The EQ2 Time-Locked Server Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vinyard, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Gourdon Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that Neurology was suggesting that the inclusion of Butcherblock would cause people to skip Antonica and the Commonlands. If the xp is slowed down enough, especially if the kill xp is reduced dramatically, people will do all three. I actually leveled Gourdon up to somewhere in the 80s with normal xp turned off (I was playing EQ2 on and off and did not catch up to max level until Sentinel's Fate). This made for an experience where I did not think about killing more mobs, but about doing more things. Obviously, this isn't sustainable going to 90 because of a lack of content, but it made my lower level experience much more interesting. I don't think that they should turn off regular xp like I did for the progression server, but I do think that there should be a stronger focus on xp that doesn't come from killing mobs. That would push people off the golden path.
  2. Ucala Well-Known Member

I would hope he didn't mean that, cause that would just be an unsmart move on his part, clealry BBM wasn't around at launch and it would be part of the expac it came with if they did a time progression server.
    so it was either a moot point or just plain dumb.
    /shrugs

I was hoping to have fun in old eq2 again, but from the sounds of it, it will just be a time locked current eq2, which doesn't sound very great
  3. Josgar Active Member

They were responding to my post where I suggested they launch with classic and Faydwer Zones from 1-50, Gorowyn, Halas, Kelethin, and Neriak, and first two adventure packs... Basically anything in the 1-50 level range.

Since it sounds like they don't want to use starting isles, I figured this would be the best way to be all inclusive for our current starting areas without launching the server with classic, DoF, KoS, and EoF unlocked.
  4. Chrisworld Active Member

Interesting that it hasn't happened yet because pj99 has been around forever. Everquest II has a loyal following too and it honesty surprises me there isn't a project 2004 movement somewhere slowly building the game the way they want.
  5. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I've worked in development. Keeping systems that can even run older stuff can be a challenge. Had to pretty much archive computers with labels on them...this development system (product list), that development system (product list)...had to keep them until the company no longer supported the product. We had a '386 with the original version of Xilinx's software on it.

I'm guessing that when they say rolling things back would break a lot of other stuff it involves the associated systems. The servers do not stand alone, they rely on database servers, login servers, and not sure what all else since I've never worked in gaming. But all the systems need to speak the same language or nothing will work.

Edit: From things I've read I would guess that EQ has never switched languages for its' various systems. I'm just guessing here. There is obviously a fundamental difference in the difficulty of creating a P'04 vs a P'99.
  6. Septik New Member

I have been playing eq2 off and on since the servers came up. I love old school eq2 and raided all the way up to the first release of DoV. When I heard the news about a time locked progression server my heart skipped a beat. When I heard it wasn't going to be vanilla eq2 I as brought crashing back down to earth. I realize that this a money grab by DBG....BUT... it could be a great thing for those of us that yearn for the days of old. Hopefully DBG realizes that the better they make it for us then the more money they can make. While I have only skimmed the forums and some of this may have been said already.. but here is my two cents.

1. Feldon's idea about adding the buff/debuff sounds great, but i think this needs to be coupled with a few itemization changes. While I know they can't go back and look at / change all the items that drop, they can change the values on crafted gear fairly easily. One of the worst, and dumbest things about old school eq2, and the reason many quit, was at certain points MC gear was better than the fabled stuffed that dropped from epic X 2 and X 4 bosses. Having WAY lower stats on crafted gear will help the difficulty level, as well as, not tick people off that the boss they just killed dropped crap,and you wouldn't trade for gear you bought for a couple of plat on the broker. All they would have to change is the the crafted weapons, armor ,and jewelry up to tier 6. If MC gear remains the same, then why raid, and then really whats the point of doing a progression server. IT's an old argument from waaaaay back.

2. Xp needs to be slowed down back to vanilla days. It should take a few weeks to hit level 50.

3. Don't release AA, vet rewards, loyalty merchants, mercs, etc. until the expansion that they came with comes unlocked.

4. Let the server vote when to unlock. When 75% of us choose to then you can unlock the next xpac.

While the Isle of Refuge, class progression, and hovels and such won't be there. This still could be a great thing to play. I am looking forward to it.
    Alenna and Dulcenia like this.
  7. Vazdeline New Member

What is the earliest build data you guys have? Server data? Do you have anything from 2004-2008ish? Can you make this a community project? Or is this a cash grab?

