Then again for years it was said Progression Servers were undoable. Who knows what rabbit could come out of the hat next.
    Avirodar likes this.
  2. Charlice Well-Known Member

I wonder how long this rabbit's been in the hat. Surely they just didn't pull it out a week or so ago.
    I wish Halas wasn't going to be in it. That place should be set on fire.
  3. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Why would Halas be in the initial release? It isn't part of Shattered Lands.
  4. Charlice Well-Known Member

I thought I read in one of the threads that it was. I hope you're right. I hate it. (the starting zone I'm talking about. stupid snowy areas)
    Louly likes this.
  5. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

No dev confirmation about anything regarding starter zones. Pure speculation (and a lot of it, too) going on.

Edit: I remember my introduction to New Halas (once I finally found the city and hollered HI to my friend...16ish by then I think). He was playing a necro and waltzed right into the middle of New Halas....The game lost some fun that day. Faction fun. He was a necro and the guards just did not care.

Edit2: EQ + bone chips....then still sneaking around Cabilis because the necromancer faction doesn't get raised by bone chips. I sorta wanted to do Greenmist questline with my human SK, but gaining factions just turned into too much of a pain in the patootie.
  6. Josgar Active Member

I'm hoping they launch with all four of our current starting zones, plus Shattered Lands, plus the 1-50 zones in Faydwer and unlock more areas in Faydwer as the level cap increases with DoF and KoS.

[Otherwise I'll have to start in Halas. Ew.]
  7. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I'm expecting more of a dump toons in Freeport/Qeynos beside their racial mentor.

Edit: I'm also not sure what races will be available upon release. For example, frogloks were unlocked via a quest...will that be required again?
  8. cally New Member

P99 (vanilla EQ before 1999) is a separate game altogether with different people that don't even work for Daybreak, I think. I understand that P99 was the brainchild of some players who had to research how to do this. Probably to bring back the original Everquest II might require it to be a different game altogether. Who knows. There were some things I would be happy not to bring back, ie: having workstations kill you, spirit shards, and group experience debt. Some of the class quests were a pain too.
  9. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

People seem to think TLP = nostalgia server. It won't be, can't be. Insanity ensues.
    Charlice and cally like this.
  10. Mystfit Well-Known Member

That's

That's why I suggested they allow us just the one.
    I can't say as I too started around DOF. It had city and suburb houses and MajDul houses were new for DOF.
  11. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

I don't think Halas was tied to a specific expac, so technically it could be considered part of SL. The evil side has a harder time though - Gorowyn is definitely dependent on RoK, and Neriak, although introduced in a live update, is part of EoF I believe? Either way, though, I think Halas and Neriak as starter cities is acceptable, unless Daybreak pull off a miracle and get the old starter content back.
  12. Rob_Barratheon New Member

I was going through the few accounts I have, seeing what I had on each character and consolidating, when I discovered that I had one level 1 character that was still on Queen's Colony. Character is logged in right now, and I even took a screen shot of the character saying today's date, just in case there was any question. The zone still exists, the quest NPCs still are interacting, and if I attempt combat, I will likely be successful in interacting with the mobs as well.

Just some interesting info for everybody to mull over, and if requested, I will post the screenshot.
  13. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

I have a level 10 currently in Queen's Colony on Test and when I try to play her I get this message: Zone is temporarily unavailable. Please try again in a few minutes. I have been getting that message for years. So please post your screenshots and tell us which server your character is on.
  14. Rob_Barratheon New Member

I'm on Everfrost, character name is Fimissa. Currently online, trying to get FRAPS going, never used it, and I got a phone call.
  15. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

EQ2U checks out. My guess is if you were to go through the Island, and try to take the boat, you'd end up in limbo. But perhaps, the reason it is accessible now is because they're secretly working on it. Worst-case scenario is that they don't get it done, and nobody is any the wiser, since they already told us it likely won't be returning. Really all that needs to be done is the transitional bit at the end where you used to get sent to your racial suburb. Then again it's been years since I was on the Isle so maybe I'm forgetting something.
  16. Rob_Barratheon New Member

[IMG]

Played for a bit, currently level 6. Not going to do more with this character though.
    Charlice and GrunEQ like this.
  17. Neurology Member

How does one COV to you? :D
    Louly likes this.
  18. Hammdaddy Active Member

Just the regular houses from the cities, it should stay this way.
  19. Chrisworld Active Member

So much for the islands being gone and not able to come back. I asked this question before.

The zone assets exist in the client, the zones are popped and still exist in the DB (as seen in the queens colony screen above) so what EXACTLY is the limitation preventing them from being re activated (city neighborhoods and all too)? I'm scratching my head here. What is so difficult in replacing the zone warps and proper quest lines?
  20. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

They never said the Isles don't exist anymore, and didn't even say it was impossible to bring them back. The reason they gave was that the progression from the Isle to the cities no longer exists, which makes more sense since the zones you ended up in were remade with the Qeynos/Freeport revamp and likely replaced, versus the Isles that were simply switched off.

Sure, it doesn't seem like there's much to do to add them back, but a) we don't have access to the code, so we have no real idea how much work is actually involved and at best can make WAGs, and b) the fact that it requires any work at all means they are likely doing a cost/benefit analysis. It's not worth tying up a couple devs and putting off the beta even for a day or two, just to bring back a zone that most people will spend at most 20 minutes in.