Why not do the right thing and try to create an authentic experience, if it's not possible--so be it, but I find it hard to believe the above information is completely gone.

A lot of the things about the original EQ2 had merit, it wasn't a piñata fest, encounters were difficult, EQ stuck to it's guns on actually needing role classes such as pullers and CC etc. In many ways it was EQ1 with cooler abilities, graphics, great stories, quests(Qeynos Claymore anyone?), and a few good expansions until (IMO) Kunark. Tradeskilling was a fun mini game, and had purpose. I remember my Wizard needed to port people even in Kunark. It was cool to be a benefactor in fast travel which forced a social experience.
  8. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

They've already said (in different words than I'm using) that if they push the early builds out half the game won't work. It's more the associated systems that support it, is my guess.
  9. Vazdeline New Member

Right, but server data is pretty relative. Anything with a value(quests, gear stats, npc's, you name it) could be re-entered into the game without screwing with much/any of the game assets. That's why I suggested allowing the community to help out, you can get stuff like this dialed down correctly with a bunch of eager nerds(myself included) willing to help with the digital labor.
  10. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Re-entered being the key word. Takes time...maybe an unpaid intern?

Edit: I seriously doubt anything done other than in house where it could be overseen would be permissable by any company gaming or otherwise.
  11. Mystfit Well-Known Member

Maybe as a gift to everyone who plays on the progression server..one prestige home....the Isle of Refuge ;) Since we can't have the actual zone there :)
  12. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Holly said the TLP server will not have prestige houses.

Edit: What existed at launch for housing? I started during DoV when decorators were already well established.
  13. Vazdeline New Member

Something/someone. This sort of thing would take a lot of time, but (another opinion) there is a future in reliving the experience of past titles, so it would be a worthy investment. There was a definite level of passion put into what has been done at p99, and it was for free.

Just do a google search for any mmo emulator you thought was great in the past, and they are out there. It has been like this for quite some time. The paradox is, I haven't seen anyone beat what the player communities have done in terms of quality/experience in comparison what a paid studio has done. (See p99, or UO T2A for example.) That's why I suggest putting the power into those communities, who are already devoted to the cause.
  14. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I think the problem with EQ2 is that an engine could be developed that would run the game up until that...LU something or other that peeps often mention. Then it would need a different one. Honestly I only started playing during DoV when Freeport server hit the web as the test bed for F2P, so have no experience with what changed with that LU....what the heck does LU stand for anyway?

I was on EQ when EQ2 launched and had 0 desire to try it even. When I got bored of EQ I visited a friend who was in WoW...got stuck there for far too many years. It was like a breath of fresh air after EQ....first thing I did was level a warrior SOLO to level cap. No stuck in general /lfg for hours...days...centuries. Well it always seemed that long anyway.
  15. KhaineUK Active Member

You started with a 1 room hovel in the "racial suburbs", which you can't play in anymore.

Eventually you could upgrade to a 3 room house in one of the more major areas. Then a 5 room.
    Dulcenia likes this.
  16. Vazdeline New Member

Another thing that was great. If you wanted a discount, you had to travel to a players apartment and buy the item from there. I think you could get up to 20% off the auction surcharge? This was a pretty nifty system that offered both the auction house aspect as well as the personalized social aspect of traveling to someones home. Definitely added to the feel of the world.
  17. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

You still do. It can be up to 40% if you're of an opposing faction. Krono are the exception...they have no broker fee at all.

Edit: Ironically, F2P players would likely still be limited to 5p x level if it were not for krono.

Edit2: the amount of plat a F2P player could carry was adjusted after SoE realized that no F2P player could carry enough plat to purchase a krono. F2P also could not enter housing to avoid the broker surcharge...Not sure, but I think both changes either happened at the same time or they happened close together.
  18. Charlice Well-Known Member

Why can't we have Willow Wood? The zone is still in game. Are Daybreak unable to rid it of gnolls? /pout
    Alenna likes this.
  19. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

When it was removed they were busy linking zones to reduce zoning....or something. Not sure why that was done, but the mechanics of both Freeport and Qeynos were altered at that time. Now with the new database and all, it is very likely an irreversable change.
  20. Charlice Well-Known Member

You can still do quests in Willow Wood. I want it back NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::(

/no longer laughing Dulcenia!